Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD only does 800x600 video!?

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- On Mon, 2/9/09, Zach Uram <netrek@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I got an Ubuntu 8.10 Live Cd in the mail today so I'm
> > trying it, seems
> > nice but it will only let me do 800x600 video resolution
> > (very
> > annoying!), I looked in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it
> > doesn't even have
> > specific values in there: http://pastebin.com/f3c5ff4f7 How
> > can I get
> > 1024x768 video resolution working? It worked fine in Ubuntu
> > 6.06 Live
> > CD.
>
> Have you tried booting up in recovery mode and running "xfix", let run
> to completion then select continue with normal boot.

AFAIK, there is no recovery mode or xfix option for the LiveCD. But if the
problem is the installed system the xfix option might help. And if the
6.06 CD is still available, the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf from that version
could be used for 8.10 as well.

Nils

Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM
David Curtis

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:57:30 +0100
Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 2/9/09, Zach Uram <netrek@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I got an Ubuntu 8.10 Live Cd in the mail today so I'm
> > > trying it, seems
> > > nice but it will only let me do 800x600 video resolution
> > > (very
> > > annoying!), I looked in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it
> > > doesn't even have
> > > specific values in there: http://pastebin.com/f3c5ff4f7 How
> > > can I get
> > > 1024x768 video resolution working? It worked fine in Ubuntu
> > > 6.06 Live
> > > CD.
> >
> > Have you tried booting up in recovery mode and running "xfix", let run
> > to completion then select continue with normal boot.
>
> AFAIK, there is no recovery mode or xfix option for the LiveCD. But if the
> problem is the installed system the xfix option might help. And if the
> 6.06 CD is still available, the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf from that version
> could be used for 8.10 as well.

I've never tried it, but it might be possible to change to a terminal, stop GDM, run xrandr
and then restart GDM. Anyone know if that's doable on the live CD?

You also might want to read: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

A google for xorg.conf and your specific card, or your laptops product code might find you a working xorg.conf.
--
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>