Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 AM
NoOp

Default DDR Ram

On 02/10/2009 02:32 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.
>
> Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
> had luck with this?
>
> Karl

Only with Puppy Linux...

I think Ubuntu uses 12 volts.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Rashkae

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/10/2009 02:32 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
>> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
>> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
>> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.
>>
>> Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
>> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
>> had luck with this?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Only with Puppy Linux...
>
> I think Ubuntu uses 12 volts.

Karl's in luck, the memory specification states that DDR3 can withstand
a maximume of 1.975 volts without suffering damage.

However, installing DDR3 in the DDR2 socket will be very stiff..
Initially, lots of pressure will be needed when inserting the RAM to
mold the new notch properly.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 AM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/10/2009 02:32 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>> I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
>>> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
>>> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
>>> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
>>> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
>>> had luck with this?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>> Only with Puppy Linux...
>>
>> I think Ubuntu uses 12 volts.
>>

> Karl's in luck, the memory specification states that DDR3 can withstand
> a maximume of 1.975 volts without suffering damage.
>
> However, installing DDR3 in the DDR2 socket will be very stiff..
> Initially, lots of pressure will be needed when inserting the RAM to
> mold the new notch properly.

"Mold the notch properly..." Oh, you mean destroy the RAM socket on the
motherboard. Got it. Even you managed to get the thing seated, the
timings are probably wrong and it's not likely to work anyway.

The "Ubuntu uses 12 volts" comment made by NoOp was nonsense. Ubuntu has
nothing to do with the voltage rating of RAM and using Puppy Linux isn't
going to magically reduce the voltage supplied to the RAM.

Fortunately, the original poster has changed his mind about trying to
use DDR3 RAM in place of DDR2-400. By the way, you can always use higher
frequency rated RAM, e.g. DDR2-667 in place of DDR2-400 but I've found
that even with two identical motherboards with the BIOS at the same
revision, it can be a hit-and-miss proposition. You just have to test. I
don't like mixing RAM of different brands, much less frequencies or
timings, on the same motherboard.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Your right. I have asked to cancel the order. And I found some DDR2
> 400 which are what the motherboard book calls for and they are cheaper too.

Good choice, buying the right RAM for your motherboard is the best
decision!

best wishes

Mark

Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Only with Puppy Linux...
>>>
>>> I think Ubuntu uses 12 volts.
>>>

>> Karl's in luck, the memory specification states that DDR3 can withstand
>> a maximume of 1.975 volts without suffering damage.
>>
>> However, installing DDR3 in the DDR2 socket will be very stiff..
>> Initially, lots of pressure will be needed when inserting the RAM to
>> mold the new notch properly.
>
> "Mold the notch properly..." Oh, you mean destroy the RAM socket on the
> motherboard. Got it. Even you managed to get the thing seated, the
> timings are probably wrong and it's not likely to work anyway.
>
> The "Ubuntu uses 12 volts" comment made by NoOp was nonsense. Ubuntu has
> nothing to do with the voltage rating of RAM and using Puppy Linux isn't
> going to magically reduce the voltage supplied to the RAM.

Those 2 comment are also what is commonly referred to as "jokes".

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 AM
NoOp

On 02/11/2009 06:50 AM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>> Rashkae wrote:

>>> Karl's in luck, the memory specification states that DDR3 can withstand
>>> a maximume of 1.975 volts without suffering damage.
>>>
>>> However, installing DDR3 in the DDR2 socket will be very stiff..
>>> Initially, lots of pressure will be needed when inserting the RAM to
>>> mold the new notch properly.
>>
>> "Mold the notch properly..." Oh, you mean destroy the RAM socket on the
>> motherboard. Got it. Even you managed to get the thing seated, the
>> timings are probably wrong and it's not likely to work anyway.
>>
>> The "Ubuntu uses 12 volts" comment made by NoOp was nonsense. Ubuntu has
>> nothing to do with the voltage rating of RAM and using Puppy Linux isn't
>> going to magically reduce the voltage supplied to the RAM.
>>

> Those 2 comment are also what is commonly referred to as "jokes".

They were indeed. However this may be helpful for Kark and others (no
joke this time); you can use

$ sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt

and then

$ gedit dmidecode.txt

to find out what your bios reports. Note: you can change dmidecode.txt
to whatever you want, I just name it that so that it's easy to remember
the command that I ran to get it. You can also open it with any other
editor (kedit etc) for reading, printing etc., it's a standard text file.

The output of the command will show you information such as (taken from
one of my machines):

Memory Controller Information
Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
Error Correcting Capabilities:
None
Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MB
Maximum Total Memory Size: 4096 MB
Supported Speeds:
70 ns
60 ns
Supported Memory Types:
Other
Unknown
Standard
FPM
EDO
Parity
ECC
SIMM
DIMM
Burst EDO
SDRAM
Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
Associated Memory Slots: 4
0x0009
0x000A
0x000B
0x000C
Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
None

Sorry to take so long in responding, but I'd forgotten the usefullness
of dmidecode. Be aware however:
http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/
<quote>
Beware that DMI data have proven to be too unreliable to be blindly
trusted. Dmidecode does not scan your hardware, it only reports what the
BIOS told it to.
</quote>
So, use with some common sense. And if all else fails, hook up a 12amp
vaccum motor to see if that works :-)

Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Ray Parrish

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/11/2009 06:50 AM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

>>> "Mold the notch properly..." Oh, you mean destroy the RAM socket on the
>>> motherboard. Got it. Even you managed to get the thing seated, the
>>> timings are probably wrong and it's not likely to work anyway.
>>>
>>> The "Ubuntu uses 12 volts" comment made by NoOp was nonsense. Ubuntu has
>>> nothing to do with the voltage rating of RAM and using Puppy Linux isn't
>>> going to magically reduce the voltage supplied to the RAM.
>>>

>> Those 2 comment are also what is commonly referred to as "jokes".
>>

> They were indeed. However this may be helpful for Kark and others (no
> joke this time); you can use
>
> $ sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt
>
> and then
>
> $ gedit dmidecode.txt
>
> to find out what your bios reports.

That rocks! Thank you so much for that information. I hope it's
reliable, as according to the output of that command my Emachine T3410
is a 64 bit machine, which I was unaware of before.

It also has room for up to 8 GB of RAM via two 4 GB modules with a 64
bit data path, and states that the maximum speed for the cpu is 3000
mhz, but it is running at 2010 mhz currently, which is what my AMD
Sempron 3400+ processor is rated for. It *is* reporting my cpu as being
an AMD Athlon 64, in a Socket 940 connector however, so either the specs
I've read about my machine are incorrect, or the BIOS is lying to me.

It lists Upgrade: Socket 754 also in the CPU information area, but I
have no idea how one would go about upgrading the CPU Socket. I'm going
to have to do some surfing today to try and verify this information.
It's great that we can run a simple command line program to poll the
BIOS in Linux, there is no way that I know of to get the same
information without rebooting Windows and actually entering the BIOS setup.

Thanks again! Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
NoOp

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/200

Old 02-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Ray Parrish

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/28/2009 06:36 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Sempron 3400
>>

> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/200

Thanks for the link, unfortunately, it keeps dropping out on me when I
try to advance to another page on the site.

I'll give it another try later, and maybe they will have their server
running a bit better by them.

Later, Ray Parrish