Old 02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
John

Default Open Ports

Hi.

My laptop is running Ubuntu 8.1 with Gnome (all current automatic
updates installed).

I am using Thunderbird for my email and I have downloaded the two
WebMail extensions to allow me to read various hotmail accounts.

However, every time I start Thunderbird, it reports "Could not connect
to server localhost; the connection was refused". (When I used to use
the identical configuration on a Windoze XP machine, it worked.)

My laptop is connected to my SuSE 10 server (as was the XP machine) and
I know that its firewall to internal computers is fully open and also
that nothing has changed in its configuration whilst I transferred from
XP to Ubuntu.

Also, Thunderbird talks quite happily with the Postfix system on the server.

My main question at the moment is how can I determine which ports are
open on my laptop (I have not configured a firewall on this machine!)?

In effect, the WebMail add-in to Thunderbird is complaining about ports
110, 25 and 143, some (or all) of which must be open to allow T/Bird to
work in the first place!

Hoping for some good pointers, please!

TIA

Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 14:20 +0000, John wrote:

> However, every time I start Thunderbird, it reports "Could not connect
> to server localhost; the connection was refused". (When I used to use
> the identical configuration on a Windoze XP machine, it worked.)

This indicates Thunderbird is trying to connect to itself (e.g.
localhost should be mapped to IP address 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback
interface). I am puzzled why the WebMail add in is trying to make a
connection to localhost and not to a remote email service. Sounds like
something is misconfigured in Thunderbird.

> My main question at the moment is how can I determine which ports are
> open on my laptop (I have not configured a firewall on this machine!)?

If you do not have a firewall, then any port is open, but you need a
service on the port to connect to. You can run

netstat --tcp --listen

to determine which services you have running on your laptop.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
NoOp

On 02/09/2009 06:20 AM, John wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My laptop is running Ubuntu 8.1 with Gnome (all current automatic
> updates installed).
>
> I am using Thunderbird for my email and I have downloaded the two
> WebMail extensions to allow me to read various hotmail accounts.

Give these a try:

Servers Settings:
Server Name: localhost Port 1065

Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Server Name: localhost
Port: 1066
Username: youremailusername@domain
Secure Connection: TLS (if available)

Tools|Addons|WebMail double-click:

POP
Port: 1065
Enable at startup

SMTP
Port: 1066

IMAP:
Port 143:
No longer needed with hotmail - no need to check 'Enable at startup'.

http://webmail.mozdev.org/faq.html
"Some OS's block ports below 1024, set the ports used by Webmail to
values higher then 1024"

Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM
John

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 06:20 AM, John wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> My laptop is running Ubuntu 8.1 with Gnome (all current automatic
>> updates installed).
>>
>> I am using Thunderbird for my email and I have downloaded the two
>> WebMail extensions to allow me to read various hotmail accounts.
>>

> Give these a try:
>
> Servers Settings:
> Server Name: localhost Port 1065
>
> Outgoing Server (SMTP)
> Server Name: localhost
> Port: 1066
> Username: youremailusername@domain
> Secure Connection: TLS (if available)
>
> Tools|Addons|WebMail double-click:
>
> POP
> Port: 1065
> Enable at startup
>
> SMTP
> Port: 1066
>
> IMAP:
> Port 143:
> No longer needed with hotmail - no need to check 'Enable at startup'.
>
> http://webmail.mozdev.org/faq.html
> "Some OS's block ports below 1024, set the ports used by Webmail to
> values higher then 1024"

Thanks, NoOp.

POP Port 1065: fires up on startup.
SMTP Port 1066: fires up on startup.
IMAP: disabled.

Also changed account settings for one account as above but get a new
error message:

'Sending password did not succeed. Mail server localhost responded:
negative vibes from ..@hotmail.co.uk'

Progress, at least!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
John

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

> netstat --tcp --listen

netstat --tcp --listen
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State
tcp 0 0 *:47973 *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 localhost:1065 *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:32777 *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 localhost:1066 *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 localhost:5038 *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:sunrpc *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:sieve *:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:*
LISTEN

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM
NoOp

On 02/09/2009 09:14 AM, John wrote:

> Thanks, NoOp.
>
> POP Port 1065: fires up on startup.
> SMTP Port 1066: fires up on startup.
> IMAP: disabled.
>
> Also changed account settings for one account as above but get a new
> error message:
>
> 'Sending password did not succeed. Mail server localhost responded:
> negative vibes from ..@hotmail.co.uk'
>
> Progress, at least!

http://groups.google.com/group/thunderbird-webmail-extension

Has some items relating to the new hotmail stuff - I only use yahoo.

