Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 AM
alex goretoy

Default How to Enable GUI ( Graphical User interfcae in FEDORA CORE Release 4

fix your GUI problem by installing Ubuntu
-Alex Goretoy
http://www.goretoy.com

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Douglas Khumalo <douglas@macromw.org> wrote:

Dear,

One of my PC is running on Fedora Core Release 4. I just inherited this machine, the person who was using it, disabled the GUI, all I want is to bring back GUI, what should I do, if at all one can have a solution to this.

Regards

Douglas

I'm sorry but this is an Ubuntu based list, so you'd better check your To: email address first.

Cheers,

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Douglas Khumalo <douglas@macromw.org> wrote:
> Dear,
>
> One of my PC is running on Fedora Core Release 4. I just inherited this
> machine, the person who was using it, disabled the GUI, all I want is to
> bring back GUI, what should I do, if at all one can have a solution to this.

You're on the wrong list

Try 'yum grouplist', then in the output find the group that represents
Gnome (or KDE), and 'yum groupinstall <that group>'. You may need to
enclose the group name in quotes if it contains spaces (blech!).

You need to do that as root ('su -'). If you don't know the root
password, you can add "single" to the boot line in grub (at bootup
time) and then in the resulting root shell do 'passwd root' and enter
a new password (twice). Then logout of the single user session and go
back to the above yum steps.

You will get better help on the Fedora mailing list...

Chris