Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Peter Garrett

Default INX Is Not X - Apps (was Life on the Command Line)

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:07:28 +0000
Rolando Pereira <finalyugi@sapo.pt> wrote:

> Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:35:53 +0000
> > Rosalind Mitchell <rcm@swimbarrow.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> How far do others manage to get using text-based applications only? Any
> >> real hidden gems I should be aware of?
> >
> > At the risk of being accused of self-promotion... Have a look at the INX
> > live CD linked in my .sig Start with watching the slideshow at:
> >
> > http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html
> >
> > Others have mentioned quite a few apps...
> >

> Nice job, from the screenshots there appears to use some programs that I
> don't know.
>
> Is there a list with the programs that the Live CD brings? (My
> connection is slow, so I can't just download it and see)

Ah, that has been suggested before I really should add such a list!
Off the top of my head ( probably leaving things out - I am relying on
memory here for the moment):

Browsers:
links2
elinks-lite

fbi, fbgs ( viewers for pictures and pdf)

File Managers:
mc ( midnight commander)
linm
vifm

mplayer ( used for music and framebuffer video playing)
moc ( music player - very nice )
cplay ( another music player, tiny and also nice, but less powerful than
moc)

plait - a script by Stephen Jungels that does a lot of cool stuff, but I
use it as a back-end for Shoutcast music searches ( configured to use
mplayer to play the streams)

codecs handled by ffmpeg ( mplayer can play real media, windows media etc.
as well as mp3 and of course ogg )

ogg123 , mpg321

"file sharing" using sshfs ( "Secure Access" menu)
With this you can "mount" file systems from any ssh server.

A couple of little games ( robotfindskitten, greed)
cmatrix, inevitably

Fun intro... with some surprises for those who don't know...

calcurse appointments/to-do calendar
wcalc calculator
sc spreadsheet

Editors:
vim , including runtime
mcedit
nano

*cough* ed ;-)

(I will probably add the "zile" mini-emacs soon)

GNU screen, of course - with some configuration tweaks ( date, visible
numbers etc.)
There are some pre-configured screen sessions - for example you can type
"monitor" or "music" or "mailscreen"... Also an easy access menu for
these.

mutt mail , with an IMAPS configuration menu ( uses msmtp to relay sent
mail through ISPs smtp server)

little wrapper commands for convenience:
google <keywords>
wiki, wikig <keywords> ( wikipedia in elinks or links2 -g)
dict <keyword> ( dictionary)

tutorials for CLI phobic people INX was originally intended as a CLI
intro.

IRC = irssi
pppconfig ( dialup config)
pppoeconf ( DSL config if needed - dhcp routers should automatically be on
line)

htop
iftop
iptraf

"usbmount" for mounting usb pendrives etc. , with a menu and access
options.

You can adjust time , and toggle a clock on and off (vcstime) The current
tty is also indicated (tty1-6)

Eight colour schemes, just hit "f" to cycle through them

Probably left out something important

To anyone who reads this and is interested: please test! Currently Beta...

Kind of on-topic, since it is really Ubuntu 7.04 (minimal) underneath...

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Rolando Pereira

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:07:28 +0000
> Rolando Pereira <finalyugi@sapo.pt> wrote:
>
>> Peter Garrett wrote:

>>> At the risk of being accused of self-promotion... Have a look at the INX
>>> live CD linked in my .sig Start with watching the slideshow at:
>>>
>>> http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html
>>>
>>> Others have mentioned quite a few apps...
>>>
>> Nice job, from the screenshots there appears to use some programs that I
>> don't know.
>>
>> Is there a list with the programs that the Live CD brings? (My
>> connection is slow, so I can't just download it and see)
>
> Ah, that has been suggested before I really should add such a list!
> Off the top of my head ( probably leaving things out - I am relying on
> memory here for the moment):

[snip]

> A couple of little games ( robotfindskitten, greed)
> cmatrix, inevitably

I hope you got Nethack there. You can't make a distro without it (Or
maybe Crawl, since it got color and more stuff)

[snip]

> sc spreadsheet
>
> Editors:
> vim , including runtime

You can add ttp ( http://www.ngolde.de/tpp.html ) and you got yourself a
office suit in the command line (hum... except perhaps a Acess-like
program...)

> GNU screen, of course - with some configuration tweaks ( date, visible
> numbers etc.)
> There are some pre-configured screen sessions - for example you can type
> "monitor" or "music" or "mailscreen"... Also an easy access menu for
> these.

Are you using a custom ~/.screenrc file?

> little wrapper commands for convenience:
> google <keywords>
> wiki, wikig <keywords> ( wikipedia in elinks or links2 -g)
> dict <keyword> ( dictionary)

I feel forced to suggest you install the Surfraw package.

It allows more search engines and you can open them with either elinks
or links2.

> IRC = irssi

Perhaps you could add a msn client too.

CenterIM, allows you too connect to multiple protocols (including IRC,
but that I'll leave to irssi

Do you have space limit besides the size of a cd?

--
_
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

Old 12-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:05:13AM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:

> calcurse appointments/to-do calendar

For just quick date checking there is also the 'cal' program:

$ cal -3

November 2007 December 2007 January 2008
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3 1 1 2 3 4 5
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 20 21 22 23 24 25 26x
25 26 27 28 29 30 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 27 28 29 30 31
30 31

(Shows the current date in inverse video, not surviving the insert).

> dict <keyword> ( dictionary)

Excellent program! There is also aspell, spell checker that does a lot
of neat stuff with "text" files like spell check html, xml, and
comments inside various program files. And the 'spell' script wrapper,
that checks individual words.

