Old 02-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default More virtualbox

Running Ubuntu 8.10, latest upgrades, and virtualbox, latest version
installed from .deb at the virtualbox.org site.

Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a
"stuttering key" effect, where typing something like "http://" will
start resulting on the VM with "httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttp://" or
worse? Any fix for that?

Vbox additions are installed on the Ubuntu guest.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Dotan Cohen

2009/2/13 Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>:
> Running Ubuntu 8.10, latest upgrades, and virtualbox, latest version
> installed from .deb at the virtualbox.org site.
>
> Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a
> "stuttering key" effect, where typing something like "http://" will
> start resulting on the VM with "httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttp://" or
> worse? Any fix for that?
>
> Vbox additions are installed on the Ubuntu guest.

There is a bug open in Launchpad stating that certain kernels on
certain hardware causes this. You really should add your find to that
bug, as it may be easier to reproduce for the devs.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Running Ubuntu 8.10, latest upgrades, and virtualbox, latest version
> installed from .deb at the virtualbox.org site.
>
> Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a
> "stuttering key" effect, where typing something like "http://" will
> start resulting on the VM with "httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttp://" or
> worse? Any fix for that?

Even better, I'm running Ubuntu as a guest on Windows Vista Home, and seeing
the same problem. This wouldn't be my ideal choice of environments, but I
haven't been able to get Ubuntu to install on this new laptop (either 8.4 -
which is definitely a good CD - or 8.10 - which might not be a clean burn:
I can't actually even run the CD test at boot time). otoh, I occasionally
have to run Oracle, which is a phenomenal hog that can kill my stall my
whole laptop, since I was already running Ubuntu as a vm client, it seemed
like a pretty simple step to run Oracle in its own vm. Works very nicely,
and I would never have thought of it running Ubuntu natively. When I _do_
finally get Ubuntu installed and booting, I'll just move the Oracle vm over
there.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2009/2/13 Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>:
>> Running Ubuntu 8.10, latest upgrades, and virtualbox, latest version
>> installed from .deb at the virtualbox.org site.
>>
>> Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a
>> "stuttering key" effect, where typing something like "http://" will
>> start resulting on the VM with "httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttp://" or
>> worse? Any fix for that?
>>
>> Vbox additions are installed on the Ubuntu guest.
>>

> There is a bug open in Launchpad stating that certain kernels on
> certain hardware causes this. You really should add your find to that
> bug, as it may be easier to reproduce for the devs.

Thanks Dotan, I'll check that out too.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 AM
NoOp

On 02/13/2009 04:27 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> Running Ubuntu 8.10, latest upgrades, and virtualbox, latest version
>> installed from .deb at the virtualbox.org site.
>>
>> Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a
>> "stuttering key" effect, where typing something like "http://" will
>> start resulting on the VM with "httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttp://" or
>> worse? Any fix for that?
>
> Even better, I'm running Ubuntu as a guest on Windows Vista Home, and seeing
> the same problem. This wouldn't be my ideal choice of environments, but I
> haven't been able to get Ubuntu to install on this new laptop (either 8.4 -
> which is definitely a good CD - or 8.10 - which might not be a clean burn:
> I can't actually even run the CD test at boot time). otoh, I occasionally
> have to run Oracle, which is a phenomenal hog that can kill my stall my
> whole laptop, since I was already running Ubuntu as a vm client, it seemed
> like a pretty simple step to run Oracle in its own vm. Works very nicely,
> and I would never have thought of it running Ubuntu natively. When I _do_
> finally get Ubuntu installed and booting, I'll just move the Oracle vm over
> there.

I don't suppose it is related, but I experience the same problem when I
connect up an old WUSB11 wireless device to any of my systems -
regardless of whether or not the keyboard is PS2 or USB. I've not
bothered to troubleshoot it as the device will on do WEP, but it sure
sounds the same & drives me crazy.

@Dotan: do you have a ref url for the bug?

@Bart: do you have any USB ports/devices enabled?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

NoOp wrote:
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>

>>> Running Ubuntu 8.10, latest upgrades, and virtualbox, latest version
>>> installed from .deb at the virtualbox.org site.
>>>
>>> Has anyone run Ubuntu as a guest on an Ubuntu host and seen a
>>> "stuttering key" effect, where typing something like "http://" will
>>> start resulting on the VM with "httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttp://" or
>>> worse? Any fix for that?
>>>

> I don't suppose it is related, but I experience the same problem when I
> connect up an old WUSB11 wireless device to any of my systems -
> regardless of whether or not the keyboard is PS2 or USB. I've not
> bothered to troubleshoot it as the device will on do WEP, but it sure
> sounds the same & drives me crazy.
>
> @Dotan: do you have a ref url for the bug?
>
> @Bart: do you have any USB ports/devices enabled?

