Old 02-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default PHPBB3 from Synaptic

I installed phpbb3 from the repos on a freshly-installed system, told it
to set up SQLite (default option).

After that was done Apache seems to be working as "It Works!" comes up
when I browse to localhost from FireFox.

But...where's the admin panel to configure and work with PHPBB3?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> writes:

> I installed phpbb3 from the repos on a freshly-installed system, told it
> to set up SQLite (default option).
>
> After that was done Apache seems to be working as "It Works!" comes up
> when I browse to localhost from FireFox.
>
> But...where's the admin panel to configure and work with PHPBB3?

You should read /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

> You should read /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian.

It got me slightly further..I created a symlink in /etc/apache2/conf.d
to point to /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf, but now when I go to
http://localhost/phpbb3 I get a blank page, nothing else. No error
either so it must be pulling something.

Time to see if anything is showing up in the logs...

Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> You should read /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian.
> It got me slightly further..I created a symlink in /etc/apache2/conf.d
> to point to /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf

Is that what is written in /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian?
If yes, look at the logs.

Please give us the content of /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf too.
And (if not heavy) /etc/apache2/sites-available/*

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>> You should read /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian.
>> It got me slightly further..I created a symlink in /etc/apache2/conf.d
>> to point to /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf
>
> Is that what is written in /usr/share/doc/phpbb3/README.Debian?
> If yes, look at the logs.
>
> Please give us the content of /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf too.
> And (if not heavy) /etc/apache2/sites-available/*

What is in the README is, for first use,
***********
2) Make sure you include /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf in the apache config of
your choice, for example by creating a symlink from etc/apache(2)/conf.d
to it. Usually, phpbb3 should have asked you to do this for you during
configuring.

3) Reload apache to have the changed in (2) take effect.

4) Go to the URL of your board, usually
http://yourserver.example.com/phpbb. If this doesn't work, see previous
step, and consult your apache documentation if that still doesn't
resolve the issue.

**********

I made the link, and reloaded it. Nothing...including no error on the
browser about the file not existing.

The error log said,
**********
File does not exist: /var/www/phpbb
********
So I went into /var/www and created a symlink from phpbb to
/usr/share/phpbb3/www. Blank page now.

the /etc/phpbb3/apache.conf is the default,:
**************
> # Note: order matters
> Alias /phpbb/images/avatars /var/lib/phpbb3/avatars
> Alias /phpbb /usr/share/phpbb3/www
>
> <Directory /usr/share/phpbb3/www/>
> <IfModule mod_php4.c>
> php_flag register_globals off
> </IfModule>
> <IfModule mod_php5.c>
> php_flag register_globals off
> </IfModule>
>
> Options -Indexes +FollowSymlinks
>
> DirectoryIndex index.php
>
> AllowOverride None
> order allow,deny
> allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> # For a second board on the same server (see README.multiboard for details):
> #
> #Alias /second_board/images/avatars /var/lib/phpbb3/board2_avatars <<< create!
> #Alias /second_board /usr/share/phpbb3/www
> #<Location /second_board>
> # php_value auto_prepend_file /etc/phpbb3/alternative_config.php
> #</Location>
>
> # For virtual host:
> #<VirtualHost *>
> # # For using an alternative database (for multiple boards for example)
> # php_value auto_prepend_file /etc/phpbb3/virtualhost_config.php
> #
> # ServerName forum.example.com
> # DocumentRoot /usr/share/phpbb3/www
> # # You may need to workaround the global /images/ alias in your apache
> # # configuration, your mileage may vary
> # Alias /images/avatars /var/lib/phpbb3/avatars
> # Alias /images /usr/share/phpbb3/www/images
> #</VirtualHost>

And the sites-available has two files, both default configurations(this
whole server was set up yesterday with defaults using synaptic)...the
first file is called default, and the other is ssl-default, but here's
the file called default: