Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 AM
steve

Default nvidia 8200 chipset

Hi,

is anyone familiar with msi k9n2gm board with nvidia 8200 chipset? Just
built a new mythbox with this, and Ive had better luck and performance
with an athlon xp and a 5200 card. (bought most everything from newegg,
and believe it or not had excellent linux reviews the only reason i
chose it) sad, because this box should be smokin fast, 3.2 ghz athlon
x2, and 4 gig ram but I cant get any accelerated driver to work
properly, theres 3 that show up in hardware drivers 173 180 and some
other one. All I get is a garbled screen on all, have to kill gdm,
change nvidia to nv in xorg to get x back again, but only 640x480 on my
42" lcd, looks ridiculous.

using 8.10, which may be my first mistake, all other machines are 8.04
and run without a hiccup...anyone have this 8200 chipset on 8.10? and
what driver do you use? an older one?

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone familiar with msi k9n2gm board with nvidia 8200 chipset? Just
> built a new mythbox with this, and Ive had better luck and performance
> with an athlon xp and a 5200 card. (bought most everything from newegg,
> and believe it or not had excellent linux reviews the only reason i
> chose it) sad, because this box should be smokin fast, 3.2 ghz athlon
> x2, and 4 gig ram but I cant get any accelerated driver to work
> properly, theres 3 that show up in hardware drivers 173 180 and some
> other one. All I get is a garbled screen on all, have to kill gdm,
> change nvidia to nv in xorg to get x back again, but only 640x480 on my
> 42" lcd, looks ridiculous.
>
> using 8.10, which may be my first mistake, all other machines are 8.04
> and run without a hiccup...anyone have this 8200 chipset on 8.10? and
> what driver do you use? an older one?

I'm running 8.10 on a NVidia 8200 chipset "gamer" board (XFX - GeForce
8200).

At first had problems to recognize HD drives because the 8200 chipset is
new and still not supported. It took a couple of days, almost gave up
and changed the board, but finally installed Ubuntu and found out that
the inexpensive board works very well, it is indeed fast, specially if
you enable AHCI instead of SATA before installation. You might have some
problems with audio but this can also be managed.

Regarding video config, I first installed the recommended driver from
Synaptic (177 works for me, 180 probably but haven't tested yet) and
then activated it at System/Adm/Hardw Drv.
Later upgraded to 177.82 at NVidia.

Remember to install NVidia X Server Settings for managing.

There are newer versions of the drivers at the NVidia site, they should
be installed after GDM is closed. A lot of info about this can be found
at the NVidia site.

I have 8.10 AMD64 and 8.04 i386 partitions but I'm running mostly with
the original installation (8.10 i386).

Regards,

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
São Paulo - Brazil

email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com
skype: lmnicolosi1

Linux Registered User #481505
http://counter.li.org/

Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
steve

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is anyone familiar with msi k9n2gm board with nvidia 8200 chipset? Just
>> built a new mythbox with this, and Ive had better luck and performance
>> with an athlon xp and a 5200 card. (bought most everything from newegg,
>> and believe it or not had excellent linux reviews the only reason i
>> chose it) sad, because this box should be smokin fast, 3.2 ghz athlon
>> x2, and 4 gig ram but I cant get any accelerated driver to work
>> properly, theres 3 that show up in hardware drivers 173 180 and some
>> other one. All I get is a garbled screen on all, have to kill gdm,
>> change nvidia to nv in xorg to get x back again, but only 640x480 on my
>> 42" lcd, looks ridiculous.
>>
>> using 8.10, which may be my first mistake, all other machines are 8.04
>> and run without a hiccup...anyone have this 8200 chipset on 8.10? and
>> what driver do you use? an older one?
>
> I'm running 8.10 on a NVidia 8200 chipset "gamer" board (XFX - GeForce
> 8200).
>
> At first had problems to recognize HD drives because the 8200 chipset is
> new and still not supported. It took a couple of days, almost gave up
> and changed the board, but finally installed Ubuntu and found out that
> the inexpensive board works very well, it is indeed fast, specially if
> you enable AHCI instead of SATA before installation. You might have some
> problems with audio but this can also be managed.
>
> Regarding video config, I first installed the recommended driver from
> Synaptic (177 works for me, 180 probably but haven't tested yet) and
> then activated it at System/Adm/Hardw Drv.
> Later upgraded to 177.82 at NVidia.
>
> Remember to install NVidia X Server Settings for managing.
>
> There are newer versions of the drivers at the NVidia site, they should
> be installed after GDM is closed. A lot of info about this can be found
> at the NVidia site.
>
> I have 8.10 AMD64 and 8.04 i386 partitions but I'm running mostly with
> the original installation (8.10 i386).
>
> Regards,
>
> L.

