Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Compiling, Installing and Running new kernel.

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 18:02 +0530, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
> I compiled the linux kernel with fakeroot make-kpkg commands. It
> compiled and installed fine. But when I tried booting from this new
> kernel, it waits for long time for root filesystem to come up but then
> fails and breaks in busybox shell of initramfs.

You probably did not configure initramfs correctly for the new kernel.
Did you follow the community instructions at [1]?
If you did, then it *should* work fine.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Himanshu Chauhan

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 13:48 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 18:02 +0530, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
> > I compiled the linux kernel with fakeroot make-kpkg commands. It
> > compiled and installed fine. But when I tried booting from this new
> > kernel, it waits for long time for root filesystem to come up but then
> > fails and breaks in busybox shell of initramfs.
>
> You probably did not configure initramfs correctly for the new kernel.
> Did you follow the community instructions at [1]?
> If you did, then it *should* work fine.
>
> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
>
> > I don't
> > know how UUID thing works.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

I am using exactly the old-way as described in the page.

Regards
- Himanshu