Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
olopopo

Default WinSCP to Ubuntu SFTP charset problem

Hi everyone!

I'm guessing if one of you has ever had this issue when copying files from Windoze to Ubuntu:

I have a Windoze box that runs a WinSCP (SFTP client) against a Ubuntu SSH (SFTP server). Everything works fine when I copy files, but when files have special characters (Windoze's language is Spanish, so text may have ,,, and so) the Ubuntu server (utf8) shows them as a unrecognized char.

On WinSCP files show OK, then this makes me guess that WinSCP always uses iso8859-1 or iso8859-15 even if you set the force option to utf8.

Does anyone had this problem?
I know i can iconv the text files after copying, but that's just a poor patch.

Is WinSCP's fault? If this is so (that i guess) Is there a GPL/free win32 SFTP (version 5) client out there? I've been googling, and my only hope is that I find a SFTP java client that supports conversion to utf8.

PS: SFTP is needed for ACL permission use... I think SCP doesn't support it

Thank you in advance,
Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Matthew Flaschen

olopopo wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm guessing if one of you has ever had this issue when copying files from
> Windoze to Ubuntu:
>
> I have a Windoze box that runs a WinSCP (SFTP client) against a Ubuntu SSH
> (SFTP server). Everything works fine when I copy files, but when files have
> special characters (Windoze's language is Spanish, so text may have ,,,
> and so) the Ubuntu server (utf8) shows them as a unrecognized char.

This is just an issue with the filenames, right?

> On WinSCP files show OK, then this makes me guess that WinSCP always uses
> iso8859-1 or iso8859-15 even if you set the force option to utf8.
>
> Does anyone had this problem?

See
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2009-01/msg00053.html
(read the whole thread). It's basically the same problem, except you
use ISO/IEC 8859-15 (but are you sure it's not Windows-1252) instead of
cp1250.

You know about convmv (http://www.j3e.de/linux/convmv/man/)?

> Is WinSCP's fault?

The root problem is probably that your filenames are stored in
Windows-1252, not UTF-16.

If this is so (that i guess) Is there a GPL/free win32
> SFTP (version 5) client out there?

You know WinSCP is GPL, right? You can try Putty
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html),
though, which is under a free license (MIT) but not GPL. PSFTP is the
SFTP client.

> my only hope is that I find a SFTP java client that supports conversion to utf8.

Why Java?

Matt Flaschen