-   -   Pages that work in IE but not Firefox - what's missing? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/245422-pages-work-ie-but-not-firefox-whats-missing.html)

Chris G 02-14-2009 12:14 PM

Pages that work in IE but not Firefox - what's missing?

I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-

http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php

The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.

I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
something else entirely?

Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.

--
Chris Green

Dotan Cohen 02-14-2009 12:30 PM

Pages that work in IE but not Firefox - what's missing?

> I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
>
> http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
>
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
> XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.
>
> I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
> or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
> something else entirely?
>
> Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.

Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5.10), Firefox 3.0.5, Flash 10.

Works for me.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Mario Vukelic 02-14-2009 12:31 PM

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 13:14 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
>
> http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
>
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use!

FWIW it works fine for me, using Firefox 3.06 on the Jaunty alpha.

Does www.flash.com work with video, sound and all?

"Joep L. Blom" 02-14-2009 12:41 PM

Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
>
> http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
>
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
> XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.
>
> I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
> or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
> something else entirely?
>
> Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.

I think you have a problem with flash. I could display the page without
any problem. (0n Hardy 64-bit).
Can you see - and hear - youtube films?
Joep

norman 02-14-2009 12:47 PM

Pages that work in IE but not Firefox - what's missing?

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 13:14 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
>
> http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
>
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
> XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.
>
> I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
> or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
> something else entirely?
>
> Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.

Just tried the URL and it loaded with no problem. I am running Firefox
3.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.10.

Norman

Lucio M Nicolosi 02-14-2009 12:49 PM

Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
>
> http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
>
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
> XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.
>
> I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
> or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
> something else entirely?
>
> Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.

Works perfectly for me, just the same: Ubuntu Intrepid i386 / Firefox
3.06 / Shockwave Flash10.0 r15 - vs - VirtualBox / Win XP / IE8.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
So Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
skype: lmnicolosi1

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

James Takac 02-14-2009 01:04 PM

On Saturday 14 February 2009 23:49:18 Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> > hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
> >
> > http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
> >
> > The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> > not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
> > XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.
> >
> > I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
> > or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
> > something else entirely?
> >
> > Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.
>
> Works perfectly for me, just the same: Ubuntu Intrepid i386 / Firefox
> 3.06 / Shockwave Flash10.0 r15 - vs - VirtualBox / Win XP / IE8.
>

> --
> Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
> So Paulo - Brazil
> Lat.: 2334'4.79"S
> Long.: 4639'59.53"W
>
> email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
> skype: lmnicolosi1
>
> Linux Registered User #481505
> http://counter.li.org/

Hi

I've had problems with the usual flash installations in the past and found the
gnash plugin in synaptic worked fine for more in its stead. Might be worth a
shot if the prob is flash related

James

Nigel Henry 02-14-2009 01:21 PM

On Saturday 14 February 2009 14:14, Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for accomodation and other information in France and keep
> hitting sites which don't work in Fierfox. For example:-
>
> http://www.ville-castres.fr/_tourisme_site//index.php
>
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use! In IE (I run
> XP in VirtualBox) the site appears OK complete with picture and menu.
>
> I have Flash installed in Firefox so is there something else missing
> or is there something wrong with my Flash installation or is it
> something else entirely?
>
> Oh, I'm running Forefox 3.0.6 on xubuntu 8.10.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Hi Chris.

I can't try Firefox on Intrepid at the mo, because I'm downloading an iso on
Archlinux on the same machine, but I've tried the site on my FC2 install that
I'm emailing from, and it appears to work ok.

Firefox 2.0.0.12
Flash 9 (115)
Mplayerplug-in, which may be gecko-mediaplayer, or mozilla-mplayer, depending
on your distro, and allows playing a bunch of stuff.
Sun's JRE.

It may be using flash, but sometimes it's difficult to tell, when you have a
bunch of stuff installed and available.

I see a changing background at the top of the page, a slide show just below
the ACCUEIL, and the menu is there.

I'll have to try Firefox in Intrepid when I next boot it.

I've just looked in Firefox's tools> site info> media, and it confirms that
the menu, moving background, and the slide show, are using swf, and the
stills are jpeg images.

Nigel.

Mario Vukelic 02-14-2009 01:40 PM

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 15:21 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've just looked in Firefox's tools> site info> media

Hey, I've overlooked this all these years. Great little helper, thanks!

Mario Vukelic 02-14-2009 01:41 PM

Pages that work in IE but not Firefox - what's missing?

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 13:14 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> The page comes up but the menu on the left and a picture are blank,
> not having the menu makes it rather difficult to use!

Do you maybe have some security restrictions, like scripts blocked with
the NoScript firefox extension or something?