FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default Desktop icons

I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a
preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be
found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?

Turns out turning your cube totally transparent also makes desktop icons
transparent, but not inactive :-)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default Desktop icons

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 10:29 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a
> preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be
> found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?

gconf-editor -> apps -> nautilus


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default Desktop icons

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a
> preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be
> found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?
>
> Turns out turning your cube totally transparent also makes desktop icons
> transparent, but not inactive :-)

Unless I missed a reply, no one knows how to do this? Or it's not an
option in the default Ubuntu install?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
"Dake K. Odzangba"
 
Default Desktop icons

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 13:58:05 Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> > I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a

> > preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be

> > found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?

> >

> > Turns out turning your cube totally transparent also makes desktop icons

> > transparent, but not inactive :-)

>

> Unless I missed a reply, no one knows how to do this? Or it's not an

> option in the default Ubuntu install?



You did miss a reply:



On Tuesday 10 February 2009 18:42:24 Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 10:29 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> > I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a

> > preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be

> > found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?

>

> gconf-editor -> apps -> nautilus



IOW, do Alt + F2 and type gconf-editor (you can access it from the System Tools menu but that is usually diabled by default. Use the menu editor to enable it for future use.) Then navigate to:



apps -> nautilus -> desktop



And uncheck the volumes_visible option. There are options to remove other icons like the trash, home, etc., icons. Good luck.



--

Odzangba,

Blog: http://odzangba.wordpress.com

Registered Linux User #431909

Registered Linux Machines: #337242 #363374 #392526
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default Desktop icons

Dake K. Odzangba wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 13:58:05 Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>> I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I was wondering where a
>>> preference is to not display disk/disc volumes on the desktop can be
>>> found in GNOME (default Ubuntu with compiz active)?
>>>
>>> Turns out turning your cube totally transparent also makes desktop icons
>>> transparent, but not inactive :-)
>> Unless I missed a reply, no one knows how to do this? Or it's not a
>> option in the default Ubuntu install?
>
> You did miss a reply:
<cut>

Thanks! I thought I might have missed something! (Thanks Mario).

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org