FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Jose Rodriguez
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

Hi everyone!

I have the following problem: im downloaded ns-allinone-2.33 (network simulator) and while it is installing i get the following error

checking for X11 header files

can't find X includes
otcl-1.13 configuration failed! Exiting ...
Please check http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html
for common problems and bug fixes.

Searching online i found this

It is looking for /usr/include/X11/Intrinsic.h, which is in the libXt-devel package.




You can try installing that package, but it (and libX11-devel) should
have been installed as part of the "X Software Development" group. I
guess you didn't install that whole thing. I always install all
development tools, including all of the optional packages, when
creating a new Linux system.

My question is, how do i upgrade or reinstall that library or the X Software Development??? Im not sure if what i found applies for Ubuntu b/c after that he suggests to use "yum" to update the library while we can use apt-update or aptitude or synaptic.


Hope to hear from you soon
Thanxs everyone
--
A day without sunshine is like, you know...night.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Masood Ahmed
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

On Sunday 08 February 2009 03:22:04 Jose Rodriguez wrote:
> Searching online i found this
>
> *It is looking for /usr/include/X11/Intrinsic.h, which is in the
> libXt-develpackage.
> *
> *You can try installing that package, but it (and libX11-devel) should have
> been installed as part of the "X Software Development" group. I guess you
> didn't install that whole thing. I always install all development tools,
> including all of the optional packages, when creating a new Linux system.*
>
> My question is, how do i upgrade or reinstall that library or the X
> Software Development??? Im not sure if what i found applies for Ubuntu b/c
> after that he suggests to use "yum" to update the library while we can use
> apt-update or aptitude or synaptic.

You can install the headers by using the following command on Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install libx11-dev

Hope that helps,
Masood Ahmed

--
Wiker's Law:
Government expands to absorb revenue and then some.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

Jose Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I have the following problem: im downloaded ns-allinone-2.33 (network
> simulator) and while it is installing i get the following error
>
> *checking for X11 header files
> can't find X includes
> otcl-1.13 configuration failed! Exiting ...
> Please check http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html
> for common problems and bug fixes.
> *
> Searching online i found this
>
> *It is looking for /usr/include/X11/Intrinsic.h, which is in the
> libXt-develpackage.
> *
> *You can try installing that package, but it (and libX11-devel) should have
> been installed as part of the "X Software Development" group. I guess you
> didn't install that whole thing. I always install all development tools,
> including all of the optional packages, when creating a new Linux system.*
>
> My question is, how do i upgrade or reinstall that library or the X Software
> Development??? Im not sure if what i found applies for Ubuntu b/c after that
> he suggests to use "yum" to update the library while we can use apt-update
> or aptitude or synaptic.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon
> Thanxs everyone
>
I got the same software from the writer and have somewhat the same
problem. But it seems to be a little different:

/home/karl/Desktop/ns-allinone-2.33/tk8.4.18/unix/../generic/tk3d.c:247:
error: ‘TkBorder’ has no member named ‘nextPtr’
/home/karl/Desktop/ns-allinone-2.33/tk8.4.18/unix/../generic/tk3d.c:256:
error: ‘gcValues’ undeclared (first use in this function)

It appears that Ubuntu Intrepid does not have tk8.4.18, or I also need
to check if I have the right tools loaded to compile a complex program
like this. I will go to synatic and see I can find a good math package.




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

Masood Ahmed wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2009 03:22:04 Jose Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Searching online i found this
>>
>> *It is looking for /usr/include/X11/Intrinsic.h, which is in the
>> libXt-develpackage.
>> *
>> *You can try installing that package, but it (and libX11-devel) should have
>> been installed as part of the "X Software Development" group. I guess you
>> didn't install that whole thing. I always install all development tools,
>> including all of the optional packages, when creating a new Linux system.*
>>
>> My question is, how do i upgrade or reinstall that library or the X
>> Software Development??? Im not sure if what i found applies for Ubuntu b/c
>> after that he suggests to use "yum" to update the library while we can use
>> apt-update or aptitude or synaptic.
>>
>
> You can install the headers by using the following command on Ubuntu:
>
> sudo apt-get install libx11-dev
>
> Hope that helps,
> Masood Ahmed
>
>
Hi and thank you! That made the compile go a lot further but now it
stops for a reason I do not understand thus:

checking for libtcl8.4... -L../lib -ltcl8.4
checking for init.tcl... ../lib/tcl8.4
checking for http.tcl... ../lib/tcl8.4/http1.0
checking Tcl http.tcl library... yes
checking for tclsh8.4.18... no
checking for tclsh8.4... ../bin/tclsh8.4
checking for tk.h... -I../include
checking for libtk8.4... -L../lib -ltk8.4
checking for tk.tcl... ../lib/tk8.4
checking for X11 header files
can't find X includes
otcl-1.13 configuration failed! Exiting ...
Please check http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html
for common problems and bug fixes.
karl@karl-hardy:~/Desktop/ns-allinone-2.33$

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Masood Ahmed
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

On Sunday 08 February 2009 05:17:20 Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> checking for libtcl8.4... -L../lib -ltcl8.4
> checking for init.tcl... ../lib/tcl8.4
> checking for http.tcl... ../lib/tcl8.4/http1.0
> checking Tcl http.tcl library... yes
> checking for tclsh8.4.18... no
> checking for tclsh8.4... ../bin/tclsh8.4
> checking for tk.h... -I../include
> checking for libtk8.4... -L../lib -ltk8.4
> checking for tk.tcl... ../lib/tk8.4
> checking for X11 header files
> can't find X includes
> otcl-1.13 configuration failed! Exiting ...
> Please check http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html
> for common problems and bug fixes.
> karl@karl-hardy:~/Desktop/ns-allinone-2.33$

Hey Karl,

Are you sure you pasted the correct error message in the second message? The
error message in your first message and the second one is same.

Regards,
Masood Ahmed

--
Liar:
one who tells an unpleasant truth.
-- Oliver Herford

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

Masood Ahmed wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2009 05:17:20 Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> checking for libtcl8.4... -L../lib -ltcl8.4
>> checking for init.tcl... ../lib/tcl8.4
>> checking for http.tcl... ../lib/tcl8.4/http1.0
>> checking Tcl http.tcl library... yes
>> checking for tclsh8.4.18... no
>> checking for tclsh8.4... ../bin/tclsh8.4
>> checking for tk.h... -I../include
>> checking for libtk8.4... -L../lib -ltk8.4
>> checking for tk.tcl... ../lib/tk8.4
>> checking for X11 header files
>> can't find X includes
>> otcl-1.13 configuration failed! Exiting ...
>> Please check http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html
>> for common problems and bug fixes.
>> karl@karl-hardy:~/Desktop/ns-allinone-2.33$
>>
>
> Hey Karl,
>
> Are you sure you pasted the correct error message in the second message? The
> error message in your first message and the second one is same.
>
> Regards,
> Masood Ahmed
>
>
I checked and this is a different point that the installer stopped.
It appears that your suggestion got it this far which is much further
than the first.

The error here is it can't find the X includes, whatever that is. :-)

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Masood Ahmed
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

On Sunday 08 February 2009 18:09:26 Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Masood Ahmed wrote:
>> ...
> > Are you sure you pasted the correct error message in the second message?
> > The error message in your first message and the second one is same.
>
> ...
> I checked and this is a different point that the installer stopped.
> It appears that your suggestion got it this far which is much further
> than the first.
>
> The error here is it can't find the X includes, whatever that is. :-)

The package libx11-dev contains the X includes. You can try installing the
package libxt-dev

sudo apt-get install libxt-dev

--
To have died once is enough.
-- Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default Upgrade libXt-devel

Masood Ahmed wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2009 18:09:26 Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Masood Ahmed wrote:
>>
>>> ...
>>> Are you sure you pasted the correct error message in the second message?
>>> The error message in your first message and the second one is same.
>>>
>> ...
>> I checked and this is a different point that the installer stopped.
>> It appears that your suggestion got it this far which is much further
>> than the first.
>>
>> The error here is it can't find the X includes, whatever that is. :-)
>>
>
> The package libx11-dev contains the X includes. You can try installing the
> package libxt-dev
>
> sudo apt-get install libxt-dev
>
>
That did it! It compiled to completion. Now I have to figure out how
to use this thing.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org