Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Knute Johnson

Default Problems with sendmail and access database?

I've got sendmail 8.14.3 running on a new ubuntu 8.10 server
installation. I just converted over from Fedora and I've found a few
differences. I have several domain names but only want to receive mail
on two of them. I put the two that I don't want into my access file with a;

To:domain.com REJECT

but mail comes through anyway. This worked fine on my Fedora setup so
there must be some subtle difference with ubuntu that I don't know
about. The sendmail.mc files are pretty much the same between systems.

Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge
to rule."

H.L. Mencken

Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Raquel

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 21:33:32 -0800
Knute Johnson <knute2009@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> I've got sendmail 8.14.3 running on a new ubuntu 8.10 server
> installation. I just converted over from Fedora and I've found a
> few differences. I have several domain names but only want to
> receive mail on two of them. I put the two that I don't want into
> my access file with a;
>
> To:domain.com REJECT
>
> but mail comes through anyway. This worked fine on my Fedora setup
> so there must be some subtle difference with ubuntu that I don't
> know about. The sendmail.mc files are pretty much the same between
> systems.
>
> Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Knute Johnson

Have you read the /etc/mail/access file? It gives good examples of
how to block mail.

hint(It may be with your "To:domain.com")

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Knute Johnson

Raquel wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 21:33:32 -0800
> Knute Johnson <knute2009@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got sendmail 8.14.3 running on a new ubuntu 8.10 server
>> installation. I just converted over from Fedora and I've found a
>> few differences. I have several domain names but only want to
>> receive mail on two of them. I put the two that I don't want into
>> my access file with a;
>>
>> To:domain.com REJECT
>>
>> but mail comes through anyway. This worked fine on my Fedora setup
>> so there must be some subtle difference with ubuntu that I don't
>> know about. The sendmail.mc files are pretty much the same between
>> systems.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Knute Johnson
>>

> Have you read the /etc/mail/access file? It gives good examples of
> how to block mail.
>
> hint(It may be with your "To:domain.com")

Thanks Raquel. It turns out the problem was my /etc/hosts file. I had
all the valid domains listed for the IP address. This caused the
envelope to be rewritten to a valid address before the access database
was checked. I took those out and it appears to work just fine now.