Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Patton Echols

Default XP over LTSP

Preston, thank you for your insights. I think it is time for me to
start experimenting.

I have altered the subject to indicate that what is below narrows the
focus quite a bit. Hopefully I won't get flamed for hijacking :-)

On 02/10/2009 09:34 AM, Preston Kutzner wrote:
> [...]
<SNIP>

>>> In light of that, adding a Windows Server (running Terminal Services
>>> or Citrix) in a VM on the same server would be very taxing.
>>>
>> Oh . . . Not what I thought. I had thought I had read somewhere that
>> you could have a VM that delivered an XP desktop without the necessity
>> of running Windows server. Not so? This part of the project is
>> purely
>> hobbyist stuff and not worth the expense of licensing windows
>> server/terminal services
>>

> This may be possible, but I personally haven't heard of it. It would
> be interesting if this were indeed possible.

So Here is the new question: I can load XP into a virtual machine on my
desktop. Lots of threads about how to do it. Can I load XP into a VM
on an LTSP server?

The client then load's the Ubuntu desktop in the normal way, which
immediatly initiates the VM and starts a windows session.

NOTE: The question is NOT about whether I MAY do that from a license
perspective. I know that is an issue that must be addressed seriously
and properly. The question IS about whether it is technically possible.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Patton

Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]
> So Here is the new question: I can load XP into a virtual machine on my
> desktop. Lots of threads about how to do it. Can I load XP into a VM
> on an LTSP server?
>
> The client then load's the Ubuntu desktop in the normal way, which
> immediatly initiates the VM and starts a windows session.
>
> NOTE: The question is NOT about whether I MAY do that from a license
> perspective. I know that is an issue that must be addressed seriously
> and properly. The question IS about whether it is technically possible.

Never tried it, but I've messed w/LTSP for years and don't see any
reason it won't work.

Chris

Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Christopher Chan

> So Here is the new question: I can load XP into a virtual machine on my
> desktop. Lots of threads about how to do it. Can I load XP into a VM
> on an LTSP server?

Sure.

> The client then load's the Ubuntu desktop in the normal way, which
> immediatly initiates the VM and starts a windows session.

Hmm...why? The XP guest can be started on bootup and you won't have to
mess with logon scripts. All you would need would be a
rdesktop/virt-viewer launcher/desktop icon. Libvirt0 can handle the
automatic start and stop of the XP guest for you.

> NOTE: The question is NOT about whether I MAY do that from a license
> perspective. I know that is an issue that must be addressed seriously
> and properly. The question IS about whether it is technically possible.

Sure. I have a XP Professional guest that can handle 3 remote desktop
sessions. Using remote desktop sure beats using vncviewer.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Arthur Johnson

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

> So Here is the new question: *I can load XP into a virtual machine on my

> desktop. *Lots of threads about how to do it. *Can I load XP into a VM

> on an LTSP server?

> The client then load's the Ubuntu desktop in the normal way, which

> immediatly initiates the VM and starts a windows session.

> NOTE: *The question is NOT about whether I MAY do that from a license

> perspective. *I know that is an issue that must be addressed seriously

> and properly. *The question IS about whether it is technically possible.

Never tried it, but I've messed w/LTSP for years and don't see any

reason it won't work.

Chris

Yes.* Get XP up, and when LTSP boots, have it run

rdesktop -f hostname_of_xp

Instead of X.* I don't have the exact details where to put it, but it should work.* However, having it connect to XP would only work for one host per login (I could be wrong).* To do multiple, you will need to set up a terminal server.

*

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Arthur Johnson

Sure. I have a XP Professional guest that can handle 3 remote desktop

sessions. Using remote desktop sure beats using vncviewer.
And I was wrong!* Wow, 3 rdesktop sessions.* I'll have to remember that.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Christopher Chan

> Instead of X. I don't have the exact details where to put it, but it
> should work. However, having it connect to XP would only work for one
> host per login (I could be wrong). To do multiple, you will need to set
> up a terminal server.

Older versions of XP Pro allowed more than one login.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Christopher Chan

Arthur Johnson wrote:

> Sure. I have a XP Professional guest that can handle 3 remote desktop
> sessions. Using remote desktop sure beats using vncviewer.
>

> And I was wrong! Wow, 3 rdesktop sessions. I'll have to remember that.

I believe it was more with earlier versions of XP Pro...with SP2 or SP3
you have to hack up termsrv.dll and a couple of registry/group policy
changes.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Rashkae

Patton Echols wrote:

> So Here is the new question: I can load XP into a virtual machine on my
> desktop. Lots of threads about how to do it. Can I load XP into a VM
> on an LTSP server?
>
> The client then load's the Ubuntu desktop in the normal way, which
> immediatly initiates the VM and starts a windows session.

Yes, yes you can. Indeed, I do something almost identical here,
(although, I don't actually use LTSP, but I do have a remote X terminal
that I connect to my main computer, which also runs Windows XP in a
virtual machine to run some legacy database app.)

The only caveat is, I had ran into some difficulties trying to install
Windows in the VM over the client,, I had to do the install at the server.

I would also install vnc server on the Windows in the virtual machine,
that way, you would have two methods of connecting to it. A vmware
client as well as vlc/remote desktop apps.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Rashkae

Arthur Johnson wrote:
>> Sure. I have a XP Professional guest that can handle 3 remote desktop
>> sessions. Using remote desktop sure beats using vncviewer.
>

> And I was wrong! Wow, 3 rdesktop sessions. I'll have to remember that.

I knew that was too good to be true, (sorta).. There's a bit of a hack
involved.

http://www.golod.com/2005/10/enabling-multiple-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows-xp-professional-and-media-center-edition-2005/

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 AM
Christopher Chan

Rashkae wrote:
> Arthur Johnson wrote:
>>> Sure. I have a XP Professional guest that can handle 3 remote desktop
>>> sessions. Using remote desktop sure beats using vncviewer.
>>
>> And I was wrong! Wow, 3 rdesktop sessions. I'll have to remember that.
>>

> I knew that was too good to be true, (sorta).. There's a bit of a hack
> involved.

Not really...a real hack will be getting Windows installed remotely and
replacing the termsrv.dll while we are at it in the image so that once
it's done...you already have three remote connections enabled.

> http://www.golod.com/2005/10/enabling-multiple-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows-xp-professional-and-media-center-edition-2005/

I cannot remember which guide I followed. I already have a kvm image
with the multiple rdp sessions enabled to pass around to all the boxes
over here.