Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Jean Dewald

Default Places Menu

Hello,

After years of Windows (and totally disgusted by Vista), I recently
switched to Ubuntu 8.10.

I shouldn't say the conversion was without problems, but I feel much
more confortable in Ubuntu environment.

For the moment I bother about 2 problems (please don't laugh, they are
probably stupid):

1) Suddenly, in the Places menu, the 3 first items (Home Folder,Desktop,
Bookmarks) started the gtkpod program.
I could delete the reference "open with gtkpod" but of course now I got
the error "Could not open the location file:///home/...
No application is registered as handling the file"

Some suggestion?
Why this sudden change?

2) I use the European date format dd/mm/yy.
After a couple of hours searching I still didn't find where to select
that format?

Thanks for help

Jean

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Jean

Welcome to Ubuntu and Linux!

About one question, I can say something useful.

2) I use the European date format dd/mm/yy.

After a couple of hours searching I still didn't find where to select

that format?

Look for a (sub)menu: 'system settings' or something similar. Then, click at 'date and time settings' - than look for some city near you in order to click at the right time zone, than click at 'apply.

Stay in the 'system settings' menu, but go now to 'regional and language'. From there, go to the tab 'time and date'. There you can choose the European date format you are looking for. Elsewhere in 'regional and language', you can carry out other local adaptations of the system - like the Euro currency symbol if you live in a Euro zone country.

I hope this helps.

Sometimes, you need to give in your 'root' password in order to carry out such changes. This is usually the same as your system password.

Respectfully yours,

Bas,

*

Thanks for help

Jean

===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT *Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Jean Dewald

Hello Bas,

In System - Administration - Time and Date Setting, I already set the
Time zone to " Europe/Brussels"
But I can't find some 'regional and language' tab!
And that seems me to be connected with my question 1)...

In Evolution - Edit - Preferences, there is some Time zone adjustment.
But it pointed already to Europe/Brussels.

Have I to re-install Ubuntu? (if possible)

Another suggestion?

Anyway thanks for the effort.

Regards

Jean

Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Jean Dewald <jean.dewald@qipsgroup.be> wrote:
> In System - Administration - Time and Date Setting, I already set the
> Time zone to " Europe/Brussels"
> But I can't find some 'regional and language' tab!
> And that seems me to be connected with my question 1)...
>
> In Evolution - Edit - Preferences, there is some Time zone adjustment.
> But it pointed already to Europe/Brussels.

It's in /etc/environment.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables#Locale%20setting%20variables

For example:
LC_TIME=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=nl_NL.UTF-8

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello Jean

Here Bas again. It might be important to know that I am not using
'Ubuntu 8.10', but 'Kubuntu 8.10': a graphical variant of the same
Ubuntu system. So, roughly important things are the same. Especially
the 'engine' is the same. But there might be some little differences
from the point of view of names and graphical presentation, compared
to the 'Ubuntu' system you are using. Please, keep this in mind when
reading the message below.

> In System - Administration - Time and Date Setting, I already set the
> Time zone to " Europe/Brussels"

Perfect : -)!

> But I can't find some 'regional and language' tab!

May be I was not clear enough in my previous message.
> In Evolution - Edit - Preferences, there is some Time zone adjustment.
> But it pointed already to Europe/Brussels.

I have talked about two DIFFERENT main options within 'system
settings' (or: 'system').
One main option is indeed the one you already found via a slightly
different way:: SYSTEM (settings) > Computer administration > 'Date
and time'.
A second main option is the one you still need to find: SYSTEM
(settings) > personal > Regional and language.
May be 'regional and language' has a slightly different name in the
GNOME edition of Ubuntu you are working with.
However it may be, it is the main option via which you can regulate
key board settings and related issues.

> Have I to re-install Ubuntu? (if possible)

I don't think, this is necessary.

> Another suggestion?

See above.

> Anyway thanks for the effort.

With pleasure.

Bas.

> Regards
>
> Jean
>

> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 00:18 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:
>> Hello Jean
>>
>> Welcome to Ubuntu and Linux!
>>
>> About one question, I can say something useful.
>>

>> 2) I use the European date format dd/mm/yy.
>> After a couple of hours searching I still didn't find where to
>> select
>> that format?
>>

>> Look for a (sub)menu: 'system settings' or something similar. Then,
>> click at 'date and time settings' - than look for some city near you
>> in order to click at the right time zone, than click at 'apply.
>> Stay in the 'system settings' menu, but go now to 'regional and
>> language'. From there, go to the tab 'time and date'. There you can
>> choose the European date format you are looking for. Elsewhere in
>> 'regional and language', you can carry out other local adaptations of
>> the system - like the Euro currency symbol if you live in a Euro zone
>> country.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Sometimes, you need to give in your 'root' password in order to carry
>> out such changes. This is usually the same as your system password.
>>
>> Respectfully yours,
>>
>> Bas,
>>

>> Thanks for help
>>
>> Jean
>>

>> --
>>

>> --
>> ===============
>> Viaconsensus
>> Bas G. Roufs M.A.
>> Van 't Hoffstraat 1
>> NL-3514 VT Utrecht
>> M. +31.6.446.835.10
>> T. +31.30.785.20.40
>> BasRoufs@gmail.com

===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40
BasRoufs@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
NoOp

On 02/10/2009 12:22 PM, Jean Dewald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After years of Windows (and totally disgusted by Vista), I recently
> switched to Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> I shouldn't say the conversion was without problems, but I feel much
> more confortable in Ubuntu environment.
>
> For the moment I bother about 2 problems (please don't laugh, they are
> probably stupid):
>
> 1) Suddenly, in the Places menu, the 3 first items (Home Folder,Desktop,
> Bookmarks) started the gtkpod program.
> I could delete the reference "open with gtkpod" but of course now I got
> the error "Could not open the location file:///home/...
> No application is registered as handling the file"
>
> Some suggestion?
> Why this sudden change?

