Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Preserving /Home Partition

I just finished reinstalling Hardy, up to date, on an IBM 13 G
drive that had the / Partition corrupted by fsck. Went to some
length to prove the drive was not faulty and the drive has worked
for several days since the reinstall. In doing so, I used the Alt.
CD, reformatting the / part and preserving the /Home partition and
also reformatting swap. Have done this on this same machine on a replacement HDD successfully but this time I find /home in my /
part on the IBM drive. Is there a way to change things so that the
original preserved /home partition on the IBM HDD will be used instead
of the one in / part? Welcome if anyone knows how this may have happened
so I can not let it happen again.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Nils Kassube

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> I just finished reinstalling Hardy, up to date, on an IBM 13 G
> drive that had the / Partition corrupted by fsck. Went to some
> length to prove the drive was not faulty and the drive has worked
> for several days since the reinstall. In doing so, I used the Alt.
> CD, reformatting the / part and preserving the /Home partition and
> also reformatting swap. Have done this on this same machine on a
> replacement HDD successfully but this time I find /home in my / part on
> the IBM drive. Is there a way to change things so that the original
> preserved /home partition on the IBM HDD will be used instead of the
> one in / part?

You can mount the preserved /home partition at /home of the new HD. Then
you can't access the files in the new /home any longer but I suppose that
is no real problem.

Nils

Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

-- On Sat, 2/14/09, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: Preserving /Home Partition
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Saturday, February 14, 2009, 2:16 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > I just finished reinstalling Hardy, up to date, on an
> IBM 13 G
> > drive that had the / Partition corrupted by fsck. Went
> to some
> > length to prove the drive was not faulty and the drive
> has worked
> > for several days since the reinstall. In doing so, I
> used the Alt.
> > CD, reformatting the / part and preserving the /Home
> partition and
> > also reformatting swap. Have done this on this same
> machine on a
> > replacement HDD successfully but this time I find
> /home in my / part on
> > the IBM drive. Is there a way to change things so that
> the original
> > preserved /home partition on the IBM HDD will be used
> instead of the
> > one in / part?
>
> You can mount the preserved /home partition at /home of the
> new HD. Then
> you can't access the files in the new /home any longer
> but I suppose that
> is no real problem.

Thanks Nils. That sounds simple enough that I probably should
have thought of it myself but didn't. Just to be sure I do
understand let me recap:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb3 /home

where ext3 is the formatted fs and /dev/sdb3 is the /home partition.

I understand that once I do this, I wont be able to use the /home
dir in my / partition on /dev/sdb1(swap is /dev/sdb2). If the above
is true, I have only one question:
If for some reason the /home partition, /dev/sdb3, is corrupted all I have to do is to unmount /dev/sdb3 and upon rebooting I'll be using the /home dir in /dev/sdb1??? Does anything have to be put in fstab
or is that done automagically with the mount command? Well, that's 2
questions actually-) Thanks for a reply. BTW, I've mounted /dev/sdb3 on /mnt and can read it well enough so it does appear to be
in good shape.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> -- On Sat, 2/14/09, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > > I just finished reinstalling Hardy, up to date, on an
> > IBM 13 G
> > > drive that had the / Partition corrupted by fsck. Went
> > to some
> > > length to prove the drive was not faulty and the drive
> > has worked
> > > for several days since the reinstall. In doing so, I
> > used the Alt.
> > > CD, reformatting the / part and preserving the /Home
> > partition and
> > > also reformatting swap. Have done this on this same
> > machine on a
> > > replacement HDD successfully but this time I find
> > /home in my / part on
> > > the IBM drive. Is there a way to change things so that
> > the original
> > > preserved /home partition on the IBM HDD will be used
> > instead of the
> > > one in / part?
> >
> > You can mount the preserved /home partition at /home of the
> > new HD. Then
> > you can't access the files in the new /home any longer
> > but I suppose that
> > is no real problem.
>
> Thanks Nils. That sounds simple enough that I probably should
> have thought of it myself but didn't. Just to be sure I do
> understand let me recap:
>
> sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb3 /home
>
> where ext3 is the formatted fs and /dev/sdb3 is the /home partition.

Yes, that's it - you could even leave away the "-t ext3" because mount is
intelligent enough to determine that on its own.

