Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Chris Mohler

Default setting up HP 4050 with network adapter

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Mohler wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 20090210 1332 GMT-5
>>>
>>> It took two weeks but I have my network adapter for the HP and its
>>> installed. I went to System > Printers and deleted the old printer setup
>>> to install a new one but Im not sure how to give the HP a IP. Its
>>> connected to my router as is my pc but its not asking for an address.
>>
>> Are you sure it's not getting an IP via DHCP? Try 'sudo netmap -A
>> 192.168.0.*' (or whatever your LAN is).
>>
>> If not, you may have to look at the HP docs to see what the default IP
>> is. Is there anything in the printer's (physical LCD) menu that has
>> to deal with the network settings? I have a vague memory of something
>> like that on a 4000N...
>>
>> Chris
>>

> 20090210 1445 GMT-5
>
> Ah, it just took a few times starting the printer before it got an IP.
>
> Ok. I went to setup the printer. The options are
> AppSocket / HP JetDirect
> ipp
> or in cups there is also http
>
> Im guessing I choose JetDirect?

If memory serves, yes. If not, it's probably ipp. You can try
running nmap against the printer IP to see open ports, or telnet to
the IP on jetdirect (900-something?) or ipp (631) and see if there is
a response.

Chris

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Wade Smart

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris Mohler wrote:

>>> Are you sure it's not getting an IP via DHCP? Try 'sudo netmap -A
>>> 192.168.0.*' (or whatever your LAN is).
>>>
>>> If not, you may have to look at the HP docs to see what the default IP
>>> is. Is there anything in the printer's (physical LCD) menu that has
>>> to deal with the network settings? I have a vague memory of something
>>> like that on a 4000N...
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> 20090210 1445 GMT-5
>>
>> Ah, it just took a few times starting the printer before it got an IP.
>>
>> Ok. I went to setup the printer. The options are
>> AppSocket / HP JetDirect
>> ipp
>> or in cups there is also http
>>
>> Im guessing I choose JetDirect?
>
> If memory serves, yes. If not, it's probably ipp. You can try
> running nmap against the printer IP to see open ports, or telnet to
> the IP on jetdirect (900-something?) or ipp (631) and see if there is
> a response.
>
> Chris

20090210 1507 GMT-5

I printed a configuration page from the printer and it shows
Host Name: PAL5U006
Config by: dhcp
ip 192.168.0.3
def gateway is 162.168.1.1

Now, I put in IP addr in under JetDirect and it came up with port 9100
but it cant find the pc. I had to allow the service in Firestarter for
that IP but its using port 50285, 55603 and 46679.

I installed nmap and this is the result:
wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ nmap 192.168.0.3

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-02-10 15:00 CST
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 2.061 seconds

wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ nmap 192.168.0.3
Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-02-10 15:06 CST
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 2.058 seconds

wadesmart@wadesmart:~$ nmap 192.168.0.3 -PN
Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2009-02-10 15:06 CST
All 1714 scanned ports on 192.168.0.3 are filtered

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 345.225 seconds
wadesmart@wadesmart:~$

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I printed a configuration page from the printer and it shows
> Host Name: PAL5U006
> Config by: dhcp
> ip 192.168.0.3
> def gateway is 162.168.1.1

Is that a typo on the gateway?

What is the LAN IP of your PC? Is it 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x?

IIRC, it should respond to pings...

Chris

Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Wade Smart

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I printed a configuration page from the printer and it shows
>> Host Name: PAL5U006
>> Config by: dhcp
>> ip 192.168.0.3
>> def gateway is 162.168.1.1
>
> Is that a typo on the gateway?
>
> What is the LAN IP of your PC? Is it 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x?
>
> IIRC, it should respond to pings...
>
> Chris

20090210 1538 GMT-5

Sorry: 192.168.1.1

Using Network Tools, Ping - no pints returned.

Wade

Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Wade Smart

Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
"Mark Haney"

Wade Smart wrote:
> Chris Mohler wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I printed a configuration page from the printer and it shows
>>> Host Name: PAL5U006
>>> Config by: dhcp
>>> ip 192.168.0.3
>>> def gateway is 162.168.1.1
>> Is that a typo on the gateway?
>>
>> What is the LAN IP of your PC? Is it 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x?
>>
>> IIRC, it should respond to pings...
>>
>> Chris
>>

> 20090210 1538 GMT-5
>
> Sorry: 192.168.1.1
>
> Using Network Tools, Ping - no pints returned.
>
> Wade

There's NOTHING worse than not getting your pints returned.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Wade Smart

Wade Smart wrote:
> Chris Mohler wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I printed a configuration page from the printer and it shows
>>> Host Name: PAL5U006
>>> Config by: dhcp
>>> ip 192.168.0.3
>>> def gateway is 162.168.1.1
>>
>> Is that a typo on the gateway?
>>
>> What is the LAN IP of your PC? Is it 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x?
>>
>> IIRC, it should respond to pings...
>>
>> Chris
>>

> 20090210 1538 GMT-5
>
> Sorry: 192.168.1.1
>
> Using Network Tools, Ping - no pints returned.
>
> Wade

20090210 1547 GMT-5

I tired hp-probe and choose number 1 (network/Ethernet)
and it immediately responds:

error: Unable to send broadcast SLP packet: (1, 'Operation not
permitted') warning: No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't
the result you are expecting,

warning: check your network connections and make sure your internet
warning: firewall software is disabled.

I looked at Firestarter and unchecked all the filters - didnt seem to help.

Wade

Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Chris Mohler wrote:
>>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Is that a typo on the gateway?
>>>
>>> What is the LAN IP of your PC? Is it 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x?
>>>
>>> IIRC, it should respond to pings...
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>> 20090210 1538 GMT-5
>>
>> Sorry: 192.168.1.1
>>
>> Using Network Tools, Ping - no pints returned.
>>
>> Wade
>
> 20090210 1547 GMT-5
>
> I tired hp-probe and choose number 1 (network/Ethernet)
> and it immediately responds:
>
> error: Unable to send broadcast SLP packet: (1, 'Operation not
> permitted') warning: No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't
> the result you are expecting,

Did you run it via sudo?

Chris

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Wade Smart

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:

>>> 20090210 1538 GMT-5
>>>
>>> Sorry: 192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> Using Network Tools, Ping - no pints returned.
>>>
>>> Wade
>> 20090210 1547 GMT-5
>>
>> I tired hp-probe and choose number 1 (network/Ethernet)
>> and it immediately responds:
>>
>> error: Unable to send broadcast SLP packet: (1, 'Operation not
>> permitted') warning: No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't
>> the result you are expecting,
>
> Did you run it via sudo?
>
> Chris

20090210 1623 GMT-5

Yes. Same result.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
"Mark Haney"

Wade Smart wrote:

>> Chris
>>

> 20090210 1623 GMT-5
>
> Yes. Same result.

I'm really late getting into this thread, but I do have a similar model
HP. Can one of you distill down the basics for me and get me up to
speed so I can be of service?