Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Ubuntu not booting: system _was_ working

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a two-week old Kubuntu 8.04 installation that is now failing to
> boot. When I start the computer, I get the Kubuntu graphic, then it
> drops to tty1 and I get a text login. When I log in with my username
> and password I get a message that the system is read only.

There must be a reason why the system is read only, probably there are
errors on the / partition. Run e2fsck for that partition.

If that doesn't bring up an error I would reboot and remove the "quiet
splash" options from the kernel command line in the grub menu. Then you
might see the reason why / is mounted read only.

> Other than
> / no partitions are mounted. As /home is it's own partition I cannot
> access my files there.

I think /home can't be mounted because / is read only.

> I then logged in as root (I do have a root
> password) and tried running init 5 however that did nothing.

Why did you expect that "init 5" might help in any way? Runlevel 5 is in
no way special for Ubuntu. All runlevels 2 to 5 are the same unless you
have your own special setup for runlevel 5. The standard runlevel for
Ubuntu is 2.

Nils

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Dotan Cohen

> There must be a reason why the system is read only, probably there are
> errors on the / partition. Run e2fsck for that partition.
>
> If that doesn't bring up an error I would reboot and remove the "quiet
> splash" options from the kernel command line in the grub menu. Then you
> might see the reason why / is mounted read only.

Thanks, I will do that this evening.

>> Other than
>> / no partitions are mounted. As /home is it's own partition I cannot
>> access my files there.
>
> I think /home can't be mounted because / is read only.

That sounds reasonable.

>> I then logged in as root (I do have a root
>> password) and tried running init 5 however that did nothing.
>
> Why did you expect that "init 5" might help in any way? Runlevel 5 is in
> no way special for Ubuntu. All runlevels 2 to 5 are the same unless you
> have your own special setup for runlevel 5. The standard runlevel for
> Ubuntu is 2.

Probably something that I learned in my Fedora days that is not
relevant to *buntu.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Florian Diesch

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a two-week old Kubuntu 8.04 installation that is now failing to
> boot. When I start the computer, I get the Kubuntu graphic, then it
> drops to tty1 and I get a text login. When I log in with my username
> and password I get a message that the system is read only. Other than
> / no partitions are mounted. As /home is it's own partition I cannot
> access my files there. I then logged in as root (I do have a root
> password) and tried running init 5 however that did nothing.
>
> What must I do to diagnose this? Thanks.

Have a look at the output of dmesg

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>