> I understand that once I do this, I wont be able to use the /home
> dir in my / partition on /dev/sdb1(swap is /dev/sdb2). If the above
> is true, I have only one question:
> If for some reason the /home partition, /dev/sdb3, is corrupted all I
> have to do is to unmount /dev/sdb3 and upon rebooting I'll be using the
> /home dir in /dev/sdb1??? Does anything have to be put in fstab or is
> that done automagically with the mount command?

It will only be automatic if you have an entry in your fstab - something
like this:

UUID=c1aa6372-bf97-4269-b6ae-0f2de85b0a52 /home ext3 defaults 0 2

And don't forget to replace the UUID with the one from your partition - I
won't give you my disk from which I stole the fstab entry.

> Well, that's 2
> questions actually-)

I think you mean 4 - there are 3 '?' after the /dev/sdb1 )

Nils

Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> date, on an
> > > IBM 13 G
> fsck. Went
> > > to some
> the drive
> > > has worked
> doing so, I
> > > used the Alt.
> the /Home
> > > partition and
> this same
> > > machine on a
> find
> > > /home in my / part on
> things so that
> > > the original
> will be used
> > > instead of the
> > >
> > > You can mount the preserved /home partition at
> /home of the
> > > new HD. Then
> > > you can't access the files in the new /home
> any longer
> > > but I suppose that
> > > is no real problem.
> >
> > Thanks Nils. That sounds simple enough that I probably
> should
> > have thought of it myself but didn't. Just to be
> sure I do
> > understand let me recap:
> >
> > sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb3 /home
> >
> > where ext3 is the formatted fs and /dev/sdb3 is the
> /home partition.
>
> Yes, that's it - you could even leave away the "-t
> ext3" because mount is
> intelligent enough to determine that on its own.

Thanks, so much. The only trouble I had was to determine
what the uuid is for /dev/sdb3. But, a little googling on uuid
turned up blkid which I had forgotten about. Google is your
friend-)

> > I understand that once I do this, I wont be able to
> use the /home
> > dir in my / partition on /dev/sdb1(swap is /dev/sdb2).
> If the above
> > is true, I have only one question:
> > If for some reason the /home partition, /dev/sdb3, is
> corrupted all I
> > have to do is to unmount /dev/sdb3 and upon rebooting
> I'll be using the
> > /home dir in /dev/sdb1??? Does anything have to be
> put in fstab or is
> > that done automagically with the mount command?
>
> It will only be automatic if you have an entry in your
> fstab - something
> like this:
>
> UUID=c1aa6372-bf97-4269-b6ae-0f2de85b0a52 /home ext3
> defaults 0 2

I thought so. Thanks for confirming.

> And don't forget to replace the UUID with the one from
> your partition - I
> won't give you my disk from which I stole the fstab
> entry.

Arrh, then I would have 3 HDD in this old Dell PIII Dimensions XPS t-450.
One can always use another hard drive especially in an old machine-:0))

> > Well, that's 2
> > questions actually-)
>
> I think you mean 4 - there are 3 '?' after the
> /dev/sdb1 )

I just count the questions(sometimes wrongly) not the marks- Thanks, so
much Nils, for the appreciated help. You did neglect to answer one or the 2
or 4 questions though-. Can I recover the /home dir in the / partition if I now
unmount the /dev/sdb3 /home partition? Only one q-mark- Just curious as
the /home partition is working ok but wonder if one in / is gone forever.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Nils Kassube

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Can I recover the /home dir in the
> / partition if I now unmount the /dev/sdb3 /home partition? Only one
> q-mark- Just curious as the /home partition is working ok but wonder
> if one in / is gone forever.

Yes, if you unmount the /home partition you can access the /home directory
of the original installation. Mounting some partition to a mount point
just hides everything which was previously available at that mount point
and only for the time it is mounted there. It doesn't delete anything.

Nils

Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > / partition if I now unmount the /dev/sdb3 /home
> partition? Only one
> > q-mark- Just curious as the /home partition is
> working ok but wonder
> > if one in / is gone forever.
>
> Yes, if you unmount the /home partition you can access the
> /home directory
> of the original installation. Mounting some partition to a
> mount point
> just hides everything which was previously available at
> that mount point
> and only for the time it is mounted there. It doesn't
> delete anything.

Thanks for the clarification. You were
really a great help to me in clearing up
my situation. I may even have learned
something new.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net