Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Mario Spinthiras

Default Pxe booting ubuntu live cd

Greetings everyone,

I am attempting to boot a live cd system based on the ubuntu
installation iso. So far I have done the following.

1. Setup a dhcp/tftp server
2. Setup pxelinux as required by specification
3. Put initrd.gz and vmlinuz in the right places.
4. Setup apache and have filesystem.squashfs in /var/www .
4. It wont boot as intended.

My ultimate goal is to have everything in memory , no NFS as root ,
instead I want a ramdisk to contain the root filesystem. I have been
unable to do so. My pxelinux.cfg/default file looks like this:

default Linux
label Linux
boot=casper (I have also tried local , if you try casper it simply
says that it couldnt find a live cd image in capser.log)
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz
ramdisk=6400000
root=/dev/ram0 rw
fetch=http://192.168.22.2/filesystem.squashfs

It gets stuck at "Gave up waiting for root device" , it also says
"ALERT! /dev/ram0 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!" and then drops
me to a busybox shell.

Has anyone else gone through a setup similar to this? Any help would
be apreciated , this one kind of has me stuck.

Regards,
Mario