Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
"H.S."

Default heads up, folks: random vnc (remote desktop) attempts

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lesson: looks like there are rogue attempts to open a vnc connection on
>> random IP addresses. This is akin to random attempts at trying to
>> connect via the SSH port that many people may have noticed in
>> /var/log/auth.log. So folks, just do not setup your remote desktop
>> without some sort of security, preferably both password and permission
>> prompt.
>
> I'm sorry, but this is not news. rdp, vnc, ssh, telnet, etc. are been
> exploited since ages.

I do not run telnet or rdp or most other services. Ionly run SSH on my
machine. And apache on a webserver machine. That's about it. I started
using VNC the way I described earlier only this very first time. But as
a best practice, I asked my friend to enable the prompt for permission
as we were not using password at that time.

> You should never run services without security. In the case of vnc,
> run it through ssh, and run ssh with keys (not passwords.)

Already do so. Some with and others without passwords. Tunneling the
various services through SSH has been one of the most wonderful things I
discovered when I started Linux some years ago. I have even installed
Cygwin in some windows machines which I connect using a VNC client.

Does Canonical provide anything similar to Cygwin?

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does Canonical provide anything similar to Cygwin?

Yes. Ubuntu :-)

I know, I know... I just couldn't resist :-)

Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Lie Ryan

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:54:54 -0200, Norberto Bensa wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does Canonical provide anything similar to Cygwin?
>
> Yes. Ubuntu :-)
>
> I know, I know... I just couldn't resist :-)

What do you (Norberto Bensa) mean by "providing anything similar to
Cygwin"? Cygwin's purpose is to provide POSIX environment (i.e. Unix/
Linux environment) to Windows. Since Ubuntu is 100% Linux, it already
fully POSIX. I think you might have meant whether there is a program that
provide Windows' Environment in Ubuntu, in that case it is "wine".

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Christopher Chan

Lie Ryan wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:54:54 -0200, Norberto Bensa wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does Canonical provide anything similar to Cygwin?
>>>
>> Yes. Ubuntu :-)
>>
>> I know, I know... I just couldn't resist :-)
>>

> What do you (Norberto Bensa) mean by "providing anything similar to
> Cygwin"? Cygwin's purpose is to provide POSIX environment (i.e. Unix/
> Linux environment) to Windows. Since Ubuntu is 100% Linux, it already
> fully POSIX. I think you might have meant whether there is a program that
> provide Windows' Environment in Ubuntu, in that case it is "wine".

I beg to differ. Linux is not fully posix. Any UNIX operating system is
fully posix but not GNU/Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX