Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 AM
"Senectus ."

Default Tool for modifying boot order?

What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot system?
--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.10
The ancients who wished to demonstrate illustrious virtue throughout the empire first ordered well their own states.

Wishing to order their own states, they first regulated their families. Wishing to regulate their families, they first cultivated their persons.
Wishing to cultivate their persons they first rectified their hearts. Wishing to rectify their hearts, they first sought to be sincere in their thoughts.

Wishing to be sincere in their thoughts, they first extended to the utmost their knowledge. Such extension of knowledge lay in the investigation of things - Confucius

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Avi Greenbury

Senectus . wrote:
> What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot
> system?

What do you mean by 'modifying the boot order'?

Grub's menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst) has a 'default' variable. Set this
to the line you want to be the default to boot (first line is 0).
There's also a related 'timeout' one, which defines how long grub waits
before booting the default selection. 0 is no timeout.

In the same file, you can move the stanzas defining the OS's about to
change the order if you want.

If you mean which disks are booted from in which order, that's a BIOS
setting.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Senectus . wrote:
> What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot
> system?
> --
> Ubuntu Hardy 8.10

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst - instructions aboard.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
São Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
skype: lmnicolosi1

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
"Dake K. Odzangba"

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 11:18:18 Senectus . wrote:

> What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot

> system?

sudo aptitude install startupmanager

--

Odzangba,

Blog: http://odzangba.wordpress.com

Registered Linux User #431909

Registered Linux Machines: #337242 #363374 #392526

Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:18:18 +0900
"Senectus ." <senectus@gmail.com> wrote:

> What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot
> system?

Just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and re-order the menu items to suit your
liking, easy !

But you must know that Senectus, you are hardly a newbee by now (unless
there are more than one "Senectus" on this list) ! ;-)

--
Vince

Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
"Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT)"

What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot
system?

*

Edit the grub menu.lst
file to suit and then run an update-grub (which has to be executed as root so
either su to root or sudo it)

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 PM
"Senectus ."

2009/2/10 Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez@modulonet.fr>

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:18:18 +0900

"Senectus ." <senectus@gmail.com> wrote:

> What can someone recommend for modifying the boot order on a dual boot

> system?

Just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and re-order the menu items to suit your

liking, easy !

But you must know that Senectus, you are hardly a newbee by now (unless

there are more than one "Senectus" on this list) ! ;-)

Much like a potato couch.. I'm a bit out of shape...
I have vague memories of these things but what I really wanted was a simple gui tool to plugin and use ;-)

I've used startupmanager it seems to fit the bill !