Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default deb http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-proposed/

Can anyone shed some light for me on why the above
ubuntu mirror doesn't work. Yep, I googled on it and
find the link that shows all, main, restricted, universe
and multiverse with each containing files. I get error
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-proposed/multiverse Packages
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
on all, main, restricted, multivers and universe.
Appreciate any insight on why this is not working or if the
url has changed its address and why I don't pick that up googling.
TIA,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:33:14 -0800 (PST)
Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Can anyone shed some light for me on why the above
> ubuntu mirror doesn't work. Yep, I googled on it and
> find the link that shows all, main, restricted, universe
> and multiverse with each containing files. I get error
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-proposed/multiverse Packages
> 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
> on all, main, restricted, multivers and universe.
> Appreciate any insight on why this is not working or if the
> url has changed its address and why I don't pick that up googling.
> TIA,
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Doesn't that need to be 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse' ?

Note the /ubuntu/

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:33:14 -0800 (PST)
> Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone shed some light for me on why the above
> > ubuntu mirror doesn't work. Yep, I googled on it
> and
> > find the link that shows all, main, restricted,
> universe
> > and multiverse with each containing files. I get error
> > Err http://archive.ubuntu.com
> hardy-proposed/multiverse Packages
> > 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
> > on all, main, restricted, multivers and universe.
> > Appreciate any insight on why this is not working or
> if the
> > url has changed its address and why I don't pick
> that up googling.
> > TIA,
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> Doesn't that need to be 'deb
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse' ?
>
> Note the /ubuntu/

Thanks Charlie,
Although I copied your mirror it didn't work due to line wrap I
suppose but after fiddling with it for a while, I got the correct
format down and now aptitude update works with no errors. Had some multiple entries also due to using software sources which apparently just adds a new line and not overwrite an identical entry. I also got a few serious errors due to bad formatting which didn't show before:
E: Malformed line 71 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (absolute dist)
E: Couldn't read list of package sources
Which I corrected by comparing and trial and error. It seems there
were some ..../dist/... in the entries that was giving the error but
were there before and did not give any errors while updating. In this case nothing would update because of the error. And I was beginning to think that I new all about fixing the sources.list=)
Appreciate your help.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:29:13 -0800 (PST)

You are welcome.

--
Charlie Kravetz