Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Charlie Zender

Default Kubuntu Intrepid not recognizing USB devices

Hi,

My laptop does not notice
When I attach a USB device (cell phone) to it.
There is no "notification" message (asking, e.g.,
if I want to open the device).

How do I start this "notification" service?
In the meantime, how do I mount the device from the command line?
Nothing shows up in /media.

Any help appreciated,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine (949) 824-2987

Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Robert Parker

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Charlie Zender <zender@uci.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop does not notice
> When I attach a USB device (cell phone) to it.
> There is no "notification" message (asking, e.g.,
> if I want to open the device).

In my eeebuntu there is no message the device just opens.

Step1
Get a terminal open and with the phone not connected:

dmesg | tail

Step2
Connect the phone and wait a few seconds, then repeat:

dmesg | tail

You should have some references to USB devices that were not there before.

HTH
Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!