Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
John Hubbard

Default Memory and Paging

My computer has some memory. When I need more memory than the computer
writes some of the stuff in memory to the hard drive to free up the
memory. This is troublesome because the hard drive is very slow. While
moving stuff around the computer often slows way down since there is no
free memory. To fix things I often need to kill the run away task.
(Usually some code that I have written that is misbehaving or behaving
properly, but using more memory than I expected.) When in this state,
it often takes a very long time to ssh into the machine to kill the task
in question. I am trying to figure out a solution to this problem. It
seems like I would need to do a few things.

1) Have a process running that 'owns' a certain amount of memory (enough
to run bash/top/kill/pidof and a few other small programs) and keeps
this memory from being paged out.
2) Enough memory set aside for SSHD to allow a new connection.
3) Some way to ssh in and access that memory owning process or request
memory from that process.

Is there any way to do these things? Does someone else have a different
approach that accomplishes the same thing? How much memory am I talking
about? Would 5MB be enough? Any other thoughts or comments?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.