Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Lost my Nvidia Driver?

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 08:29 +1300, Jeff wrote:
> Hi, After Running Hardy64 for about a year i have lost my Desktop
> Effects. tried to enable them in Preferences> Appearence but no go.
> Then i tried to enable the Nvidia Driver in Administration > Hardware
> Drivers but all i get there is " No propietary are in use on this
> system"
> Anyone able to help please?

Was the linux-image-* package updated before it stopped working? Do you
have the accompanying new restricted-drivers package installed? If no,
then the linux-image metapackage is probably not installed either,
because it is responsible for installing all needed packages for a new
kernel.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Andrey Zhidenkov

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:38:02AM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 08:29 +1300, Jeff wrote:
> > Hi, After Running Hardy64 for about a year i have lost my Desktop
> > Effects. tried to enable them in Preferences> Appearence but no go.
> > Then i tried to enable the Nvidia Driver in Administration > Hardware
> > Drivers but all i get there is " No propietary are in use on this
> > system"
> > Anyone able to help please?
>
> Was the linux-image-* package updated before it stopped working? Do you
> have the accompanying new restricted-drivers package installed? If no,
> then the linux-image metapackage is probably not installed either,
> because it is responsible for installing all needed packages for a new
> kernel.

I've always used an official NVidia driver, downloaded from nvidia.com.
The bad thing is that i have to build a new kernel module manually any
time, when I update a kernel. I dont' know exactly what drivers used
when you install it from Administration > Hardware. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Jeff wrote:
> Hi, After Running Hardy64 for about a year i have lost my Desktop
> Effects. tried to enable them in Preferences> Appearence but no go.
> Then i tried to enable the Nvidia Driver in Administration > Hardware
> Drivers but all i get there is " No propietary are in use on this
> system"
> Anyone able to help please?
> Jeff

Did you just get a kernel update?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 10:10 +1300, Jeff wrote:
> > Yes that package was and still is installed.

Weird. No idea then, sorry. You might want to search the list archives
using [1] or something, similar issues have been discussed ad nauseam.

[1] <http://www.google.de/search?q=nvidia+ubuntu-users+site%
3Alists.ubuntu.com>

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Jeff