Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Default MiB in gparted?

What's with the typo in GParted? I was re-arranging my partitions when
I saw this.
I guess it's time to see if a bug was files about this...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
"Jason Crain"

On Mon, February 9, 2009 12:49 pm, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> What's with the typo in GParted? I was re-arranging my partitions when
> I saw this.

It is intentional.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiB

Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Jason Crain wrote:
> On Mon, February 9, 2009 12:49 pm, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> What's with the typo in GParted? I was re-arranging my partitions when
>> I saw this.
>
> It is intentional.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiB

Feh. Still looks as sloppy as all hell.

Plus, I'm continually surprised as to how many people point to the
wikipedia site as the only source of info, despite the many instances if
it being slanted, abused, or just plain wrong. Yes, there are many
articles which may be correct, but there are enough that one has to go
somewhere else to ensure the validity if the info....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 15:13 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Feh. Still looks as sloppy as all hell.

Blame the storage manufacturers who have redefined MB for all intents
and purposes. Also, I am surprised that you have never seen it before,
it's not all that exotic.

> Plus, I'm continually surprised as to how many people point to
> the wikipedia site as the only source of info, despite the many
> instances if it being slanted, abused,

The chances of anit-MiB nazis vandalizing this particular article are
slim

> or just plain wrong. Yes, there are many
> articles which may be correct, but there are enough that one has to go
> somewhere else to ensure the validity if the info....

It's handy (just type "MiB" into the Firefox search box), easier to read
than an RFC or similar and tech articles are rarely very wrong. As a
critical reader you will have no problem finding and following the links
to outside references (and draw you conclusions if there are none or if
they contradict Wikipedia). I fail to see the problem.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 15:13 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Feh. Still looks as sloppy as all hell.
>
> Blame the storage manufacturers who have redefined MB for all intents
> and purposes. Also, I am surprised that you have never seen it before,
> it's not all that exotic.

Yeah, I've seen it before, been a very long time, though.

>> Plus, I'm continually surprised as to how many people point to
>> the wikipedia site as the only source of info, despite the many
>> instances if it being slanted, abused,
>
> The chances of anit-MiB nazis vandalizing this particular article are
> slim

Yep. Just mainly commenting on wikipedia in general. Yes, this ain't
the place for it, I do realize. Couldn't help myself, I guess.

>> or just plain wrong. Yes, there are many
>> articles which may be correct, but there are enough that one has to go
>> somewhere else to ensure the validity if the info....
>
> It's handy (just type "MiB" into the Firefox search box), easier to read
> than an RFC or similar and tech articles are rarely very wrong. As a
> critical reader you will have no problem finding and following the links
> to outside references (and draw you conclusions if there are none or if
> they contradict Wikipedia). I fail to see the problem.

Yeah, you are correct, and most technical minded people are skepitcal
enough to not completely trust wikipedia (or any sngle source, for that
matter). More just a general grump about others who claim wikipedia to
be on par with real encyclopedias.
Again, apologies for the OT rant.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Jason Crain wrote:
>> On Mon, February 9, 2009 12:49 pm, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>>> What's with the typo in GParted? I was re-arranging my partitions when
>>> I saw this.
>> It is intentional.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiB
>>

> Feh. Still looks as sloppy as all hell.

It's not sloppy. It's compliant with IEC 60027-2, and bypasses a
longstanding ambiguity. What's sloppy is calling something a typo and a
bug, getting corrected, and still refusing to admit you were mistaken.

> Plus, I'm continually surprised as to how many people point to the
> wikipedia site as the only source of info, despite the many instances if
> it being slanted, abused, or just plain wrong. Yes, there are many
> articles which may be correct, but there are enough that one has to go
> somewhere else to ensure the validity if the info....

Please let me know the definitive source you never have to verify
elsewhere. I'm eager to drink from its fountain of flawless
knowledge.</sarcasm>

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Jason Crain wrote:
>>> It is intentional.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiB
>>>
>> Feh. Still looks as sloppy as all hell.
>
> It's not sloppy. It's compliant with IEC 60027-2, and bypasses a
> longstanding ambiguity. What's sloppy is calling something a typo and a
> bug, getting corrected, and still refusing to admit you were mistaken.

Yes, you are correct in it being compliant. At which point did I refuse
to admit I was mistaken? Please enlighten me. Or maybe you didn't bother
to read all of what I said.

>> Plus, I'm continually surprised as to how many people point to the
>> wikipedia site as the only source of info, despite the many instances if
>> it being slanted, abused, or just plain wrong. Yes, there are many
>> articles which may be correct, but there are enough that one has to go
>> somewhere else to ensure the validity if the info....
>
> Please let me know the definitive source you never have to verify
> elsewhere. I'm eager to drink from its fountain of flawless
> knowledge.</sarcasm>

Again, putting words in my email message. I never said I had one
definitive source. What I did say, actually imply, in a different
message was that people should always be wary of what one place says is
fact.
Also, what I'm saysig is that Wikipedia has more errors & issues than
other repositories of imformation.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> Again, putting words in my email message. I never said I had one
> definitive source. What I did say, actually imply, in a different
> message was that people should always be wary of what one place says is
> fact.
> Also, what I'm saysig is that Wikipedia has more errors & issues than
> other repositories of imformation.

