Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Chris Mohler

Default mDNS & 224.0.0.251

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Dake K. Odzangba <odzangba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I noticed this strange ip address: 224.0.0.251 when I was reviewing

Caused by avahi. Here is a blog post about it:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/zeroconf-ubuntu

Basically, avahi is trying to "auto-discover" resources on the network
- in the blog post, the developer makes the case that it's similar to
DHCP: IE, it's technically an open port, but it's useful enough to
allow.

Chris

Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM
"Dake K. Odzangba"

On Monday 16 February 2009 02:42:43 Chris Mohler wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Dake K. Odzangba <odzangba@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hello, I noticed this strange ip address: 224.0.0.251 when I was

> > reviewing

> Caused by avahi. Here is a blog post about it:

> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/zeroconf-ubuntu

> Basically, avahi is trying to "auto-discover" resources on the network

> - in the blog post, the developer makes the case that it's similar to

> DHCP: IE, it's technically an open port, but it's useful enough to

> allow.

> Chris

Thanks

--

Odzangba,

Blog: http://odzangba.wordpress.com

Registered Linux User #431909

Registered Linux Machines: #337242 #363374 #392526