Old 02-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Mark Pyles

Default What do I need to make Lightning work with thunderbird

Hi everyone:

I have been having the absolute worst time with trying to get lightning
0.9 to work with thunderbird 2.0.0.19. I am using Ubuntu 8.04(gnome
desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 and don't know what I need to use
lightning. Does it require access to some outside calendar? If so, which
one? It does not work as a stand alone. I cannot use the calendar and
none of the buttons on the toolbar such as Day, Week, MultiWeek, Month,
etc work or do anything at all when I click on them. Am I missing
something? Is there something else that I need to make lightning work
the way it is supposed to? Thank you.

Mark

Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have been having the absolute worst time with trying to get lightning
> 0.9 to work with thunderbird 2.0.0.19. I am using Ubuntu 8.04(gnome
> desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 and don't know what I need to use
> lightning. Does it require access to some outside calendar? If so, which
> one? It does not work as a stand alone. I cannot use the calendar and
> none of the buttons on the toolbar such as Day, Week, MultiWeek, Month,
> etc work or do anything at all when I click on them. Am I missing
> something? Is there something else that I need to make lightning work
> the way it is supposed to? Thank you.
>

> Mark

Mark,

Lightning works exceptionally well as a standalone application. Normally
you open thunderbird and then you swith between mail (thunderbird),
calendar and tasks (lightning).

In calendar, your screen should change according whether you click on
day/week/month.

In order to make an appointment, simply click on the day and time you
wish to have it, either by left-doubleclick or by right-click/choose option.

I am unclear what of this does NOT work on your desktop?

Furthermore, are you using the thunderbird package from the ubuntu repos
or the one directly downloaded from mozilla.org?

Actually both of them do work in combination with lightning, but there
possibly could be differences in how to install the lightning addon.

I am using Intrepid 32bit with Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 from the ubuntu
repositories and lightning 0.9, installed as an addon from mozilla.org

Eberhard

Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Mark Pyles

Eberhard Roloff wrote:

Mark Pyles wrote:

[...]

Hi Eberhard:

Thanks for the information. I did download it from mozilla.org but for
some reason, mine doesn't work with Hardy. Thanks.

Mark

Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 AM
NoOp

On 02/15/2009 10:12 AM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Mark Pyles wrote:
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> I have been having the absolute worst time with trying to get lightning
>> 0.9 to work with thunderbird 2.0.0.19. I am using Ubuntu 8.04(gnome
>> desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 and don't know what I need to use
>> lightning. Does it require access to some outside calendar? If so, which
>> one? It does not work as a stand alone. I cannot use the calendar and
>> none of the buttons on the toolbar such as Day, Week, MultiWeek, Month,
>> etc work or do anything at all when I click on them. Am I missing
>> something? Is there something else that I need to make lightning work
>> the way it is supposed to? Thank you.
>>

>> Mark
>>
> Mark,
>
> Lightning works exceptionally well as a standalone application. Normally
> you open thunderbird and then you swith between mail (thunderbird),
> calendar and tasks (lightning).
>
> In calendar, your screen should change according whether you click on
> day/week/month.
>
> In order to make an appointment, simply click on the day and time you
> wish to have it, either by left-doubleclick or by right-click/choose option.
>
> I am unclear what of this does NOT work on your desktop?
>
> Furthermore, are you using the thunderbird package from the ubuntu repos
> or the one directly downloaded from mozilla.org?
>
> Actually both of them do work in combination with lightning, but there
> possibly could be differences in how to install the lightning addon.
>
> I am using Intrepid 32bit with Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 from the ubuntu
> repositories and lightning 0.9, installed as an addon from mozilla.org
>
> Eberhard

Sunbird is the standalone app, lightning is the extention to Thunderbird:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html#difference

@Mark: I notice your comment on
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313>

However, Thunderbird & Lightning (both installed directly from
mozilla.org work) without any issue on my 8.04 systems. I've another
system that has a "Ubuntu" Thunderbird on it, so I tried installing the
Ubuntu repo 'lightning-extension' - the result is that it seems to work
fine there as well.