I found that for Yahoo I had to put in the full name@yahoo.com rather
than just name. Make sure that you have the full username@hotmail.co.uk
in *both* your POP and SMTP settings.

http://webmail.mozdev.org/serversettings.html

Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 14:20 +0000, John wrote:
>
>> However, every time I start Thunderbird, it reports "Could not connect
>> to server localhost; the connection was refused". (When I used to use
>> the identical configuration on a Windoze XP machine, it worked.)
>
> This indicates Thunderbird is trying to connect to itself (e.g.
> localhost should be mapped to IP address 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback
> interface). I am puzzled why the WebMail add in is trying to make a
> connection to localhost and not to a remote email service.

Because the extension is running a server on localhost, acting as a type
of proxy (HTTP->(IMAP or POP3/SMTP)).

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
John

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 09:14 AM, John wrote:
>

>> Thanks, NoOp.
>>
>> POP Port 1065: fires up on startup.
>> SMTP Port 1066: fires up on startup.
>> IMAP: disabled.
>>
>> Also changed account settings for one account as above but get a new
>> error message:
>>
>> 'Sending password did not succeed. Mail server localhost responded:
>> negative vibes from ..@hotmail.co.uk'
>>
>> Progress, at least!

> http://groups.google.com/group/thunderbird-webmail-extension
>
> Has some items relating to the new hotmail stuff - I only use yahoo.
>
> I found that for Yahoo I had to put in the full name@yahoo.com rather
> than just name. Make sure that you have the full username@hotmail.co.uk
> in *both* your POP and SMTP settings.
>
> http://webmail.mozdev.org/serversettings.html

Thanks for the links, NoOp.

I presume that since I'm getting a 'Negative Vibes' message, that I am
actually getting to the outside world. I would feel happier if I could
use ports 110 and 25 as normal rather than switching to ports 1065 and
1066 as recommended earlier. Still, at least I have green indicators on
the webmail panel instead of red ones!

However, the settings I have for the WebMail extension were imported
directly from a (working) set up on an old windoze machine, so all the
usernames have previously worked.

The Google group does not say what the Negative Vibes message actually
indicates!

Persevering...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM
NoOp

On 02/12/2009 01:19 AM, John wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/09/2009 09:14 AM, John wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks, NoOp.
>>>
>>> POP Port 1065: fires up on startup.
>>> SMTP Port 1066: fires up on startup.
>>> IMAP: disabled.
>>>
>>> Also changed account settings for one account as above but get a new
>>> error message:
>>>
>>> 'Sending password did not succeed. Mail server localhost responded:
>>> negative vibes from ..@hotmail.co.uk'
>>>
>>> Progress, at least!

>> http://groups.google.com/group/thunderbird-webmail-extension
>>
>> Has some items relating to the new hotmail stuff - I only use yahoo.
>>
>> I found that for Yahoo I had to put in the full name@yahoo.com rather
>> than just name. Make sure that you have the full username@hotmail.co.uk
>> in *both* your POP and SMTP settings.
>>
>> http://webmail.mozdev.org/serversettings.html
>>

> Thanks for the links, NoOp.
>
> I presume that since I'm getting a 'Negative Vibes' message, that I am
> actually getting to the outside world. I would feel happier if I could
> use ports 110 and 25 as normal rather than switching to ports 1065 and
> 1066 as recommended earlier. Still, at least I have green indicators on
> the webmail panel instead of red ones!
>
> However, the settings I have for the WebMail extension were imported
> directly from a (working) set up on an old windoze machine, so all the
> usernames have previously worked.
>
> The Google group does not say what the Negative Vibes message actually
> indicates!
>
> Persevering...

I wouldn't persevere too much... I am getting negative vibes msgs for my
previously working Yahoo connections as well. Seems that these webmail
proxies all seem to have problems; you/we are afterall leaching off of a
service that is meant for http access anyway & serving up ad's for those
free services are how they pay for it.
So, I've just dumped all of the webmail extensions et al off of my
systems & figure that if I really want pop access to a free Yahoo
account (I don't) I'll fork out the $20 a year for the plus option...
$20 a year is certainly cheaper than the time that it takes to mess with
webmail etc.