Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Peter Daum

Default gnome: leave + keyboard shortucut for applications

Hi,

I am normally a die-hard fvwm user who just installed ubuntu on a
laptop (I just wanted to get the machine up and running as quickly as
possible and hoped this was a good way).

One thing that is driving me crazy, is that I can't get gnome to pass
<alt>-<tab> on to applications. There is a promising entry in gnome's
keyboard shortcut editor named "move between windows with popup"
(Default binding: alt-tab), but it looks like this is just fake:
independent of the setting, I always get the gnome window switcher,

Does anybody know a way how to get rid of this?
(Gnome 2.24.1/Ubuntu 08.10)

Regards,
Peter Daum

Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 04:20:32PM +0000, Peter Daum wrote:
> I am normally a die-hard fvwm user who just installed ubuntu on a
> laptop (I just wanted to get the machine up and running as quickly as
> possible and hoped this was a good way).
>
> One thing that is driving me crazy, is that I can't get gnome to pass
> <alt>-<tab> on to applications.

I usually use <esc><tab> instead of <alt-tab> in applications that
support it (e.g. all terminal applications and gvim).

> There is a promising entry in gnome's
> keyboard shortcut editor named "move between windows with popup"
> (Default binding: alt-tab), but it looks like this is just fake:
> independent of the setting, I always get the gnome window switcher,
>
> Does anybody know a way how to get rid of this?
> (Gnome 2.24.1/Ubuntu 08.10)

Do you use Compiz? It could be that it's using a different place for
storing its keybinding configuration. If you install
compizconfig-settings-manager, you can probably find it.

Marius Gedminas
--
Power corrupts, but we need electricity.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Peter Daum

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:17:41 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> I usually use <esc><tab> instead of <alt-tab> in applications that
> support it (e.g. all terminal applications and gvim).

so did I - but it's not particularly ergonomic ...

> Do you use Compiz? It could be that it's using a different place for
> storing its keybinding configuration. If you install
> compizconfig-settings-manager, you can probably find it.

you're right - the beast that catches alt-tab is the "static
application switcher" plugin and can be configured via this
compizconfig-settings-manager (living a sheltered sysadmin's
live, I didn't even know there was such a thing

Thanks a lot,
Peter Daum