Same thing here with Intrepid since hardware upgrade but apparently not
related to VirtualBox. It randomly happens with any text editor. I first
thought it was my old keyboard and didn't pay much attention, could it
be a new USB mouse?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
So Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
skype: lmnicolosi1

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 AM
NoOp

On 02/13/2009 07:02 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> NoOp wrote:

>> I don't suppose it is related, but I experience the same problem when I
>> connect up an old WUSB11 wireless device to any of my systems -
>> regardless of whether or not the keyboard is PS2 or USB. I've not
>> bothered to troubleshoot it as the device will on do WEP, but it sure
>> sounds the same & drives me crazy.
>>
>> @Dotan: do you have a ref url for the bug?
>>
>> @Bart: do you have any USB ports/devices enabled?
>>

> Same thing here with Intrepid since hardware upgrade but apparently not
> related to VirtualBox. It randomly happens with any text editor. I first
> thought it was my old keyboard and didn't pay much attention, could it
> be a new USB mouse?
>
> L.

Could be a USB issue overall; on the system(s) that gave me fits with
the WUSB11 wireless (USB) device, the problem was particularly
noticeable in the gnome-terminal app. (even 2.22.1) and all on Gutsy &
Hardy - I've not tried it in Intrepid yet, but suppose I could. I'm
thinking that this may not be a VirtualBox issue vs a standard Ubuntu
issue. Then again - maybe related:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/159
[Keyboard repeat rate in Ubuntu]
<quote>
I'm verry sorry to have reported this problem here. I didn't realize at
first that it is a cpu-load related problem with Ubuntu.

There seems to be no concrete fix from Ubuntu yet (annoying) but there
is a bugreport 39315in de Ubuntu support database.
</quote>

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/39315
[Keyboard random repeat and dropped key presses]

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Blaunchpad+%2Bk eyboard+sticks&btnG=Search>

Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/13/2009 07:02 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> I don't suppose it is related, but I experience the same problem when I
>>> connect up an old WUSB11 wireless device to any of my systems -
>>> regardless of whether or not the keyboard is PS2 or USB. I've not
>>> bothered to troubleshoot it as the device will on do WEP, but it sure
>>> sounds the same & drives me crazy.
>>>
>>> @Dotan: do you have a ref url for the bug?
>>>
>>> @Bart: do you have any USB ports/devices enabled?
>>>

>> Same thing here with Intrepid since hardware upgrade but apparently not
>> related to VirtualBox. It randomly happens with any text editor. I first
>> thought it was my old keyboard and didn't pay much attention, could it
>> be a new USB mouse?
>>
>> L.
>>

> Could be a USB issue overall; on the system(s) that gave me fits with
> the WUSB11 wireless (USB) device, the problem was particularly
> noticeable in the gnome-terminal app. (even 2.22.1) and all on Gutsy &
> Hardy - I've not tried it in Intrepid yet, but suppose I could. I'm
> thinking that this may not be a VirtualBox issue vs a standard Ubuntu
> issue. Then again - maybe related:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/159
> [Keyboard repeat rate in Ubuntu]
> <quote>
> I'm verry sorry to have reported this problem here. I didn't realize at
> first that it is a cpu-load related problem with Ubuntu.
>
> There seems to be no concrete fix from Ubuntu yet (annoying) but there
> is a bugreport 39315in de Ubuntu support database.
> </quote>
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/39315
> [Keyboard random repeat and dropped key presses]
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Blaunchpad+%2Bk eyboard+sticks&btnG=Search>

I have never seen this issue before (Feisty/Gutsy/Hardy, even betas) but
then the only USB device installed was a Bluetooth adapter hardly used.
Now I have a mouseuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, [happened again] cam and phone.)

Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Dotan Cohen

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/39315
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/55843/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/124406

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> I have never seen this issue before (Feisty/Gutsy/Hardy, even betas) but
> then the only USB device installed was a Bluetooth adapter hardly used.
> Now I have a mouseuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, [happened again] cam and phone.)

I would say it's not USB, as it happens on my laptop with no USB devices
(except probably the builtin webcam - I haven't checked but my last one was
actually on the USB bus).

The simplest workaround was simply to disable keyboard repeat. I only ever
use it to backspace over a line - and there are better ways to handle that.