Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 PM
"Chris Lemire"

Default using telnet to send emails

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Corey Bettenhausen

Chris Lemire wrote:
> How can I send an email using telnet and my mail server including my
> name. For example.
You need to read about the SMTP protocol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0821.txt
-Corey

Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 15:42 -0600, Chris Lemire wrote:

> How can I send an email using telnet and my mail server including my
> name. For example.

You need to understand SMTP. You can look at RFC821 here:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

Here is a dialogue which does what you want:

csh> telnet mail.tic.com 25
Trying 68.14.224.76...
Connected to ns1.tic.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ns1.tic.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1/Debian-8ubuntu1; Fri, 28
Dec 2007 15:08:00 -0700; (No UCE/UBE) logging access from:
wsip-68-14-224-77.ph.ph.cox.net(OK)-wsip-68-14-224-77.ph.ph.cox.net
[68.14.224.77]
helo whatever
250 ns1.tic.com Hello wsip-68-14-224-77.ph.ph.cox.net [68.14.224.77],
pleased to meet you
mail from: smoot@tic.com
250 2.1.0 smoot@tic.com... Sender ok
rcpt to: smoot@tic.com
250 2.1.5 smoot@tic.com... Recipient ok
rcpt to: ccm@tic.com
250 2.1.5 ccm@tic.com... Recipient ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
From: Smoot@tic.com
Subject: test

test message
.
250 2.0.0 lBSM80w5013172 Message accepted for delivery
quit
221 2.0.0 ns1.tic.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Your Momma

That's not what I want. I know how to do that much. That will tell what email address the mail was sent from but not the person sending it.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Kent Paul Dolan

Chris,

Notice in your prior example that you had
"succeeded" on your next to the last attempt, but
went on to try again with _another_ a mail send,
while the previous one was waiting for more input,
generating the "recursive" error message. If you'd
gone ahead instead and done the rest of the email
composing as "Smoot" showed, you'd have succeeded at
doing _something_, but probably not what you
intended.

You really do want to read RFC 821 and RFC 822 as
previously suggested.

It helps at the start for you to know what the valid
formats are for a two part address:

"Christopher Lemire" christopher.lemire@gmail.com
(Christopher Lemire) christopher.lemire@gmail.com
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com> <---- I think.

I'm not sure a space is permitted as shown in that
last one, even if escaped, but I seem to recall it
working okay that way.

Not that I've tried any of these to see if they work
in telnet, though.

xanthian.

Now if everyone would play good citizen and turn off
all the noise they're sending, like PGP siggies,
HTMLized redundant email copies, MIME wrappers,
non-pure 7 bit ASCII that triggers the email
reflecter to base64 encode the whole email body,
multiple quoted copies of the email reflector
siggie, unneeded bulk quoting of prior email, whines
about thread problems that are meaningless to
someone reading the list with a plain text email
client, quoted-printable mangling, Face, vcard, and
similar ego puffery, employer legal mumbo jumbo
trailers, my ubuntu email would be 10% its current
volume, while being much easier to read.

A little due diligence effort to keep mail bulk down
and garbage suppressed at the origin multiplies its
helpfulness when the fanout is so big as this list.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Brad Knowles

On 12/28/07, Chris Lemire wrote:

> How can I send an email using telnet and my mail server including my
> name. For example.

Note that what you put in the headers does not necessarily have to
have anything to do with what you claim as the envelope sender (used
in "MAIL From:") or the envelope recipient (used in "RCPT To:").

The three best explanations I've been able to find for this process are:

http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archive/2005/03/15/Troubleshooting-email_2C00_-the-Telnet-way.aspx
http://arnab.org/notes/using-telnet-to-send-mail-by-smtp
http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>

Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Derek Broughton

Your Momma wrote:

> That's not what I want. I know how to do that much. That will tell what
> email address the mail was sent from but not the person sending it.

Please don't top post. We _know_ what you want, but you don't seem to have
read the RFC.
--
derek

Old 12-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Deežan Chakravarthy

Chris Lemire wrote:

> How can I send an email using telnet and my mail server including my
> name. For example.

What are you trying exactly ? Why not configure pine or mutt ?

--
Deepan
http://codeshepherd.com/