Hi, thanks for the info. I gave up last night, going to give it another
go later today after work. I mainly used restricted through ubuntu for
the nvidia driver, but went out to nvidia and downloaded the latest
180.something, but that was the worst one. completely garbled screen.
been a long time since ive had x problems, ill admit, this is throwing
me for a loop.... go figure...... new hardware...

Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone familiar with msi k9n2gm board with nvidia 8200 chipset?
If the chipset is 8200 it must be a very new one. If the ones at
hardware drivers do not work then you need to goto the nvidia webpage.
They should have a Linux driver set for your chipset. It d/l as a bash
file and you run it with a ./ before the name.

Karl

> Just
> built a new mythbox with this, and Ive had better luck and performance
> with an athlon xp and a 5200 card. (bought most everything from newegg,
> and believe it or not had excellent linux reviews the only reason i
> chose it) sad, because this box should be smokin fast, 3.2 ghz athlon
> x2, and 4 gig ram but I cant get any accelerated driver to work
> properly, theres 3 that show up in hardware drivers 173 180 and some
> other one. All I get is a garbled screen on all, have to kill gdm,
> change nvidia to nv in xorg to get x back again, but only 640x480 on my
> 42" lcd, looks ridiculous.
>
> using 8.10, which may be my first mistake, all other machines are 8.04
> and run without a hiccup...anyone have this 8200 chipset on 8.10? and
> what driver do you use? an older one?

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM
steve

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>> is anyone familiar with msi k9n2gm board with nvidia 8200 chipset?
> If the chipset is 8200 it must be a very new one. If the ones at
> hardware drivers do not work then you need to goto the nvidia webpage.
> They should have a Linux driver set for your chipset. It d/l as a bash
> file and you run it with a ./ before the name.
>
> Karl

yeah i tried the new 180 driver from the nvidia site, that was the worst
out of all of them. i dont know i was expecting more of a response back
from others, i see your the only one who wrote back. im going to just
throw the 5200fx card back in, that worked fine, and used xvmc to boot.
guess the hdmi will have to wait for a bit til this chipset is
supported better.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

steve wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>>> is anyone familiar with msi k9n2gm board with nvidia 8200 chipset?
>>>
>> If the chipset is 8200 it must be a very new one. If the ones at
>> hardware drivers do not work then you need to goto the nvidia webpage.
>> They should have a Linux driver set for your chipset. It d/l as a bash
>> file and you run it with a ./ before the name.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> yeah i tried the new 180 driver from the nvidia site, that was the worst
> out of all of them. i dont know i was expecting more of a response back
> from others, i see your the only one who wrote back. im going to just
> throw the 5200fx card back in, that worked fine, and used xvmc to boot.
> guess the hdmi will have to wait for a bit til this chipset is
> supported better.

I am surprised. I thought you would get a new set of drivers. But
maybe they do the Linux AFTER they get the Windows working...

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
steve

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> steve wrote:

>>> If the chipset is 8200 it must be a very new one. If the ones at
>>> hardware drivers do not work then you need to goto the nvidia webpage.
>>> They should have a Linux driver set for your chipset. It d/l as a bash
>>> file and you run it with a ./ before the name.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>> yeah i tried the new 180 driver from the nvidia site, that was the worst
>> out of all of them. i dont know i was expecting more of a response back
>> from others, i see your the only one who wrote back. im going to just
>> throw the 5200fx card back in, that worked fine, and used xvmc to boot.
>> guess the hdmi will have to wait for a bit til this chipset is
>> supported better.
>>

> I am surprised. I thought you would get a new set of drivers. But
> maybe they do the Linux AFTER they get the Windows working...
>
> Karl

yeah i dont know, i bit the bullet, and am trying a 8.04 install on a
small partition, i screwed up the 8.10 install so much, i dont even know
where to start to fix it even IF the drivers worked lol. if that doesnt
do the trick, im putting the 5200 card back in and use that.