Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Default Server Best Practices --

I have a few projects in mind that are - for me at least - somewhat ambitious.** The question is about best practice / acceptable practice for server installations.* (I have been using Ubuntu desktop on my laptop for a few years now but have a learning curve ahead for setting up and running a server.)*

The question is can all of my projects run successfully on one server, and if not, why would that be a bad idea.* The following are what I have in mind* (I don't think these are all really separate projects, but this is how they are organized in my mind):

Project 1.* Setting up a LAMP server for testing of web pages / apps before transferring them to the commercial site that has my website.
Project 1 (a) Using the same to set up an Intranet page for home documents etc and info* I mention this one because that would be about the maximum limit of the traffic.

Project 2. Setting up a Samba server so that the in house Windows users have lan based redundant* (RAID-1) storage / backup area.

Project 3.* Allowing server to function as remote site for my office automatic backups.

Project 4.* LTSP server both to serve Ubuntu desktops and w/ a virtual machine to serve XP desktops.* (The boxes that would be using this all have their own licenses.* But the hardware was never really adequate and by today's standards pathetic).

The machine currently redundant and tapped as the probable server is a Celeron 2.4 ghz w/ 1.6 Gb RAM.* Ideally I'd like to just add the drives required to support the necessary storage, possibly more ram and get started, one thing at a time.

Anyone care to share their thoughts. experiences, places that I should be reading.* (I always appreciate a RTFM response as long as I know which FM I should read)

Thanks