Perhaps you have basic issues with your Thunderbird install?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Mark Pyles wrote:

> Hi Eberhard:
>
> Thanks for the information. I did download it from mozilla.org but for
> some reason, mine doesn't work with Hardy. Thanks.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark, what did you download form mozilla?
lightning?
thunderbird ?

If I were you, I would restart from scratch:
1. Uninstall Ubuntu Thunderbird and Ubuntu Lightning (ex. via synaptic)
Delete any thunderbird installs that you might have done from mozilla.org
copy your thunderbird configuration and mail directory to a safe place,
just in case.

2. Install mozilla thunderbird from mozilla.org. It is simply simply
expanding the .tar.gz directory and moving this to /opt/thunderbird.

Note: This is MY way of doing things. The location, where you will store
your thunderbird directory is more or less up to you!

3. Make your thunderbird work for your user. Ex. create a Launcher that
starts /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird (or similar)

4. Download lightning from mozilla.org and as a user, install the
lightning addon into your thunderbird.

5. enjoy

Eberhard

Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Fabian Rodriguez

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Mark Pyles wrote:
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> I have been having the absolute worst time with trying to get lightning
>> 0.9 to work with thunderbird 2.0.0.19.

Here's my notes about sync'ing TB and Gcalendar. It works very nicely in
8.04 and 8.10. In Jaunty many steps I present here should not be
necessary as it ships with Lightning 0.9 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.19.

Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) and Intrepid (8.10) both ship with Thunderbird
2.0.0.17 (20080925). Lightning's versions are 0.7 and 0.8 in Hardy and
Intrepid, respectively. Those have several important bugs and
limitations specifically tied to Google Calendar integration and
synchronization. If you wish to use such features, you will need to use
Thunderbird binaries from Mozilla.org, and Lightning 0.9 with Provider
for Gmail [1] calendar directly installed from their respective sites
(NOT from packages).

I personally use this method and it works fine for me, however you will
need to do this again when you change Ubuntu versions. I can personally
recommend this because:

1. I trust Mozilla.org binaries
2. I trust the ubuntuzilla package to do install Mozilla binaries for me
3. Thunderbird has its own mechanism for checking updates for itself
and for extensions, thus providing the functionality Synaptic would
provide if using official packages

This means you won't be using official packages and as such your
installation can't be supported and have automatic updates/upgrades (or
commercially, by Canonical). Please only do this if you are comfortable
with this level of risk.

If you've read through here and want to go ahead, follow these steps:

1. Backup your Mozilla Thhunderbird data. The folder
.mozilla-thunderbird contains all profiles, email and other settings.
2. Remove Thunderbird using Synaptic or sudo apt-get remove
thunderbird - this will keep your profile, email etc. intact
3. Get the ubuntuzilla package, install it, and execute the script to
get the latest Thunderbird version [2]
4. Start Thunderbird. Check that your previous settings and email are
intact.
5. Install Mozilla Lightning[3] and Provider for Gmail calendar[4]
extensions
6. Follow these instructions[5] to enable a calendar. An illustrated
HowTo is also available. [6]

Finally, make sure you review the FAQ for the Provider extension[7], as
it mentions several limitations and know issues, most of which I have
found are easy to work with.

Tasks

When using Thunderbird, Lightning and the Provider for Gmail extension,
you won't be able to create any news tasks if you don't setup a Local
Calendar and choose it first. More information about this:
* Changes in Tasks usage in Lightning 0.8+ [8]

Last but not least, there have been a lot of new developments in Googles
sync strategy and software available. If anyone has a better way of
doing this, I'd be happy to see this guide posted somewhere where it can
be edited by many and updated properly (not in official docs for reasons
stated above).

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4631
[2] http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/#tochome5
[3] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/