Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Firefox lock file?

Hello,

I recently changed my swap file to a larger one, but forgot to add the
change to fstab. Over the next few boots, memory filled up in about five
minutes, and my computer became unresponsive. I was trying to access the
Ubuntu swap faq page in my browser to find out how to turn the swap back
on, but couldn't get there fast enough.

I had to shut down with the power button, as even switching to tty1 with
CTRL-ALT-F1 left me with no response from the computer, due to memory
being full, and constant disc activity going on. I finally managed to
turn the swap file back on by immediately starting terminal after
startup, and using the man files to educate myself.

All is well again with swap, but I cannot start Firefox as it complains
each time that it is already running, which it is not. I have searched
the drive in vain for a lock file for Firefox, deleting everything I
found in the tmp folders, but have had no luck.

Does anyone know where Firefox hides it's lock file?

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 13:47 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:

> Does anyone know where Firefox hides it's lock file?

Should be in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/lock

where <profile> is the unique Firefox generated profile string.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Ray Parrish

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 13:47 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know where Firefox hides it's lock file?
>>

> Should be in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/lock
>
> where <profile> is the unique Firefox generated profile string.

Well, there was nothing there, however there was an extra profile folder
with a lock symbol on it. I removed that and Firefox still refuses to start.

Anyone else?

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 18:00 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 13:47 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> >

> >> Does anyone know where Firefox hides it's lock file?
> >>

> > Should be in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/lock
> >
> > where <profile> is the unique Firefox generated profile string.
> >
> Well, there was nothing there, however there was an extra profile folder
> with a lock symbol on it. I removed that and Firefox still refuses to start.

One thing I have done in the past when Firefox gets confused is to start
it in a terminal and see if there are any error messages that point to
the problem. I have also moved the existing profile to another
directory and let Firefox create a new profile and then restore the
books marks, saved passwords, etc to the new profile.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Ray Parrish

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 18:00 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

>>> Should be in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/lock
>>>
>>> where <profile> is the unique Firefox generated profile string.
>>>

>> Well, there was nothing there, however there was an extra profile folder
>> with a lock symbol on it. I removed that and Firefox still refuses to start.
>>

> One thing I have done in the past when Firefox gets confused is to start
> it in a terminal and see if there are any error messages that point to
> the problem. I have also moved the existing profile to another
> directory and let Firefox create a new profile and then restore the
> books marks, saved passwords, etc to the new profile.

I've tried both of those suggestions, plus marking Firefox for complete
removal with Synaptic and applying, then re-installing, and it still
will not start, claiming that it is already running. Starting it with
terminal returns no error messages.

This may have something to do with something really, really stupid that
I recenntly did. I changes some setting from the preferences menu, and
the next time I started File Manager the Desktop folder [I think, can't
remember] was in a different place than normal.

Without ever stopping to think about why or ow it could have moved, I
fired up a root file browser, and moved it back into my user folder.
AFter doing this, the next time I tried to start Nutilus, it wouldn't
start, and complained of the.gnome2 folder being missing.

I used terminal to copy the .gnome2 folder to the root, [I had to create
a root folder as well] and now I have a mess. There is a Desktop folder
at the root of the drive with nothing in it, and several other folders.
If I knew which ones actually belonged there I could maybe fix it.

At one point I was ready to re-install Ubuntu, but my Live CD will not
work anymore.

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 AM
NoOp

On 02/09/2009 07:20 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:

>> One thing I have done in the past when Firefox gets confused is to start
>> it in a terminal and see if there are any error messages that point to
>> the problem. I have also moved the existing profile to another
>> directory and let Firefox create a new profile and then restore the
>> books marks, saved passwords, etc to the new profile.
>>
> I've tried both of those suggestions, plus marking Firefox for complete
> removal with Synaptic and applying, then re-installing, and it still
> will not start, claiming that it is already running. Starting it with
> terminal returns no error messages.

Check for the pid and then kill it. Example:

$ ps -e |grep firefox
25587 ? 00:00:03 firefox

The pid for my currently running firefox is 25587, so to kill it:

$ kill 25587

Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Ray Parrish

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 07:20 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>>> One thing I have done in the past when Firefox gets confused is to start
>>> it in a terminal and see if there are any error messages that point to
>>> the problem. I have also moved the existing profile to another
>>> directory and let Firefox create a new profile and then restore the
>>> books marks, saved passwords, etc to the new profile.
>>>

>> I've tried both of those suggestions, plus marking Firefox for complete
>> removal with Synaptic and applying, then re-installing, and it still
>> will not start, claiming that it is already running. Starting it with
>> terminal returns no error messages.
>>

> Check for the pid and then kill it. Example:
>
> $ ps -e |grep firefox
> 25587 ? 00:00:03 firefox
>
> The pid for my currently running firefox is 25587, so to kill it:
>
> $ kill 25587

It's not running, that command returns no output...

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Without ever stopping to think about why or ow it could have moved, I
> fired up a root file browser, and moved it back into my user folder.
> AFter doing this, the next time I tried to start Nutilus, it wouldn't
> start, and complained of the.gnome2 folder being missing.
>
> I used terminal to copy the .gnome2 folder to the root, [I had to create
> a root folder as well] and now I have a mess. There is a Desktop folder
> at the root of the drive with nothing in it, and several other folders.
> If I knew which ones actually belonged there I could maybe fix it.

Having parts of your home directory owned by root can cause serious
problems. I can't say whether that's the cause of your current problem,
but modifying your home directory as root is usually regrettable.

> At one point I was ready to re-install Ubuntu, but my Live CD will not
> work anymore.

Short of that, first try creating a new user account, logging into it
(GUI) and running Firefox.

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 00:11 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Having parts of your home directory owned by root can cause serious
> problems. I can't say whether that's the cause of your current problem,
> but modifying your home directory as root is usually regrettable.

You can fix the ownership problem by running:

sudo chown -R username:username .

in your home directory. See the man page for chown for details. Be
careful running this command. Be sure your current working directory is
your home directory. Otherwise you can really foul up the ownership of
installed programs, etc. Check the output of 'pwd' before running the
above command. You can find out if files in your home directory are
owned by a user other than yourself by running in your home directory:

find . ! -user username -ls

This will give you a list of the files with the wrong ownership.

If you are uncomfortable doing the above on your entire home directory,
you can do it just on the Firefox stuff by doing:

cd
cd .mozilla/firefox
find . ! -user username -ls

Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
NoOp

On 02/10/2009 06:48 AM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
[snips]

You can find out if files in your home directory are
> owned by a user other than yourself by running in your home directory:
>
> find . ! -user username -ls
>
> This will give you a list of the files with the wrong ownership.

Good suggestion. You might want to pipe that to a text file so that you
can easily view it if the output is too long:

find . ! -user username -ls > ownership