Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Andrew Kane

Default Monitor problem (WAS: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com)

It's been my experience that monitor sync rates are not always
correctly detected. For example, my Viewsonic CRT is sometimes
detected as having a max vert refresh rate of 60 Hz(!) and sometimes
having a max rate of 75 Hz. This monitor should be capable of 160 Hz.
This wouldn't be a big deal if one could set those parameters
manually, for example by editing xorg.conf, but sadly this is no
longer the case as far as I have been able to determine.
This is somewhat unlikely to be identical with your problem as you are
using a newer monitor.

If you hit Ctrl-Alt-F2, can you get a working console?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:28 PM
David Curtis

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 02:39:41 -0800
Andrew Kane <googoleyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been my experience that monitor sync rates are not always
> correctly detected. For example, my Viewsonic CRT is sometimes
> detected as having a max vert refresh rate of 60 Hz(!) and sometimes
> having a max rate of 75 Hz. This monitor should be capable of 160 Hz.
> This wouldn't be a big deal if one could set those parameters
> manually, for example by editing xorg.conf, but sadly this is no
> longer the case as far as I have been able to determine.

Untrue, xorg.conf is still editable and in use, xorg will try to guess what hardware you have and _then_ will parse xorg.conf and use those settings in place of the automatically guessed ones.

--
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com>

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Andrew Kane

Thanks David, you are correct, as I found out yesterday. I guess I
should RTFM before sounding off.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 AM
gayathri singh

Thanks a bunch!!!* Ctrl-Alt-F2 worked! I can see a working console now!!
*
Regards,
GV

*