Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
"Dake K. Odzangba"

Default Mounting DVD for installing programs in synaptic or add/remove programs and question about DVD contents and Burmese

On Monday 09 February 2009 14:36:35 Computer assistance Akatsi wrote:

> Hello

> I have tried to mount a DVD in synaptic and in the add/remove programs (is

> it aptitude it is called?). I tried to click the add cd button in the

> program, but it does not find the DVD. The DVD is Kubuntu DVD, which works

> fine otherwise (it boots and allows me to install it). So i want to add

> this to what i think is called the repository? Whatever, i don't have a

> internet connection, neither do they in Ghana, where i want to help them

> with this offline type of install. And therefor i want them to be able to

> put a DVD, like a Ubuntu og kubuntu in the drive, and see a list of

> programs they can install

I don't use KDE so I'm not sure how Adept (the package manager that comes with kubuntu) handles things like this but Synaptic (the Ubuntu - GNOME - package manager) has a simple menu item for this kind of situation:

Edit > Add CD-ROM

> I also was wondering what the differences are between the DVD and CD? I

> wanted to download the DVD so maybe it would contain more programs for

> those people in Ghana, who dont have much internet access (when they do

> have it, it's slooooow).

Hmm.... I live in Accra (Ghana) and my broadband connection is decent, not to mention affordable - I'm paying for it out of my student allowance. Vodafone has gone to some lengths to make fast broadband connections easily accessible here so maybe you should get one for whoever it is you're trying to help. Zain and iBurst have 5 megabit per second an 7.2 megabit per second packages available although they should cost more than Vodafone's.

AFAIK, the DVD iso is basically the CD iso with additional language support so unless you want to use some exotic language, the CD image will do.

> I was wondering if the DVD install supports Burmese? And is it well

> supported (is most of the main programs in Ubuntu translated)?

> Robert

The language support tool on Intrepid (8.10) includes support for Burmese; I don't know how many applications have been translated into Burmese though. Hey, maybe you should donate some spare time into translating your favorite apps into Burmese.

--

Odzangba,

Blog: http://odzangba.wordpress.com

Registered Linux User #431909

Registered Linux Machines: #337242 #363374 #392526

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
NoOp

On 02/09/2009 07:35 AM, Dake K. Odzangba wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009 14:36:35 Computer assistance Akatsi wrote:

>> I also was wondering what the differences are between the DVD and CD? I
>> wanted to download the DVD so maybe it would contain more programs for
>> those people in Ghana, who dont have much internet access (when they do
>> have it, it's slooooow).
>
> Hmm.... I live in Accra (Ghana) and my broadband connection is decent, not to
> mention affordable - I'm paying for it out of my student allowance. Vodafone
> has gone to some lengths to make fast broadband connections easily accessible
> here so maybe you should get one for whoever it is you're trying to help. Zain
> and iBurst have 5 megabit per second an 7.2 megabit per second packages
> available although they should cost more than Vodafone's.
>
> AFAIK, the DVD iso is basically the CD iso with additional language support so
> unless you want to use some exotic language, the CD image will do.

It is much more than that. Differences are here:

For DVD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/release/
<http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/release/ubuntu-8.10-dvd-i386.list>

For CD:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/
<http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.list>

You can run meld diff on the two list files to see the differences.

$ sudo apt-get install meld

You'll then find it in the Applications|Programming menu.