Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Graham Watkins

Default Asus Aspire One Network Woes

Greetings,

I've just installed Intrepid onto an Aspire One notebook for a friend of
mine. However, I am having intermittent networking problems. It has
connected long enough to download and install 245 updates (this may be
where the problem started) and Virtual Box (he wants MS Access) but
after the last restart the network was disconnected and I could not
persuade it to connect.

To connect at all, I had to connect the ethernet cable from my desktop
box to the notebook. Switch off the modem, switch it back on and then
start the notebook. This has worked but it isn't working now. When I
start up, the network icon shows that the network is being searched for
but it then reports it as disconnected. Attempts to reconnect fail.

If it's worked before surely it can be made to work again. All tips
gratefully received.

Cheers,

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:57:19 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've just installed Intrepid onto an Aspire One notebook for a friend of
> mine. However, I am having intermittent networking problems. It has
> connected long enough to download and install 245 updates (this may be
> where the problem started) and Virtual Box (he wants MS Access) but
> after the last restart the network was disconnected and I could not
> persuade it to connect.
>
> To connect at all, I had to connect the ethernet cable from my desktop
> box to the notebook. Switch off the modem, switch it back on and then
> start the notebook. This has worked but it isn't working now. When I
> start up, the network icon shows that the network is being searched for
> but it then reports it as disconnected. Attempts to reconnect fail.
>
> If it's worked before surely it can be made to work again. All tips
> gratefully received.
>
> Cheers,

Try if will have your network back when you boot with an older kernel. If
that works, complete the update. It sometimes happens that you get a
newer kernel but not all the (restricted) modules for that kernel.

Aart

Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:57:19 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:
>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> I've just installed Intrepid onto an Aspire One notebook for a friend of
>> mine. However, I am having intermittent networking problems. It has
>> connected long enough to download and install 245 updates (this may be
>> where the problem started) and Virtual Box (he wants MS Access) but
>> after the last restart the network was disconnected and I could not
>> persuade it to connect.
>>
>> To connect at all, I had to connect the ethernet cable from my desktop
>> box to the notebook. Switch off the modem, switch it back on and then
>> start the notebook. This has worked but it isn't working now. When I
>> start up, the network icon shows that the network is being searched for
>> but it then reports it as disconnected. Attempts to reconnect fail.
>>
>> If it's worked before surely it can be made to work again. All tips
>> gratefully received.

I have Intrepid on my laptop too, and the last updated kernel
stopped my WiFi dead! There is something real bad in that kernel! I have
Grub set up to boot on the next-newest kernel and WiFi works just fine.
I hope it will for you.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Raquel

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:39:47 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Intrepid on my laptop too, and the last updated kernel
> stopped my WiFi dead! There is something real bad in that kernel! I
> have Grub set up to boot on the next-newest kernel and WiFi works
> just fine. I hope it will for you.
>
> Karl
I bought this new laptop maybe 3 weeks ago and installed Intrepid
onto it. My wired ethernet works like a charm. Right after I got
Intrepid installed I took the laptop downtown to a hotspot and 8
different networks were located. Now, it doesn't see a thing.

When are developers going to fix the problem? It seems I've read a
lot of complaints about this.

So, going back to the 2.6.27-9 kernel should fix the problem?

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

--Thomas Paine

Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Raquel wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:39:47 -0700
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I have Intrepid on my laptop too, and the last updated kernel
>> stopped my WiFi dead! There is something real bad in that kernel! I
>> have Grub set up to boot on the next-newest kernel and WiFi works
>> just fine. I hope it will for you.
>>
>> Karl
>>
> I bought this new laptop maybe 3 weeks ago and installed Intrepid
> onto it. My wired ethernet works like a charm. Right after I got
> Intrepid installed I took the laptop downtown to a hotspot and 8
> different networks were located. Now, it doesn't see a thing.
>
> When are developers going to fix the problem? It seems I've read a
> lot of complaints about this.
>
> So, going back to the 2.6.27-9 kernel should fix the problem?

I will be amazed if it doesn't fix your WiFi problem. Also the
developers are human and sometimes they do make an error. It happens.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 AM
Shannon McMackin

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Raquel wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:39:47 -0700
>> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have Intrepid on my laptop too, and the last updated kernel
>>> stopped my WiFi dead! There is something real bad in that kernel! I
>>> have Grub set up to boot on the next-newest kernel and WiFi works
>>> just fine. I hope it will for you.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>> I bought this new laptop maybe 3 weeks ago and installed Intrepid
>> onto it. My wired ethernet works like a charm. Right after I got
>> Intrepid installed I took the laptop downtown to a hotspot and 8
>> different networks were located. Now, it doesn't see a thing.
>>
>> When are developers going to fix the problem? It seems I've read a
>> lot of complaints about this.
>>
>> So, going back to the 2.6.27-9 kernel should fix the problem?
>>

> I will be amazed if it doesn't fix your WiFi problem. Also the
> developers are human and sometimes they do make an error. It happens.
>

> Karl

Karl and Raquel,

Did you make sure to install the backports package and the restricted
drivers package for the newer kernel?

Many times we don't have the meta-package installed for those 2 and when
the kernel update comes, it doesn't pull those in as well.

Check synaptic and see if you have those packages. If you do and the
problem still exists, then it's a problem that should be filed as a bug
and will hopefully get addressed at some point. in the meantime,
2.6.27-9 will continue to work.

If you don't have those packages, then install them and test. Report
back what you find. Then it's a case of package mgmt on the end-users part.

I've been bitten by this in the past on previous releases...

Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Shannon McMackin wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Raquel wrote:

>>> I bought this new laptop maybe 3 weeks ago and installed Intrepid
>>> onto it. My wired ethernet works like a charm. Right after I got
>>> Intrepid installed I took the laptop downtown to a hotspot and 8
>>> different networks were located. Now, it doesn't see a thing.
>>>
>>> When are developers going to fix the problem? It seems I've read a
>>> lot of complaints about this.
>>>
>>> So, going back to the 2.6.27-9 kernel should fix the problem?
>>>

>> I will be amazed if it doesn't fix your WiFi problem. Also the
>> developers are human and sometimes they do make an error. It happens.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Karl and Raquel,
>
> Did you make sure to install the backports package and the restricted
> drivers package for the newer kernel?

I have no idea what these are and I have never ever used them,
except on this nVidia machine. If I don't get the restricted drivers
package my video goes to hell. But I have got these nVidia things on
Hardy several times.

> Many times we don't have the meta-package installed for those 2 and when
> the kernel update comes, it doesn't pull those in as well.
>

> Check synaptic and see if you have those packages. If you do and the
> problem still exists, then it's a problem that should be filed as a bug
> and will hopefully get addressed at some point. in the meantime,
> 2.6.27-9 will continue to work.

I have never used these Meta things. But I will try and report back.

Karl

Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Shannon McMackin

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Shannon McMackin wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>> I will be amazed if it doesn't fix your WiFi problem. Also the
>>> developers are human and sometimes they do make an error. It happens.
>>>

>>> Karl
>>>

>> Karl and Raquel,
>>
>> Did you make sure to install the backports package and the restricted
>> drivers package for the newer kernel?
>>
> I have no idea what these are and I have never ever used them,
> except on this nVidia machine. If I don't get the restricted drivers
> package my video goes to hell. But I have got these nVidia things on
> Hardy several times.
>

>> Many times we don't have the meta-package installed for those 2 and when
>> the kernel update comes, it doesn't pull those in as well.
>>

>> Check synaptic and see if you have those packages. If you do and the
>> problem still exists, then it's a problem that should be filed as a bug
>> and will hopefully get addressed at some point. in the meantime,
>> 2.6.27-9 will continue to work.
>>

> I have never used these Meta things. But I will try and report back.
>
> Karl
>
>> If you don't have those packages, then install them and test. Report
>> back what you find. Then it's a case of package mgmt on the end-users part.
>>
>> I've been bitten by this in the past on previous releases...

For clarification, it's called a meta-package. In the case of the
kernel, it's called linux-image as opposed to
linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic. For backports, it's called
linux-backports-modules-intrepid and then linux-restricted-modules.

Any time you do a kernel update, you want to make sure you get all 3.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Karl Larsen

Shannon McMackin wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Raquel wrote:

>>> I bought this new laptop maybe 3 weeks ago and installed Intrepid
>>> onto it. My wired ethernet works like a charm. Right after I got
>>> Intrepid installed I took the laptop downtown to a hotspot and 8
>>> different networks were located. Now, it doesn't see a thing.
>>>
>>> When are developers going to fix the problem? It seems I've read a
>>> lot of complaints about this.
>>>
>>> So, going back to the 2.6.27-9 kernel should fix the problem?
>>>

>> I will be amazed if it doesn't fix your WiFi problem. Also the
>> developers are human and sometimes they do make an error. It happens.
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Karl and Raquel,
>
> Did you make sure to install the backports package and the restricted
> drivers package for the newer kernel?
>
> Many times we don't have the meta-package installed for those 2 and when
> the kernel update comes, it doesn't pull those in as well.
>
> Check synaptic and see if you have those packages. If you do and the
> problem still exists, then it's a problem that should be filed as a bug
> and will hopefully get addressed at some point. in the meantime,
> 2.6.27-9 will continue to work.
>
> If you don't have those packages, then install them and test. Report
> back what you find. Then it's a case of package mgmt on the end-users part.
>
> I've been bitten by this in the past on previous releases...
>

> I am on my laptop now in kernel -11 and looked with the synaptic device and all the -11 restricted and such are shown as installed. I will write a bug on -11 and hope it helps.

Karl

Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Shannon McMackin wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Shannon McMackin wrote:

>>> Karl and Raquel,
>>>
>>> Did you make sure to install the backports package and the restricted
>>> drivers package for the newer kernel?
>>>

>> I have no idea what these are and I have never ever used them,
>> except on this nVidia machine. If I don't get the restricted drivers
>> package my video goes to hell. But I have got these nVidia things on
>> Hardy several times.
>>

>>> Many times we don't have the meta-package installed for those 2 and when
>>> the kernel update comes, it doesn't pull those in as well.
>>>

>>> Check synaptic and see if you have those packages. If you do and the
>>> problem still exists, then it's a problem that should be filed as a bug
>>> and will hopefully get addressed at some point. in the meantime,
>>> 2.6.27-9 will continue to work.
>>>

>> I have never used these Meta things. But I will try and report back.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>>> If you don't have those packages, then install them and test. Report
>>> back what you find. Then it's a case of package mgmt on the end-users part.
>>>
>>> I've been bitten by this in the past on previous releases...
>>>

> For clarification, it's called a meta-package. In the case of the
> kernel, it's called linux-image as opposed to
> linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic. For backports, it's called
> linux-backports-modules-intrepid and then linux-restricted-modules.
>
> Any time you do a kernel update, you want to make sure you get all 3.

I had missed the back port modules and they were not installed. I
installed this for -11 and rebooted and the Wi Fi still is dead. So the
kernel bug report is still valid.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI