Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Sudha Krishna

Default iso image size version 8.10

Hi,
I downloaded ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso image and tried to burn it
to a CD, but the size of the download is 715,592 KB, which is more
than the capacity of a single CD. So I am unable to burn it to the CD.
However, the ubuntu web page states that all we need is a single 700
MB CD. I downloaded the image from mirrors.kernel.org. Could you
please let me know how I can create a CD for installation?

thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I downloaded ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso image and tried
> to burn it
> to a CD, but the size of the download is 715,592 KB, which
> is more
> than the capacity of a single CD. So I am unable to burn it
> to the CD.
> However, the ubuntu web page states that all we need is a
> single 700
> MB CD. I downloaded the image from mirrors.kernel.org.
> Could you
> please let me know how I can create a CD for installation?
>
> thanks

Well,you could get the iso CD from the official Ubuntu CD download site.
All CD iso images will fit on a standard CD-R, CD-RW if you burn
the disk as an iso image using something like K3B; there are others but I have mind blank at the moment. You can also do it using nautilus
by right clicking the iso file, I think or from the menu. The key is to burn the CD as an image, not just copy.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Nils Kassube

Sudha Krishna wrote:
> I downloaded ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso image and tried to burn it
> to a CD, but the size of the download is 715,592 KB, which is more
> than the capacity of a single CD.

Well, 715592 kiB would be 698.8 MiB so it should fit on a CD. Did you try
to burn it as ISO file?
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto>

Nils

Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Derek Broughton

Sudha Krishna wrote:

> Hi,
> I downloaded ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso image and tried to burn it
> to a CD, but the size of the download is 715,592 KB, which is more
> than the capacity of a single CD. So I am unable to burn it to the CD.
> However, the ubuntu web page states that all we need is a single 700
> MB CD. I downloaded the image from mirrors.kernel.org. Could you
> please let me know how I can create a CD for installation?

I always burn them to DVDs these days.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Ray Parrish

Hello,

715,592 / 1024 = 698.8203125 MBs which is just under the 700 MB limit of
most CDs. I just downloaded the Ubuntu 8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso and it is
only 679 MBs. However when I burn it with wodim from the command line,
wodim claims it is burning a total of 834 MBs to the disc, and after
ending up with a total of 8 worthless coasters, instead of getting any
good CDs, I have given up on making a new Ubuntu Live CD.

I read man wodim very carefully, and did the burn on the slowest speed
available on my burner, with all of the correct options enabled, but
none of the attempts I've made will boot, they always fail part way
through loading the kernel after the initial menu shows, no matter which
option I select. Here's the actual command line I used for the last
burn, after carefully testing it withe -dummy option and getting no errors.

ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo wodim -v -raw96r -speed=0 dev=/dev/scd0
gracetime=20 driveropts=noburnfree -data tsize=731869184
"/home/ray/Downloads/ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso"

I did also do a check on the MD5sum for the image file before burning as
well. One thing that I did think was odd, was that wodim insisted on
burning a 150 byte lead in at the start of the track before starting on
the actual data.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Tommy Trussell

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 715,592 / 1024 = 698.8203125 MBs which is just under the 700 MB limit of
> most CDs. I just downloaded the Ubuntu 8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso and it is
> only 679 MBs. However when I burn it with wodim from the command line,
> wodim claims it is burning a total of 834 MBs to the disc, and after
> ending up with a total of 8 worthless coasters, instead of getting any
> good CDs, I have given up on making a new Ubuntu Live CD.
>
> I read man wodim very carefully, and did the burn on the slowest speed
> available on my burner, with all of the correct options enabled, but
> none of the attempts I've made will boot, they always fail part way
> through loading the kernel after the initial menu shows, no matter which
> option I select. Here's the actual command line I used for the last
> burn, after carefully testing it withe -dummy option and getting no errors.
>
> ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo wodim -v -raw96r -speed=0 dev=/dev/scd0
> gracetime=20 driveropts=noburnfree -data tsize=731869184
> "/home/ray/Downloads/ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso"
>
> I did also do a check on the MD5sum for the image file before burning as
> well. One thing that I did think was odd, was that wodim insisted on
> burning a 150 byte lead in at the start of the track before starting on
> the actual data.

I don't know wodim, but "lead in" makes me think maybe it could be
burning it as an audio CD?

I haven't had any trouble burning .iso files using the right-click
"burn to disk" feature in nautilus, even on slower systems where you
might expect speed to be a problem ...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Ray Parrish

Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> 715,592 / 1024 = 698.8203125 MBs which is just under the 700 MB limit of
>> most CDs. I just downloaded the Ubuntu 8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso and it is
>> only 679 MBs. However when I burn it with wodim from the command line,
>> wodim claims it is burning a total of 834 MBs to the disc, and after
>> ending up with a total of 8 worthless coasters, instead of getting any
>> good CDs, I have given up on making a new Ubuntu Live CD.
>>
>> I read man wodim very carefully, and did the burn on the slowest speed
>> available on my burner, with all of the correct options enabled, but
>> none of the attempts I've made will boot, they always fail part way
>> through loading the kernel after the initial menu shows, no matter which
>> option I select. Here's the actual command line I used for the last
>> burn, after carefully testing it withe -dummy option and getting no errors.
>>
>> ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo wodim -v -raw96r -speed=0 dev=/dev/scd0
>> gracetime=20 driveropts=noburnfree -data tsize=731869184
>> "/home/ray/Downloads/ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso"
>>
>> I did also do a check on the MD5sum for the image file before burning as
>> well. One thing that I did think was odd, was that wodim insisted on
>> burning a 150 byte lead in at the start of the track before starting on
>> the actual data.
>>

> I don't know wodim, but "lead in" makes me think maybe it could be
> burning it as an audio CD?
>
> I haven't had any trouble burning .iso files using the right-click
> "burn to disk" feature in nautilus, even on slower systems where you
> might expect speed to be a problem ...

Well, the purpose of the -data option in the command line is to burn it
as a data CD, instead of Audio, but until I do some more research I'm
not going to discount the possibility that it is ignoring the switch,
and burning in Audio mode, as that is it's default mode according to the
man page.

The first disc I tried to burn, I created with a right click from
Nautilus per the instructions on the Ubuntu How To page or burning
.iso's. When that didn't work, I rebooted to Windows, and downloaded and
installed the recommended InfraRecorder, and followed the instructions
for it's use to make the next one. It didn't work either.

I also wasn't able to understand how wodim came up with the figure of
834 MBs written to disc, when the discs are only 700 MB in capacity. The
tsize=731869184 parameter is supposed to tell wodim the size of the data
track to burn to disc, and is the exact size of the .iso file in bytes.

I even tried one burn with Brasero from within Ubuntu, as it has options
for burning iso's as well. So far I haven't managed to make a CD that
will get all the way through loading the kernel without an i/o error,
and the error message that it must reboot.

The command for using wodim to burn a data CD from an .iso on the
Ubuntu Community CD/DVD command line burning page was given as follows,
which I tried for the third disc I wrote. Note that it doesn't specify
nearly as many parameters and options as the command I later formulated
by reading the man page. It of course also failed to make a good CD.

wodim dev=/dev/scd0 driveropts=burnfree -v -data cd_image.iso

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> 715,592 / 1024 = 698.8203125 MBs which is just under the
> 700 MB limit of
> most CDs. I just downloaded the Ubuntu
> 8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso and it is
> only 679 MBs. However when I burn it with wodim from the
> command line,
> wodim claims it is burning a total of 834 MBs to the disc,
> and after
> ending up with a total of 8 worthless coasters, instead of
> getting any
> good CDs, I have given up on making a new Ubuntu Live CD.
>
> I read man wodim very carefully, and did the burn on the
> slowest speed
> available on my burner, with all of the correct options
> enabled, but
> none of the attempts I've made will boot, they always
> fail part way
> through loading the kernel after the initial menu shows, no
> matter which
> option I select. Here's the actual command line I used
> for the last
> burn, after carefully testing it withe -dummy option and
> getting no errors.
>
> ray@ray-desktop:~$ sudo wodim -v -raw96r -speed=0
> dev=/dev/scd0
> gracetime=20 driveropts=noburnfree -data tsize=731869184
> "/home/ray/Downloads/ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso"
>
> I did also do a check on the MD5sum for the image file
> before burning as
> well. One thing that I did think was odd, was that wodim
> insisted on
> burning a 150 byte lead in at the start of the track before
> starting on
> the actual data.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Boy, you sure pick the most difficult burning program to use. Just
read the wodam man and haven't a clue how to burn an iso image.
As another person has said, the nautilus right click option has worked
for me and others without fail. K3b is also good and easy to use and
that's what I would recommend. If you can't burn a good iso image using
nautilus or k3b then maybe something is broken on your cd/dvd writer.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net