Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Jimmy Stewpot

Default Linux Device Naming

Hello,

I am currently working on a system where there are loads of fibre
channel devices being attached and disconnected at regular intervals
(test environment). Currently when the system boots and fibre channel
drives are connected it will detect those LUN's first and the on-board
scsi local drives will be detected last. That means that we have things
like / being on /dev/sdg1
Is it possible to have persistent naming so that the system disk is
always /dev/sda ?

Regards,

Jimmy

Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Thilo Six

Jimmy Stewpot wrote the following on 29.12.2007 14:38

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a system where there are loads of fibre
> channel devices being attached and disconnected at regular intervals
> (test environment). Currently when the system boots and fibre channel
> drives are connected it will detect those LUN's first and the on-board
> scsi local drives will be detected last. That means that we have things
> like / being on /dev/sdg1
> Is it possible to have persistent naming so that the system disk is
> always /dev/sda ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jimmy

You can use th UUID of the partition instead of the device name in /etc/fstab
for mounting.
man fstab search for 'UUID'

That way the mounting is persisten even when the device changes.

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Davide Corio

Il giorno sab, 29/12/2007 alle 13.38 +0000, Jimmy Stewpot ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a system where there are loads of fibre
> channel devices being attached and disconnected at regular intervals
> (test environment). Currently when the system boots and fibre channel
> drives are connected it will detect those LUN's first and the on-board
> scsi local drives will be detected last. That means that we have things
> like / being on /dev/sdg1
> Is it possible to have persistent naming so that the system disk is
> always /dev/sda ?

I think you can use UUIDs to statically map your drives into fstab (as
ubuntu regularly does during the installation)

--
Davide Corio
email: davide.corio<at>domsense.com