Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Pat

Default Odd problem with Gmail and Thunderbird

I have 2 Gmail accounts, one I use a lot and the other rarely used. I
have both set up in Thunderbird using imap and up until recently
everything worked well. Now I can't get my messages to download. There's
no error, just that when I use Get Mail it says there are no new
messages. But my messages on the other Gmail account come in fine.

I can access the email online and have deleted everything with an
attachment since sometimes that seems to stop them from downloading.
Actually I've deleted just about everything once I read it. But there
are some email I want to keep -- and I'd like to have them on my PC.

Finally, I can send mail with no problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? I have tried switching back and forth
from imap to Pop, which doesn't help.

I'd like to get my email downloaded since I have a number of folders set
up and filters in place and the Gmail webmail program doesn't let you
sort mail in any way.

--

Pat Brown

pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
www.pabrown.ca

Now available from All Romance Ebooks and Mobibook, I Do!, an anthology of love and acceptance

Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
gary herbert

Pat wrote:
> I have 2 Gmail accounts, one I use a lot and the other rarely used. I
> have both set up in Thunderbird using imap and up until recently
> everything worked well. Now I can't get my messages to download. There's
> no error, just that when I use Get Mail it says there are no new
> messages. But my messages on the other Gmail account come in fine.
>
> I can access the email online and have deleted everything with an
> attachment since sometimes that seems to stop them from downloading.
> Actually I've deleted just about everything once I read it. But there
> are some email I want to keep -- and I'd like to have them on my PC.
>
> Finally, I can send mail with no problem.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this? I have tried switching back and forth
> from imap to Pop, which doesn't help.
>
> I'd like to get my email downloaded since I have a number of folders set
> up and filters in place and the Gmail webmail program doesn't let you
> sort mail in any way.

I have the same problem... I hit get mail and nothing comes in but if I
click on a folder a message is there... I real pain...

Gary

Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Pat wrote:
> I have 2 Gmail accounts, one I use a lot and the other rarely used. I
> have both set up in Thunderbird using imap and up until recently
> everything worked well. Now I can't get my messages to download. There's
> no error, just that when I use Get Mail it says there are no new
> messages. But my messages on the other Gmail account come in fine.
>
> I can access the email online and have deleted everything with an
> attachment since sometimes that seems to stop them from downloading.
> Actually I've deleted just about everything once I read it. But there
> are some email I want to keep -- and I'd like to have them on my PC.
>
> Finally, I can send mail with no problem.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this? I have tried switching back and forth
> from imap to Pop, which doesn't help.

Could it be that Gmail doesn't like to see two accounts open at the same
time from the same terminal? Last time I tried this (IMAP) it kept
asking for passwords all the time.

> I'd like to get my email downloaded
Then wouldn't it be better to use POP?

> since I have a number of folders set
> up and filters in place and the Gmail webmail program doesn't let you
> sort
Although it can't sort, labels and filters are very efficient, have you
tried?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - So Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Liam Proven

2009/2/15 Pat <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com>:
> I'd like to get my email downloaded since I have a number of folders set
> up and filters in place and the Gmail webmail program doesn't let you
> sort mail in any way.

You are mistaken. Gmail has excellent sorting - I am reading this
message right now in a Gmail filtered sorted folder.

[1] Create a label, e.g. Ubuntu-users.
[2] Create a filter. Match from the source address, e.g.
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
[3] Tell it to assign the label
[4] Tick the box that says "archive this message (skip the inbox)"

Optionally,
[5] Click "apply to the messages below".

If you create labels in Gmail with a slash character in, Thunderbird
will see those as subfolders.

E.g. make a set of labels:
ubuntu
ubuntu/users
ubuntu/sounder
ubuntu/developer
ubuntu/server

And Gmail will see those as separate "folders" - labels - but
Thunderbird will create a hierarchy:
ubuntu
|_users
|_sounder