Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
gayathri singh

Default ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Hi There,

I tried installing Ubuntu linux on my machine (Windows
XP) & was able to see the options to restart my machine with ubuntu
/ windows. However, I got stuck at the display part. My machine
autodetects : Digital Input (DVI port) & says:"OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL.
CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER DISPLAY INPUT TO
1680X1050 @60Hz "

Has anyone come across such messages before? I think it could be a
problem with display drivers on my system. But can anyone suggest how I
could work around this problem?

Setting the resolution & refresh rate in windows mode doesnt help

Thanks,
GV

Old 02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
NoOp

On 02/10/2009 02:38 PM, gayathri singh wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I tried installing Ubuntu linux on my machine (Windows XP) & was able to see
> the options to restart my machine with ubuntu / windows. However, I got
> stuck at the display part. My machine autodetects : Digital Input (DVI port)
> & says:"OUT OF RANGE SIGNAL. CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE, CHANGE COMPUTER
> DISPLAY INPUT TO 1680X1050 @60Hz "
>
> Has anyone come across such messages before? I think it could be a problem
> with display drivers on my system. But can anyone suggest how I could work
> around this problem?
>
> Setting the resolution & refresh rate in windows mode doesnt help
>
> Thanks,
> GV

When you get to the grub menu - the menu that gives you the choice
between Windows and Ubuntu, you should see two Ubuntu kernel options,
one for the default generic kernel, and on for the generic kernel with
"(recovery mode)". Select the 'recovery mode' kernel. That will boot
into a menu (following many lines of boot output):

resume Resume normal boot
clean Try to make free space
dpkg Repair broken packages
fsck File system check
root Drop to root shell prompt
xfix Try to fix X server

Select 'xfix' and let Ubuntu do it's thing. When it's finished, select
the 'resume' option and it will continue to boot. Hopefully that will
get you to the login screen where you can log in and then continue on to
the standard Ubuntu desktop.
Post back with your results.