-   -   WiFi problem I do not understand (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/244840-wifi-problem-i-do-not-understand.html)

Aleks A.-Lessmann 02-13-2009 08:13 AM

WiFi problem I do not understand

Ubuntu 8.10 running Gnome on a Dell XPS M1330, WiFi driver iwl3945.

I can make a connection with an open hotspot with no problems and good
quality.

I need to log in to the server behind the hotspot via browser. Normally
this goes smoothly and with no problems, but once in about a week the
browser can not make any connection at all, giving an "address not
found" error. The server is running as checked with the hotline.

As I am not logged in, I can not access any other sites either.

DHCP works, as I not only have an IP, but also a default route and a
primary DNS.

No firewall is installed on this system. Normally this error happens
after the Dell went into hibernate.

Rebooting the OS or subsequent hibernate cycles do not chance the
situation. In fact, the situation changes sometime, somehow, but I don't
know why it does in either direction.

Does anybody know where I should look to find what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
Aleks

Raseel Bhagat 02-13-2009 08:29 AM

[...]

When this error comes, are you able to ping to that machine using either the IP or the name of the machine ?

Thanks,
Raseel

Patton Echols 02-14-2009 02:39 AM

On 02/13/2009 01:13 AM, Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.10 running Gnome on a Dell XPS M1330, WiFi driver iwl3945.
>
> I can make a connection with an open hotspot with no problems and good
> quality.
>
> I need to log in to the server behind the hotspot via browser. Normally
> this goes smoothly and with no problems, but once in about a week the
> browser can not make any connection at all, giving an "address not
> found" error. The server is running as checked with the hotline.

By "hotspot" I assume you mean a WiFi access point, correct?

> As I am not logged in, I can not access any other sites either.
>
> DHCP works, as I not only have an IP, but also a default route and a
> primary DNS.

Try to see if you can ping the primary dns by number also the router and
the server as suggested by someone else. If not, you have no connection
even though it looks like it.

I had a similar problem with my home access point/router. Even though
it was working fine as a router for wired connections, it would drop the
wifi while appearing to be connected. (I could even log in to it's admin
interface from a wired connection and it would tell me my laptop was
connected.)

Try restarting the access point, then attempt to refresh the laptop's
WiFi connection without a reboot. Just use NetworkManager to try
again. If this works reliably, you may be in the market for a firmware
upgrade of your AP. And when that does not work, some new hardware.

BTW, I was curious when I had to restart the AP once a week, annoyed
when I had to do it every day. When I had to do it twice in one day I
tossed it. Never had the problem since.

> No firewall is installed on this system. Normally this error happens
> after the Dell went into hibernate.

There was an issue on some cards after reboot, but a dbus restart or
reboot always fixed it and I think it has been patched for most systems
by now.

Derek Broughton 02-14-2009 02:47 PM

Patton Echols wrote:

> By "hotspot" I assume you mean a WiFi access point, correct?

Generally a bit more than that. Usually a WiFI access point (but could even
be wired) with access restrictions generally implemented by DNS lookups
being rerouted to an internal LAN address until the user authenticates.

Aleks A.-Lessmann 02-14-2009 03:33 PM

WiFi problem I do not understand

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:59:10 +0530, Raseel Bhagat
<raseelbhagat@gmail.com> wrote:
>When this error comes, are you able to ping to that machine using either the
>IP or the name of the machine ?

No, I'm not. What I haven't tried is to ping the nameserver, which I
will do the next time the error appear (which would hopefully be
never...)

Thanks
Aleks