Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Extra Desktop folder in /root

Hello,

I think due to my recent fiasco involving my moving folders around when
I shouldn't have, I now have an empty, and, extra Desktop folder located
at /root/Desktop in my file system. It is owned by root, and I would
like to get rid od it.

Can I just fire up my File Browser in root node, and change it's
ownership, then delete it?

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:59 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think due to my recent fiasco involving my moving folders around when
> I shouldn't have, I now have an empty, and, extra Desktop folder located
> at /root/Desktop in my file system. It is owned by root, and I would
> like to get rid od it.
>
> Can I just fire up my File Browser in root node, and change it's
> ownership, then delete it?

Sure, it is harmless to delete that folder. You should just be able to
delete it, if you start up the file browser with root permissions. The
CLI way of doing it is:

sudo rmdir /root/Desktop
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Chris Mohler

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think due to my recent fiasco involving my moving folders around when
> I shouldn't have, I now have an empty, and, extra Desktop folder located
> at /root/Desktop in my file system. It is owned by root, and I would
> like to get rid od it.

If it's really empty:
sudo rmdir /root/Desktop

If not:
sudo ls -a /root/Desktop

And have a look at what's there. If it's OK to delete the contents:
sudo -rm /root/Desktop -fr

Chris