Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Mark Pyles

Default Flash player 8

Hi everyone:

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome desktop) and I am trying to watch some
instructional videos but I can't due to I have a message on my screen
that I need to upgrade to flash player 8. I have downloaded flash player
for the .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ and installed it but I still can't get the
videos to work. I am still being told to upgrade to flash player 8. Is
there any way around this? Thanks.

Mark

Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 AM
steve

Mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome desktop) and I am trying to watch some
> instructional videos but I can't due to I have a message on my screen
> that I need to upgrade to flash player 8. I have downloaded flash player
> for the .deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ and installed it but I still can't get the
> videos to work. I am still being told to upgrade to flash player 8. Is
> there any way around this? Thanks.
>
> Mark

yeah I dont know about 8? thats sounds severely outdated, I have

libflashplayer.so Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

installed from flashplugin-nonfree

what does aboutlugins say in firefox?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 01:51 -0500, Mark Pyles wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome desktop) and I am trying to watch some
> instructional videos but I can't due to I have a message on my screen
> that I need to upgrade to flash player 8.

The problem here is not you nor Firefox/flash, but moronic web
programmers who test whether you have exactly version 8, and if not they
show you a hardcoded "upgrade!" message. These idiots forgot to take
into account that you might have 9 or higher. Probably they coded the
page a few years ago and never got around to updating their braindead
version test. I have come across such sites several times.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Mark Pyles

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the info. Where can I get

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124 and libflashplayer.so? Are they for Ubuntu? Thanks.

Mark

Old 02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
steve

Mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi Steve:
>
> Thanks for the info. Where can I get
>
> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124 and libflashplayer.so? Are they for Ubuntu? Thanks.

hi, if you dont already have it, which I suspect is the case

sudo apt-get install flashplayer-nonfree

make sure you have all repositories enabled in synaptic before you do
this.

and a friendly reminder, list general consensus is to bottom post replies.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Mark Pyles

steve wrote:

Mark Pyles wrote:

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the info. Where can I get

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124 and libflashplayer.so? Are they for Ubuntu? Thanks.

hi, if you dont already have it, which I suspect is the case

sudo apt-get install flashplayer-nonfree

make sure you have all repositories enabled in synaptic before you do
this.

and a friendly reminder, list general consensus is to bottom post replies.

Hi Steve:

Thank you very much!

Mark