A) Wikipedia has references to things you can't easily find in
"reputable" sources (Where do you find the history of Optimus Prime?
Hasbro? Some other...non-reputable...fansite?)

B) Wikipedia has been found to be largely on par with several of the big
boys in "reputation" in terms of average errors while providing far more
topics of reference

C) If you want to know the sources, most articles in Wikipedia include a
set of reference links to follow, or a disclaimer when there's missing
sources.

I'm so tired of hearing bull excuses about having to use "reputable"
sources when every damn source can have some angle on their news and
information. There are reporters who make crap up, and authors that make
things up in the first place passed as truth, news stories that just
give bits and pieces of a story (how many stories are flying around
about Michael Phelps now? And then every pro- and anti-pot news flash is
trying to get their piece of the pot pie?? Story: He smoked weed.
Everything else is trying to get you to sympathize with a particular
angle on the story...)

And as to the poster not having a definitive source, please don't bitch
about XYZ without offering an alternative. Otherwise it's more pointless
than bringing a wikipedia debate to an Ubuntu tech forum. If something
in the Wiki is wrong, people can feel free to correct it and find
references to refute what's stated.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>> Again, putting words in my email message. I never said I had one
>> definitive source. What I did say, actually imply, in a different
>> message was that people should always be wary of what one place says is
>> fact.
>> Also, what I'm saysig is that Wikipedia has more errors & issues than
>> other repositories of imformation.
>
> A) Wikipedia has references to things you can't easily find in
> "reputable" sources (Where do you find the history of Optimus Prime?
> Hasbro? Some other...non-reputable...fansite?)

Not disputed.

> B) Wikipedia has been found to be largely on par with several of the big
> boys in "reputation" in terms of average errors while providing far more
> topics of reference

Not as far as I've seen. From what I've read, it's not as reliable.

> C) If you want to know the sources, most articles in Wikipedia include a
> set of reference links to follow, or a disclaimer when there's missing
> sources.

Yes, most articles do. They have references to back up their point of view.

> I'm so tired of hearing bull excuses about having to use "reputable"
> sources when every damn source can have some angle on their news and
> information. There are reporters who make crap up, and authors that make
> things up in the first place passed as truth, news stories that just
> give bits and pieces of a story (how many stories are flying around
> about Michael Phelps now? And then every pro- and anti-pot news flash is
> trying to get their piece of the pot pie?? Story: He smoked weed.
> Everything else is trying to get you to sympathize with a particular
> angle on the story...)

Yes, people make stuff up. If someone says they're not biased, then
they are a lying sack of shit.

> And as to the poster not having a definitive source, please don't bitch
> about XYZ without offering an alternative. Otherwise it's more pointless
> than bringing a wikipedia debate to an Ubuntu tech forum. If something
> in the Wiki is wrong, people can feel free to correct it and find
> references to refute what's stated.

I never bitched about not having a definitive source. I merely stated
my opinion that wikipedia is not always as trustworthy as their
followers make it out to be.
Do make note that I said "my opinion" in the above paragraph.

Yes, complaining about something without suggesting an option is
stupid. Same as bringing an OT debate here. Which isn't what I did.
Please re-read my third message on this topic, dated 2/9/2009 15:54PM
(EST) where I did recognize that wikipedia is OT here; I stated that I
was putting in my _opinion_; and apologized for the 'rant' of sorts.
I would've let it go (this thread), but when someone inserts meaning
into my message that wasn't there; or attacks me in anyway, I will
defend myself.

If you're in anyway confused about my message, please ask politely,
like an adult; and I will do my best to explain and reply in kind. Let's
just keep this civil, shall we?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

I am one of those who think it's important to separate MB from MiB (and GB from GiB etc etc), just for the simple reason that there is a big difference. It's not htat hard either: 1 MB = 10⁶ bytes = 1000000 bytes, 1 MiB = 2²⁰ bytes = 1048576 bytes.

However, I can't really say that I can see clearly why MiB is necessary these days. Why not just skip it and only use MB, GB and so on, really meaning MB, GB and so on? All hard drives capacity are in MB, GB or TB anyway, not MiB, GiB or TiB.

What's wrong with saying 65,6 kB instead of 64,0 KiB? My interna drive in this old laptop is 160 GB, so why would I say 149 GiB?

Just skip the binary prefixes and use the good old decimal ones. It's not that complicated for anyone with a brain.

And, as a parallel in the "real" world, I still don't understand why people say things like 325800 km rather than 325.8 Mm, which is the same thing but the latter is shorter and better.