Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Monitor out of range after installation

gayathri singh wrote:
> I tried installing Ubuntu linux on my machine (Windows XP) & was able
> to see the options to restart my machine with ubuntu / windows.

Can you clarify a bit? How did you install Ubuntu? Did you put in the CD
while in Windows and install Ubuntu within Windows or did you reboot from
the CD and install from the LiveCD?

> However, I got stuck at the display part. My machine autodetects :
> Digital Input (DVI port) & says:"OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL. CANNOT DISPLAY
> THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO 1680X1050 @60Hz "

That is a message of your monitor, not the computer. But when did you see
this message? When you boot up, the first thing you see should be
messages from the BIOS while it is checking the memory and other things.
Then there should be a boot loader where you can select the operating
system. That could be the Windows boot loader or the Ubuntu boot loader
(GRUB) depending on how you installed Ubuntu. Now if you selected Ubuntu,
it should display the Ubuntu logo and a progress bar. Finally after about
1 minute (or even longer if you have a very slow machine) it should
display the login screen. Now the question is which of these parts did
you see before there was the message from your monitor?

> Has anyone come across such messages before?

Not me.

> I think it could be a
> problem with display drivers on my system. But can anyone suggest how I
> could work around this problem?

It may be that there is a driver problem, but I'd rather expect a
configuration problem. If you answer the questions above to give us some
more details someone might have a solution. It would also help if you
tell us some details about your machine, especially the type of monitor
and graphics card (you can probably find out from within Windows, but I
can't help you there).

> Setting the resolution & refresh rate in windows mode doesnt help

No, it can't help because Ubuntu is not a Windows program but a separate
operating system which controls your computer while it is running.
Therefore Windows settings don't apply.

Nils

Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM
gayathri singh

Hi,
*
Thanks for replying to my query. More details are embedded in the mail below:Hope I'll be able to get Ubuntu working! thanks * for your help!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

gayathri singh wrote:
> I tried installing Ubuntu linux on my machine (Windows XP) & was able

> to see the options to restart my machine with ubuntu / windows.

Can you clarify a bit? How did you install Ubuntu? Did you put in the CD
while in Windows and install Ubuntu within Windows or did you reboot from

the CD and install from the LiveCD?
*
Yes, I put in the CD while in windows & clicked on the "ubuntu" icon to install Ubuntu. Then on rebooting, I had the option to choose Ubuntu or Windows OS.

*

> However, I got stuck at the display part. My machine autodetects :
> Digital Input (DVI port) & says:"OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL. CANNOT DISPLAY

> THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO 1680X1050 @60Hz "

That is a message of your monitor, not the computer. But when did you see
this message? When you boot up, the first thing you see should be

messages from the BIOS while it is checking the memory and other things.
Then there should be a boot loader where you can select the operating
system. That could be the Windows boot loader or the Ubuntu boot loader

(GRUB) depending on how you installed Ubuntu. Now if you selected Ubuntu,
it should display the Ubuntu logo and a progress bar. Finally after about
1 minute (or even longer if you have a very slow machine) it should

display the login screen. Now the question is which of these parts did
you see before there was the message from your monitor?

*
I saw the messages from the BIOS & the Ubuntu logo and a progress bar. After this, I got the message on my monitor "OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL. CANNOT DISPLAY*THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO 1680X1050 @60Hz "

I could not see the login screen.

> Has anyone come across such messages before?

Not me.

> I think it could be a
> problem with display drivers on my system. But can anyone suggest how I
> could work around this problem?

It may be that there is a driver problem, but I'd rather expect a
configuration problem. If you answer the questions above to give us some
more details someone might have a solution. It would also help if you

tell us some details about your machine, especially the type of monitor
and graphics card (you can probably find out from within Windows, but I
can't help you there).
*
Mine is a DELL, wide screen*monitor.Supports a max resolution of 1650x1024
Its an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT display.
Other hardware details:Processor*is *Intel Core2Duo Quad, & is also Vista enabled. CPU has "Optiplex 755 " written on it.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Nils Kassube

gayathri singh wrote:
> I saw the messages from the BIOS & the Ubuntu logo and a progress bar.
> After this, I got the message on my monitor "OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL.
> CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO
> 1680X1050 @60Hz " I could not see the login screen.

> Mine is a DELL, wide screen monitor.Supports a max resolution of
> 1650x1024 Its an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT display.
> Other hardware details:Processor is Intel Core2Duo Quad, & is also
> Vista enabled. CPU has "Optiplex 755 " written on it.

Thanks for the additional info. The problem seems to be the automatic
configuration of the X server which doesn't find the correct video mode
for your monitor. However I'm not really familiar with X server problems,
so hopefully someone else can help.

Nils

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Andrew Kane

From a terminal, you can try:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will present you will a series of choices to pick out video
drivers, keyboard and mouse setup, etc. For some reason, it's not
consistent on my system (my xserver breaks a lot ☹)- sometimes it
skips the video driver section, sometimes other sections. At one time
one of the sections allowed you to specify monitor sync ranges and
allowed modes. I don't know if this is still the case.

If the dpkg-reconfigure does not help, you may be able to manually
edit your xorg.conf file, located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf - but make a
backup copy first! Look for the Monitor section, which will likely
contain an entry headed "Configured Monitor". You can enter the sync
ranges for your monitor here like so:

HorizSync: 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh: 43 - 72

Use the numbers for your monitor, of course. You can likely find them
on the manufacturer's website, or elsewhere on the big ol' net.

I'm about to try this last myself, to hopefully solve the xorg issues
I have been having (my monitor's sync ranges are not detected
correctly, so I'm limited to a lower resolution than I like, and the
available resolutions are not consistent.) If it breaks I'll let you
know, so you might want to wait for me to post about it unless you are
adventurous ;^)

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Andrew Kane

Well, it didn't hose my xserver
Also, I have more screen resolution options available than before.
Oddly, the Screen Resolution dialog still seems to think this monitor
is only capable of 60Hz vert refresh instead of 160 Hz, but what the
hell, at least it's working, right?

I hope you have equal or better results.