--
Hal

Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 14:27:21 +0000
Rolando Pereira <finalyugi@sapo.pt> wrote:

[snip]
> I hope you got Nethack there. You can't make a distro without it (Or
> maybe Crawl, since it got color and more stuff)

I may have to include nethack, by popular demand Perhaps in the next
version... (beta-2 ?)

> [snip]
>
> > sc spreadsheet
> >
> > Editors:
> > vim , including runtime
>
> You can add ttp ( http://www.ngolde.de/tpp.html ) and you got yourself a
> office suit in the command line (hum... except perhaps a Acess-like
> program...)

Interesting... On the other hand, I can't stand presentation programs A
CLI Powerpoint presentation ? Aaargh!

> > GNU screen, of course - with some configuration tweaks ( date, visible
> > numbers etc.)
> > There are some pre-configured screen sessions - for example you can type
> > "monitor" or "music" or "mailscreen"... Also an easy access menu for
> > these.
> >

> Are you using a custom ~/.screenrc file?

I use a ~/.screenrc-name file for each pre-configured session, For example,
~/.screenrc-music :

hardstatus on
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string "%w%=%Y/%m/%d %c"

# Set up some windows
screen -t Commandsbash) 0
screen -t "Mixer" 1 alsamixer
screen -t "Shoutcast/Magnatunes" 2 elinks http://magnatune.com http://shoutcast.com
screen -t "INX Radio": 3 stream
screen -t "MOC:" 4 mocp

startup_message off

Apologies if the above wraps - I turned off wrap but it depends on your mail client too.
When you type "music" , or select it from the menu,
you get "screen -S music -c $HOME/.screenrc-music"

If you just type "screen" you get a blank screen, but with time and date etc.
I just leave out the "screen -t" lines for that.

> > little wrapper commands for convenience:
> > google <keywords>
> > wiki, wikig <keywords> ( wikipedia in elinks or links2 -g)
> > dict <keyword> ( dictionary)
> >

> I feel forced to suggest you install the Surfraw package.

Yes, I know about surfraw I might add it...

> It allows more search engines and you can open them with either elinks
> or links2.
>

> > IRC = irssi
>
> Perhaps you could add a msn client too.

I have looked at several - on a live CD though, pre-configuring them is not really an option.
You could carry your personal config on a USB, I suppose. "centericq" looked like a possibility.
Of course, you could use bitlbee with irssi, but that's expecting a lot from the target audience

> CenterIM, allows you too connect to multiple protocols (including IRC,
> but that I'll leave to irssi
>
> Do you have space limit besides the size of a cd?

It's currently about 184 MB, which I think will fit on an 8cm CD. I try to keep it fairly small.
Part of the reason for the large size ( for a CLI disc) is that it has all those Ubuntu kernel
modules firmware etc. ! Vim and man pages take up quite a bit of space too...

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:29:32 -0500
Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:05:13AM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> >
> > calcurse appointments/to-do calendar
>
> For just quick date checking there is also the 'cal' program:
>
> $ cal -3
>
> November 2007 December 2007 January 2008
> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
> 1 2 3 1 1 2 3 4 5
> 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
> 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
> 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 20 21 22 23 24 25 26x
> 25 26 27 28 29 30 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 27 28 29 30 31
> 30 31
>

> (Shows the current date in inverse video, not surviving the insert).

"cal" makes an early appearance in INX, in the intro - in colour

> > dict <keyword> ( dictionary)
>
> Excellent program! There is also aspell, spell checker that does a lot
> of neat stuff with "text" files like spell check html, xml, and
> comments inside various program files. And the 'spell' script wrapper,
> that checks individual words.

How much space would that take? The advantage of "dict" is that it is tiny
and relies on dict.org , so no lists and dictionaries are needed on the
disc.

At the moment I'm trying to make the disc small enough to fit on an 8cm
CD...

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 11:40:13AM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:

> > Excellent program! There is also aspell, spell checker that does a
> > lot of neat stuff with "text" files like spell check html, xml,
> > and comments inside various program files. And the 'spell' script
> > wrapper, that checks individual words.
>
> How much space would that take? The advantage of "dict" is that it
> is tiny and relies on dict.org , so no lists and dictionaries are
> needed on the disc.

For what you are doing, it probably would get messy, with the support
for various languages, etc. I would guess a full blown aspell package
with all the dictionaries could be hefty indeed.

I mention it mostly for those delving into a text world and may not
know about some cool purely text based applications.

Also, on the calendar/appointment/reminder front, there is the command
line tool 'remind' that does really neat things with scheduling and
reminders. It can run as command line tool (eg via cron), or in daemon
mode, and uses text config files for input and plain text for output.

--
Hal

Old 12-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Kent Paul Dolan

Continuing this text tools for the command line
topic, subtopic "stuff for INX", is there a version
of text tool agrep (approximate grep) available for
Ubuntu?

It can be a lifesaver when looking for a word you
don't quite know how to spell in a large text
corpus, or when looking for a word you do know how
to spell, in search of it and all its close
misspellings, so you don't miss comments on a topic
just because the writer misspells a word you're
targeting, or when looking for a word deliberately
misspelled, like "Vlagra" when looking for spam
emails to eliminate.

xanthian.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:31:02PM -0800, Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
> Continuing this text tools for the command line
> topic, subtopic "stuff for INX", is there a version
> of text tool agrep (approximate grep) available for
> Ubuntu?

Yes, I have it installed ...

$ dpkg -l |grep agrep
ii agrep 4.17-5
text search tool with support for approximat

--
Hal