It appears that it _may_ be related to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492
[opening a directory using an application change associations incorrectly]

Can you please open a terminal (Applications|Terminal) and see if you
have a mimeapps.list file? From the terminal, enter the following commands:

sudo updatedb
locate mimeapps.list

The last command should return something like:

/home/<yourusername>/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

If it does, can you post the output of this command?

cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

If not (no mimeapps.list), then you may try to reinstall nautilus (that
is the app the 'Places' calls):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall nautilus nautilus-data

[Note: answer 'y' when it prompts "Do you want to continue"]

And see if that works for you. Note:

> 2) I use the European date format dd/mm/yy.
> After a couple of hours searching I still didn't find where to select
> that format?

Please (again from a terminal) post the output of:

locale

You may also find these links well worth a read:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Applications
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocaleConf
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/update-locale-config.8.html>

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Jean Dewald

Hi Bas,

Sorry, but I really could not find the second option to set the locale,
you were talking about. ( It took me an other hour!)

So I followed the path Fajar explained, to add some locales in the
environment file.

Anyway, I can't imagine this is the normal way of Ubuntu to select
regional locales!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jean

Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Jean Dewald

Hello Fajar,

Thanks a lot for your help!

As you suggested, I changed the locales in the environment file.
(As newbe in Ubuntu, it took me a while to find out how to save the
modifications...
I suppose this is, the toll I have to pay for learning a bit of the
system.)
But now it run as I wish!!

Anyway, I can't imagine this is the way the designers of UBUNTU had
designed to manage the locales: explain that to a grandfather?

So, that part of the question can be closed!

Thanks a lot again.

Jean

Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Jean Dewald

Hello,

mimeapps exists! I got following answer:

jean@QIPSG01:~$ locate mimeapps.list
/home/jean/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

jean@QIPSG01:~$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

[Added Associations]
x-content/image-dcf=f-spot-import.desktop;gnome-appearance-properties.desktop;banshee-1.desktop;
application/octet-stream=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
application/x-extension-volume=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
audio/x-wav=totem.desktop;
inode/directory=
image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;

[Removed Associations]
audio/x-wav=brasero-open-project.desktop;userapp-aplaymidi-0FOGOU.desktop;userapp-acpi_listen-ZR6OOU.desktop;ooo-template.desktop;totem-gstreamer.desktop;rhythmbox.desktop;userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;evince.desktop;nautilus-autorun-software.desktop;
inode/directory=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;kde4-cervisia.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;

Is that any help?

Anyway thanks for your time!

Jean

Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM
NoOp

On 02/12/2009 01:22 AM, Jean Dewald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> mimeapps exists! I got following answer:
>
> jean@QIPSG01:~$ locate mimeapps.list
> /home/jean/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> jean@QIPSG01:~$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
>
> [Added Associations]
> x-content/image-dcf=f-spot-import.desktop;gnome-appearance-properties.desktop;banshee-1.desktop;
> application/octet-stream=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
> application/x-extension-volume=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;
> audio/x-wav=totem.desktop;
> inode/directory=
> image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;
>
> [Removed Associations]
> audio/x-wav=brasero-open-project.desktop;userapp-aplaymidi-0FOGOU.desktop;userapp-acpi_listen-ZR6OOU.desktop;ooo-template.desktop;totem-gstreamer.desktop;rhythmbox.desktop;userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;evince.desktop;nautilus-autorun-software.desktop;
> inode/directory=userapp-gtkpod-JA7JOU.desktop;kde4-cervisia.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
>
> Is that any help?

Yes it does. (Please bottom post on this list:

OK. It appears that the inode/directory is being modified in your
mimeapps.list list those in the
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492 bug report.

So... welcome to Ubuntu/linux where we all get to participate in bug
troubleshooting :-) Have a read all the way through 260492. You're not
expected to understand everything at this point (I don't), but it will
give you some idea of what is happening on your system & possible ways
to fix/work around it. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/290028 has
a nice single explaination of what is happening.

If you compare the inode sections in the 'Added Associations' and the
'Removed Associations' from your file you'll see that
"nautilus-folder-handler.desktop" was removed. If you read the bug
report, you'll see that this is the main problem. The temporary fix is
to remove the inode line in the file. You can do this by editing
directly; open a terminal:

gedit gedit .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

then delete this line:

inode/directory=
image/jpeg=eog.desktop;gimp.desktop;

save the file and close gedit. Now try 'Places|Home Folder' and see if
that works.
Even if it does (I suspect that it will), there is still the issue of
why it happened in the first place. Only reading & joining in on bug
260492 will help resolve it. That bug talks about this issue occuring
after upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10; however in your case it was from a
fresh install, so the problem still exists. If you'd like to help out,
you can register (top right corner) and add a comment regarding your
mimeapps.list.