Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default OT Internet wars

I will loose the DSL Internet in 10 days according to Qwest who
stated they are cutting off SkyWi, a tiny Internet provider in New
Mexico. In NM the only way to get Internet is from Qwest, period.

SkyWi decided to sue Qwest for billing errors and racketeering. The
suit is ongoing and Qwest is going to win by putting SkyWi out of
business. This puts me out of business as well.

I have moved most of my email to gmail.com so all I really need is
the Internet. I can get that from Qwest which is the only way I can keep
using DSL. If not Qwest it's back to 36kb dialup. Have to get my wife
set up with email. Then it will work.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I will loose the DSL Internet in 10 days

Is that anything like unleashing the dogs of war? Or do you mean you're
going to lose access?

:-)

> according to Qwest who
> stated they are cutting off SkyWi, a tiny Internet provider in New
> Mexico. In NM the only way to get Internet is from Qwest, period.

What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I will loose the DSL Internet in 10 days
>>

> Is that anything like unleashing the dogs of war? Or do you mean you're
> going to lose access?
>
> :-)
>

>> according to Qwest who
>> stated they are cutting off SkyWi, a tiny Internet provider in New
>> Mexico. In NM the only way to get Internet is from Qwest, period.
>>

> What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?

It is a choice I have to make in 10 days it appears.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> It is a choice I have to make in 10 days it appears.

Well, satellite's an option if you're not a server of some kind...was
just pointing it out because you initially said it was Qwest or nothing.

All else fails you can look for a device to tie two phone lines together
for a virtual 100k link. But they get dicey in reliability. Then again,
most dialup is.

Or a dedicated frac t1 line of some kind.

I don't know what the connection is worth to you.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Derek Broughton

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?

Better than dial-up, no better than QWest DSL in terms of service (and a
much slower link).
--
derek

Old 02-12-2009, 04:40 PM
drew einhorn

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?
>
> Better than dial-up, no better than QWest DSL in terms of service (and a
> much slower link).

Check the fine print on what happens if you actually use the satellite
provider's bandwidth.
My information is quite stale and may not be accurate.

Some have very low quotas on how much traffic you are allowed to generate?
What are those limits?
What happens if you exceed the limit?
If you exceed the limits and you are punished, how long does it take
until the punishment is lifted?
Can you tell how close to the limits you are, and cut back on your
usage to avoid the penalties?

In the past some satellite providers refused to provide answers to the
above questions.
I don't know what any of the providers current policies are.

For example, you need to know if you can download a Ubuntu
installation .iso without being severely punished.

> --
> derek

Drew Einhorn

Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Wade Smart

drew einhorn wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?
>> Better than dial-up, no better than QWest DSL in terms of service (and a
>> much slower link).
>
> Check the fine print on what happens if you actually use the satellite
> provider's bandwidth.
> My information is quite stale and may not be accurate.
>
> Some have very low quotas on how much traffic you are allowed to generate?
> What are those limits?
> What happens if you exceed the limit?
> If you exceed the limits and you are punished, how long does it take
> until the punishment is lifted?
> Can you tell how close to the limits you are, and cut back on your
> usage to avoid the penalties?
>
> In the past some satellite providers refused to provide answers to the
> above questions.
> I don't know what any of the providers current policies are.
>
> For example, you need to know if you can download a Ubuntu
> installation .iso without being severely punished.

20090212 1146 GMT-5

Home satellite internet is a joke. If it is the ONLY thing available
then that is your only choice. But if there is ANY other option I
strongly suggest you look at it.

HughesNet
Home 1Mbps / 128Kbps $60mo
ElitePremium 5Mpbs / 300Kbps $350mo

$300 on equipment or Lease for $100 down $10 per month - 2 year contract

Unlimited downloading between 3am and 6am

Home 200mb threshold, ElitePremium 500mb

Compare that with cable:
$30mo 8mb down 1.5mb up 10GB per day, $5 MTA modem

Compare that with wireless:
$30 to $60mo, 3-5mb down, 300 to 800kb up, 1 to 5gb per day, $100 to
$500 for equipment.

Prices differ per region.

Something to consider - Hughes net called me to service a client and
when I arrived I found they were running Red Hat. The software was
Windows only. I had originally got the client around that problem but
when HughesNet pinged the client for trouble shooting and the software
didnt respond - they discovered what I had done.

