Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default DDR Ram

I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.

Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
had luck with this?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.
>
> Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
> had luck with this?
>
> Karl

I don't think DDR3 RAM will fit into a DDR2 slot, IIRC. And the power
requirements were the reason for that change.

If I am not mistaken.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mark Haney wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
>> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
>> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
>> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.
>>
>> Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
>> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
>> had luck with this?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> I don't think DDR3 RAM will fit into a DDR2 slot, IIRC. And the power
> requirements were the reason for that change.
>
> If I am not mistaken.

Well I looked at the ram in a big picture and it seemed to be the
same number of pins with a gap at the right place. But any small change
would not show up. Thanks.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Victor Padro

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> * * I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls

> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of

> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts

> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.

> * * Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not

> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone

> had luck with this?

> Karl

I don't think DDR3 RAM will fit into a DDR2 slot, IIRC. *And the power

requirements were the reason for that change.

If I am not mistaken.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney

Sr. Systems Administrator

ERC Broadband

(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Have you checked the manufacturer's website?* Perhaps look up for the Motherboard specs?
It will tell you if DDR3 is supported or not(should have 2 DDR3 memory modules and 2 DDR2 modules), but AFAIK DDR2 400Mhz are far beyond frequency from DDR3 which runs at 1333Mhz and most of the motherboards I assembled which support DDR2 400Mhz will only support frequencies up to DDR2 667Mhz.

So I think you should return your memory modules or get another ones based on your motherboard's specs.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Victor Padro wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>

>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> I am building a new computer. It's a Gigabyte motherboard and calls
>>> for DDR2 400 ram. I could not find the DDR2 available and bought 4 GB of
>>> DDR3 ram. I did some Google checking and it appears DDR2 wants 1.8 volts
>>> and DDR3 wants 1.5 volts.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if 1.8 volts will harm a DDR3 ram? I have not
>>> looked to see if I can drop the the voltage from the BIOS. Has anyone
>>> had luck with this?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> I don't think DDR3 RAM will fit into a DDR2 slot, IIRC. And the power
>> requirements were the reason for that change.
>>
>> If I am not mistaken.
>>

>> --
>> Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
>> quadraturae circuli
>>
>> Mark Haney
>> Sr. Systems Administrator
>> ERC Broadband
>> (828) 350-2415
>>
>> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>>
>> --
>>

> Have you checked the manufacturer's website? Perhaps look up for the
> Motherboard specs?
> It will tell you if DDR3 is supported or not(should have 2 DDR3 memory
> modules and 2 DDR2 modules), but AFAIK DDR2 400Mhz are far beyond frequency
> from DDR3 which runs at 1333Mhz and most of the motherboards I assembled
> which support DDR2 400Mhz will only support frequencies up to DDR2 667Mhz.
>
> So I think you should return your memory modules or get another ones based
> on your motherboard's specs.

Your right. I have asked to cancel the order. And I found some DDR2
400 which are what the motherboard book calls for and they are cheaper too.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User