Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM
"H.S."

Default help browser consistently crashing in Hardy

Hello,

In fully updated Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04), help browser keeps crashing.

I have noticed that the first time it is opened by a user, it goes well.
But when it is opened by that user a second or subsequent times in the
same Gnome session, it crashes when the user clicks on any of the
hyperlinks in the browser.

Obviously this has caused tremendous embarrassment to me since I have
been touting Ubuntu Hardy as a robust and reliable operating system. The
system is being used by new users and clearly it doesn't help that the
help browser itself is crashing

Anybody else having this problem? This is on an AMD 64 system.

Thanks.

ever having been read.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
NoOp

On 02/13/2009 11:54 AM, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In fully updated Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04), help browser keeps crashing.
>
> I have noticed that the first time it is opened by a user, it goes well.
> But when it is opened by that user a second or subsequent times in the
> same Gnome session, it crashes when the user clicks on any of the
> hyperlinks in the browser.
>
> Obviously this has caused tremendous embarrassment to me since I have
> been touting Ubuntu Hardy as a robust and reliable operating system. The
> system is being used by new users and clearly it doesn't help that the
> help browser itself is crashing
>
> Anybody else having this problem? This is on an AMD 64 system.
>
> Thanks.

Same problem here on 32bit 8.04.2. Unfortunately:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp
will result in responses to bugs like this from 223918:

"Thanks for the bug report. This particular bug has already been
reported, but feel free to report any other bugs you find."

Note that in About Help it shows a nonexistent package name:
Help 2.22.1
It's actually Yelp 2.22.1
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=yelp
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-updates/yelp

Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM
"H.S."

NoOp wrote:

> Same problem here on 32bit 8.04.2. Unfortunately:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp
> will result in responses to bugs like this from 223918:
>
> "Thanks for the bug report. This particular bug has already been
> reported, but feel free to report any other bugs you find."

Isn't it ironical that the help browser of an OS touted as being user
friendly itself is worthless in this way!! :O

Any way, thanks for the confirming the bug. Proves it is not just this
machine here.

> Note that in About Help it shows a nonexistent package name:
> Help 2.22.1
> It's actually Yelp 2.22.1
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=yelp
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-updates/yelp

Who knows, perhaps yelp is not such a high priority package in Hardy.
But I was expecting better standards in LTS releases though.

Warm regards.

ever having been read.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 PM
James Takac

On Sunday 15 February 2009 05:39:30 NoOp wrote:
> On 02/13/2009 11:54 AM, H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In fully updated Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04), help browser keeps crashing.
> >
> > I have noticed that the first time it is opened by a user, it goes well.
> > But when it is opened by that user a second or subsequent times in the
> > same Gnome session, it crashes when the user clicks on any of the
> > hyperlinks in the browser.
> >
> > Obviously this has caused tremendous embarrassment to me since I have
> > been touting Ubuntu Hardy as a robust and reliable operating system. The
> > system is being used by new users and clearly it doesn't help that the
> > help browser itself is crashing
> >
> > Anybody else having this problem? This is on an AMD 64 system.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Same problem here on 32bit 8.04.2. Unfortunately:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp
> will result in responses to bugs like this from 223918:
>
> "Thanks for the bug report. This particular bug has already been
> reported, but feel free to report any other bugs you find."
>
> Note that in About Help it shows a nonexistent package name:
> Help 2.22.1
> It's actually Yelp 2.22.1
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=yelp
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-updates/yelp

Hi

It's working fine on this lap top. Just a thought but do you have visual
effects enabled? If so try disabling them and see if it still crashes

James

Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 PM
"H.S."

Hi,

James Takac wrote:

> Hi
>
> It's working fine on this lap top. Just a thought but do you have visual
> effects enabled? If so try disabling them and see if it still crashes
>
> James

No, they are not enabled in my case.

->HS

ever having been read.