Im sure other still get around it - but if you have other options, check
them out first. Satellite is just NOT the best use of your money. And,
weather does still effect two way communication.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM
David Fox

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> HughesNet
> Home 1Mbps / 128Kbps $60mo
> ElitePremium 5Mpbs / 300Kbps $350mo

Ouch. Better move to someplace Wiline.com has service - I get >10mbps,
most of the time (up to 15 mpbs) same upload speed as download speed,
no caps, and $44.95 bundled with Direct TV.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Wade Smart

Wade Smart wrote:
> drew einhorn wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Derek Broughton
>> <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

>>> Better than dial-up, no better than QWest DSL in terms of service (and a
>>> much slower link).
>>
>> Check the fine print on what happens if you actually use the satellite
>> provider's bandwidth.
>> My information is quite stale and may not be accurate.
>>
>> Some have very low quotas on how much traffic you are allowed to
>> generate?
>> What are those limits?
>> What happens if you exceed the limit?
>> If you exceed the limits and you are punished, how long does it take
>> until the punishment is lifted?
>> Can you tell how close to the limits you are, and cut back on your
>> usage to avoid the penalties?
>>
>> In the past some satellite providers refused to provide answers to the
>> above questions.
>> I don't know what any of the providers current policies are.
>>
>> For example, you need to know if you can download a Ubuntu
>> installation .iso without being severely punished.
>
> 20090212 1146 GMT-5
>
> Home satellite internet is a joke. If it is the ONLY thing available
> then that is your only choice. But if there is ANY other option I
> strongly suggest you look at it.
>
> HughesNet
> Home 1Mbps / 128Kbps $60mo
> ElitePremium 5Mpbs / 300Kbps $350mo
>
> $300 on equipment or Lease for $100 down $10 per month - 2 year contract
>
> Unlimited downloading between 3am and 6am
>
> Home 200mb threshold, ElitePremium 500mb
>

> Compare that with cable:
> $30mo 8mb down 1.5mb up 10GB per day, $5 MTA modem
>
> Compare that with wireless:
> $30 to $60mo, 3-5mb down, 300 to 800kb up, 1 to 5gb per day, $100 to
> $500 for equipment.
>
> Prices differ per region.
>

> Something to consider - Hughes net called me to service a client and
> when I arrived I found they were running Red Hat. The software was
> Windows only. I had originally got the client around that problem but
> when HughesNet pinged the client for trouble shooting and the software
> didnt respond - they discovered what I had done.
>
> Im sure other still get around it - but if you have other options, check
> them out first. Satellite is just NOT the best use of your money. And,
> weather does still effect two way communication.
>
> Wade

20090212 1241 GMT-5

Of course there are other companies like WildBlue.
http://www.wildblue.com/getWildblue/doServiceAvailabilitySearchAction.do

Value = $55 mo for 24mo, 512k down, 128k up, 7gb down 2.3gb total bandwidth

Select: $70mo, 1M down, 200k up, 12gb down, 3gb up bandwidth

Pro: $90mo, 1.5m down, 256k up, 17gb down, 5gb up bandwidth,

$100 for equipment or $6 per mo.

Wade

Old 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Derek Broughton

drew einhorn wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> What about DirecTV or some other satellite provider?
>>
>> Better than dial-up, no better than QWest DSL in terms of service (and a
>> much slower link).
>
> Check the fine print on what happens if you actually use the satellite
> provider's bandwidth.
> My information is quite stale and may not be accurate.
>
> Some have very low quotas on how much traffic you are allowed to generate?

All, afaik.

> What are those limits?

Depends on plan.

> What happens if you exceed the limit?

FAP! A fine acronym that is supposed to mean "Fair Access Policy", but
really means "we're charging you an arm and a leg for Internet access and
we will take at least one more limb if you really want to do anything
useful". Basically, you get throttled down to less-than-dialup speeds
(interestingly, FAP is purely one-way - I have pushed large files _out_ to
the Internet while FAPped that I'd never be able to download (although the
outbound speed is much slower than the maximum _possible_ download speed).

> If you exceed the limits and you are punished, how long does it take
> until the punishment is lifted?

You'll never work it out - they use a leaky bucket algorithm that means it's
entirely possible you'll _never_ get unFAPped.

> Can you tell how close to the limits you are, and cut back on your
> usage to avoid the penalties?

Not ime.

> For example, you need to know if you can download a Ubuntu
> installation .iso without being severely punished.

Not on any satellite provider I have checked.