Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
NoOp

Default partial upgrade

On 02/11/2009 09:11 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Started to install the latest upgrade and was greeted by a notice that
> not all upgrades could be installed. The option of installing a partial
> upgrade was offered which I accepted. Now at least one app, avscan,
> seems to have been uninstalled. When I tried to reinstall it everything
> seemed to go normally but nothing got installed. The only files are in
> /usr/share/doc/avscan, /var/lib/dpkg/info and /var/cache/apt/archives.
> Nothing else including /usr/bin/avscan. Running dpkg -l shows avscan as
> being installed. It lies!
>
> There was a list of files, most of which I can't remember, shown as
> being effected and I don't as yet know what other apps were impacted.
>
> The fact that the app was deleted doesn't bother me as much as the fact
> that it refuses to reinstall.

It's been removed from Intrepid:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan/+bug/241188
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan/+bug/248252
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan

Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, NoOp wrote:

> It's been removed from Intrepid:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan/+bug/241188
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan/+bug/248252
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan

Evidently it's been removed from Hardy as well. That's what I'm running.
I can't find a reason for the removal. Also, why did the update remove it
from my system rather than simply ignoring it?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
The most dangerous ones aren't the ones who don't know.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 21:57 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Evidently it's been removed from Hardy as well.

Does not look like it:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon =names&keywords=avscan

> I can't find a reason for the removal.

NoOp posted the links to the reasons.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Also, why did the update remove it from my system rather than simply ignoring it?

According to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan/+bug/248252 it fails to
build from source.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 21:57 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> Evidently it's been removed from Hardy as well.
>
> Does not look like it:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon =names&keywords=avscan

Firefox times out trying to connect. I'll try tomorrow.

>> I can't find a reason for the removal.
>
> NoOp posted the links to the reasons.

It looks like I read it and it didn't register. The second time I read
it I got it.

The question remains: why did the update *remove* the app instead of
ignoring it?

Thanks for the reply.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 00:52 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> The question remains: why did the update *remove* the app instead of
> ignoring it?

Unfortunately I have no idea. Maybe you can glean some clues from the
logs?

/var/log/apt/*
/var/log/dpkg.log*

/var/log/aptitude (if you use aptitude)
/var/lib/aptitude/*

Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> Also, why did the update remove it from my system rather than simply ignoring it?
>
> According to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avscan/+bug/248252 it fails to
> build from source.

I didn't connect that with reinstalling. Shows how much of a noob I
still am in some areas. The question remains of why the upgrade removed
the previously installed app. I don't see that would have anything to do
with building from source. What am I missing?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
A day without fusion is like, a day without sunshine