Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Michael Varre

Default apt-cacher slow

Hello all.* I recently setup a new server to act as a dedicated apt-cacher server for all the obvious reasons.* I have Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS installed on all servers.

It seems as though running apt-get update from the apt-cacher server as well as the other regular servers is overall much slower going through the apt-cacher proxy than going direct to internet. My environment is fully Gbit (to internet as well) and hardware is more than sufficient. There are two local resolvers that are underutilizied and run properly.

Sometimes the updates go slow, sometimes they just sit at 99% [Waiting for headers] for about 10 minutes and then it fails (only on some of the repositories, and only sometimes). The updates are actually coming through correctly, and are getting cached and sent on down correctly.

Any ideas on what this speed issue is all about?