Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Knute Johnson

Default How do I get a script to run every ten minutes?

I need to run a script every ten minutes on the 0 minute. Is there a
simple way to do this?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge
to rule."

H.L. Mencken

Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 10:55 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I need to run a script every ten minutes on the 0 minute. Is there a
> simple way to do this?

Use cron. You can create a user specifc crontab file with
crontab -e

A simple crontab line which will do what you want is:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * some_command_with_arguments

or

*/10 * * * * some_command_with_arguments
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
"Lubbers, Nicholas"

Use cron for this.

crontab -e
10 * * * * /path/to/script

Nick

Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Knute Johnson wrote:
> I need to run a script every ten minutes on the 0 minute. Is there a
> simple way to do this?

See
http://www.foogazi.com/2008/04/01/quickzi-how-to-set-cron-to-run-every-5-minutes/
. Just replace the 5 with 10.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 PM
"Lubbers, Nicholas"

This is the proper way, sorry about my last post. I misread that you
wanted it EVERY 10 minutes continuously.

Nick

Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
> Use cron for this.
>
> crontab -e
> 10 * * * * /path/to/script

Won't that run every hour on the 10 minutes (e.g. 1:10, 2:10, 3:10),
etc, but not every 10 minutes? It's possible I'm wrong, but I think the
right syntax is:

*/10 * * * * /path/to/script

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Knute Johnson

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Lubbers, Nicholas wrote:
>> Use cron for this.
>>
>> crontab -e
>> 10 * * * * /path/to/script
>
> Won't that run every hour on the 10 minutes (e.g. 1:10, 2:10, 3:10),
> etc, but not every 10 minutes? It's possible I'm wrong, but I think the
> right syntax is:
>
> */10 * * * * /path/to/script
>
> Matt Flaschen

Thanks everybody for the answer. I know about cron and use it all the
time, just didn't know this syntax was possible.

Thanks,